Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you support giving Ukraine F-16s
Yes 198 39.52%
No 254 50.70%
Unsure 49 9.78%
Voters: 501. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2023, 08:16 AM

25,705 posts, read 17,477,129 times

Advertisements

You can buy a loaf of bread in Russia for 143.75 rubles. That's $1.41.

But if you can't afford that - and evidently many people cannot - you can take out a loan and pay 11.99 rubles/month.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2023, 08:38 AM

5,205 posts, read 4,696,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Listener2307 View Post

But if you can't afford that - and evidently many people cannot - you can take out a loan and pay 11.99 rubles/month.

I'm waiting for the digital ruble to really improve the lives of the average Russian. The Putin apologists should be happy with this development. Imagine trying to avoid being mobilized and the government just turns off your money. When that happens, perhaps Russia might actually have a chance of winning.

Old 08-14-2023, 08:40 AM

14,848 posts, read 8,248,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Listener2307 View Post
From what I saw, the cost of a standard loaf of bread at a regular grocery store is more like 40 rubles. The picture you linked is lacking context. Here is a video uploaded a month ago with a tour through a Russian grocery store. At ~2:20 you can see a standard loaf of bread for 38 rubles. There is another very basic/unbranded loaf of bread above it for 21 rubles, and one to the left of that for 19 rubles.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TzgERDKVqFY

Makes me wonder where your picture came from. Not that I trust anything you post or say ever. I just assume you're always wrong and I'm right 90% of the time.

Last edited by Redshadowz; 08-14-2023 at 08:51 AM..

Old 08-14-2023, 09:28 AM

7,825 posts, read 2,752,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bu2 View Post
Its interesting that ISW seems to have dropped their daily map updates on their main page in the last few days. They still have the time lapse map, but that is a couple weeks behind.
Yea, the site was a little buggy past few days. I kept getting an unsafe site message. It looks like yesterday's 's update is current on the maps. I believe they only update the time lapse map once a month.

Old 08-14-2023, 09:29 AM

7,825 posts, read 2,752,825 times
ISW Update 8/13/23

https://www.understandingwar.org/bac...august-13-2023

Quote:
Aug 13, 2023 - Press ISW

Ukrainian forces conducted counteroffensive operations on at least two sectors of the front on August 13 and reportedly advanced in the western Donetsk-eastern Zaporizhia Oblast area and in western Zaporizhia Oblast. The Ukrainian General Staff reported that Ukrainian forces conducted offensive operations in the Berdyansk (western Donetsk-eastern Zaporizhia Oblast area) and Melitopol (western Zaporizhia Oblast) directions and achieved partial success near Robotyne (western Zaporizhia Oblast, 13km south of Orikhiv). Several Russian sources claimed on August 12 that Russian forces withdrew from Urozhaine (in the Donetsk-Zaporizhia Oblast area), although many Russian sources refuted those claims on August 13 and claimed instead that Russian forces still occupy the southern part of Urozhaine, that fighting is ongoing, and that areas of Urozhaine are contested. ISW has not observed confirmation that Russian forces have completely withdrawn from Urozhaine and Russian forces likely currently maintain positions in at least the southern part of the settlement.

Old 08-14-2023, 10:35 AM

15,583 posts, read 9,253,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redshadowz View Post
From what I saw, the cost of a standard loaf of bread at a regular grocery store is more like 40 rubles. The picture you linked is lacking context. Here is a video uploaded a month ago with a tour through a Russian grocery store. At ~2:20 you can see a standard loaf of bread for 38 rubles. There is another very basic/unbranded loaf of bread above it for 21 rubles, and one to the left of that for 19 rubles.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TzgERDKVqFY

Makes me wonder where your picture came from. Not that I trust anything you post or say ever. I just assume you're always wrong and I'm right 90% of the time.
Listener2307 likes to post outdated information from last year. Russia has pretty much taken care of the economic issues they experienced at the start of the war. The prices have stabilized. The vacancies cause by the exodus of foreign businesses have been taken over by Russian businesses.

The Russian economy is a hundred times better off than the US economy is. If either economy collapses it will be the US, not Russia.

Old 08-14-2023, 10:58 AM

25,705 posts, read 17,477,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudy Dayz View Post
Listener2307 likes to post outdated information from last year. Russia has pretty much taken care of the economic issues they experienced at the start of the war. The prices have stabilized. The vacancies cause by the exodus of foreign businesses have been taken over by Russian businesses.

The Russian economy is a hundred times better off than the US economy is. If either economy collapses it will be the US, not Russia.

I already told you the date of the article. July, 2023. Written by Zahra Tayeb and reporting the thoughts of economist Steve Hanke, who is American economist and professor of applied economics at the Johns Hopkins University in Maryland. Ain't my fault you won't read it.

In other news, dated Aug 14, 2023 (Use caution. This news is a whole day old!):
Russia airline industry in crisis!

Red Wing Airlines is a small Russian airline. They have three Boeing 777's and two of them were grounded for lack of spare parts. Hundreds of Russian passengers bound for the city of Yekaterinburg have been stranded in Antalya, Turkey, for two days after a Red Wing suddenly lost two of its three Boeing 777 aircraft due to technical problems.
Sanctions.
They work!

Old 08-14-2023, 11:49 AM

2,388 posts, read 1,108,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudy Dayz View Post

Cloudy Dayz.....Go Russia Go! ......Russia stronger than ever....yay!
and onward to victory ....all hail Putin....

For me it is the opposite ....F Russia .....sanctions and isolation from the West will hurt Russia long term...
and I'm 100% behind Ukraine....

Old 08-14-2023, 12:55 PM

8,972 posts, read 11,849,614 times
Russian Major Tomov surrendered and gave Ukraine valuable intel that helped with the liberation of the latest settlements.

Old 08-14-2023, 01:06 PM

15,583 posts, read 9,253,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTB365 View Post
Cloudy Dayz.....Go Russia Go! ......Russia stronger than ever....yay!
and onward to victory ....all hail Putin....

For me it is the opposite ....F Russia .....sanctions and isolation from the West will hurt Russia long term...
and I'm 100% behind Ukraine....
Bla, bla, bla, when will that happened? 10 years? 100 Years? 1,000 years? It's already been one and a half years and the sanctions have had no effect. Shouldn't the effects be starting to kick in by now, if they ever do?

The sanctions have had no real effect on the Russian economy, and are unlikely to ever have an effect. The sanctions just make Russia stronger and more independent. I'm not against the sanctions, but that is a fact.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies