Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you support giving Ukraine F-16s
Yes 190 39.50%
No 245 50.94%
Unsure 46 9.56%
Voters: 481. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2022, 10:34 AM

1,651 posts, read 867,120 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnBoy64 View Post
My thoughts exactly. I think this is what a quagmire looks like. Putin did not prepare the Russian people for this scale of a military operation...and he can't afford to look like he made a grave calculation....or...his pride won't let him concede to their actually reality on the ground. As we move forward due to its total mobilization Ukraine has more man power coming online than does Russia and the HIMARS are wreaking havoc on Russia's supply lines. This is not to mention we haven't really seen the full force of the counter-insurgency take effect yet in the occupied areas....that's going to be the bloodiest part of this war....Russia simply doesn't have those type of resources to take this on. Putin just simply put himself in a hole.
At this point I'm starting to have doubts if we will see an insurgency. The areas controlled by Russian forces have fairly large Russian populations. Very possible they could care less who controls their area. Also let's be honest, very few people have the will to give their life to such conflicts. Right now you have Ukrainian refusing to join the front lines of fighting. That should tell you something. You think those people will suddenly be hype for fighting an insurgency?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2022, 12:21 PM

34,279 posts, read 19,375,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ice_Major View Post
You keep saying doom and gloom for the Russian economy but myself and others have provided stats showing otherwise. The West sanctions, while causing pain are not protenant enough to crash the economy and the Russia has other backers (China and India) who are easing the pain by absorbing large portions of the lost. The West is lucky China has held back on providing certain imports. I wonder how much longer that will last? If anything, this war is showing the West is not as dominant in politics and economics as in the past.
It will last until China thinks they can leverage Russia the most. If you want to end up being a chinese serf thats how they will do it to Russia.

Quote:
Russia had 8 years to prepare for these tactics and are thus far successful. You can argue inflation, well inflation in the U.S. is 9.1% and 8.6% in the Eurozone which are 40-year highs. Biden is practically begging Saudi Arabia and others to pump more gas, so the numbers don't become worse. Lastly Russia is largest country on the planet (by land mass), a top 10 country in terms of arable land, a top 3 military power, and a top 3 country in terms of natural resources. It is also a permanent seat on the U.N. council and is the go-to counter to the West for some nations. With these stats it will not be regulated to likes of N. Korea or Venezuela.
I notice you point towards other countries and cite thier inflation....but conveniently leave out Russias.

20%. 20% inflation is utterly insane. But sure, Russias fine. LOL. AND that US incomes went up by about as much as inflation....whereas Russias....Fell.

Old 07-17-2022, 12:54 PM

4,483 posts, read 5,331,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
AND that US incomes went up by about as much as inflation....whereas Russias....Fell.
U.S. incomes have risen as much as inflation?

You DO realize that twice in 2022 alone, CPI numbers have surpassed market forecasts to the extent the highest CPI since 1981 has been registered - and the last time just a few days ago?

You do realize as well that with housing, fuel, and foods rising in prices, fewer and fewer American households are able to save anything at the end of each month?

Do show us the evidence which supports your claims U.S. incomes have risen as much as inflation while Russian incomes have fallen.

Old 07-17-2022, 02:07 PM

7,826 posts, read 2,728,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ice_Major View Post
At this point I'm starting to have doubts if we will see an insurgency. The areas controlled by Russian forces have fairly large Russian populations. Very possible they could care less who controls their area. Also let's be honest, very few people have the will to give their life to such conflicts. Right now you have Ukrainian refusing to join the front lines of fighting. That should tell you something. You think those people will suddenly be hype for fighting an insurgency?
The Russians aren't behaving that way. It doesn't sound like people are exactly getting along that well in the occupied areas. The more the Russians crack the whip in these areas the more the resistance will grow...such is the nature of insurgencies. Your argument may have made more sense prior to 2014 but anti-Russian sentiment has only grown since then amongst the Russian speaking Ukrainians.

https://www.understandingwar.org/bac...ssment-july-16

Quote:
Russian authorities in occupied areas are likely assessing that growing Ukrainian partisan activity seeks to threaten and complicate efforts to institute coherent occupational control and are strengthening administrative regimes accordingly. Ukrainian news source Ria-Melitopol reported on July 16 that Russian authorities in Melitopol have substantially increased Russian military presence in the city and established checkpoints to stop and strip-search civilians.[33] Kherson Oblast Administration similarly warned that Russian occupation authorities in the Kakhovskyi district (near Kherson City) have issued an order to strengthen the access regime for communal enterprises and other checkpoints, which will allow Russian forces to detain suspected Ukrainian “terrorists†for 72 hours for violating controls on the access regime.[34] Ukraine’s Center for Strategic Cooperation noted that Russian authorities are struggling to galvanize public support for occupation administrations in Kharkiv Oblast and in the cities of Melitopol and Mariupol.[35] These reports indicate that Russian authorities perceive a growing threat to the consolidation of occupational regimes and will likely continue efforts to crack down on pro-Ukrainian sentiments and actions in occupied areas

Old 07-17-2022, 02:19 PM

51,653 posts, read 25,819,464 times
It looks to me like the Ukrainians are focusing long-range missiles on weapons storages areas, and command centers.

I'm no military expert, I just play one here on C-D, but it seems to me that this is the ideal scenario for an insurgency.

Ordinary people, going about their business, relay information on the location of one thing and another, and then there's a missile strike.

Why sneak around, tying dynamite to RR trestles, and other such risky maneuvers, when you can just phone in coordinates?

Old 07-17-2022, 04:15 PM

1,108 posts, read 528,882 times
It will last as long as the press keeps hunters laptop crap secret and biden has to provide guns and ammo because he knows what will happen if he doesn't.

Old 07-17-2022, 04:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprawling_Homeowner View Post
U.S. incomes have risen as much as inflation?

You DO realize that twice in 2022 alone, CPI numbers have surpassed market forecasts to the extent the highest CPI since 1981 has been registered - and the last time just a few days ago?

You do realize as well that with housing, fuel, and foods rising in prices, fewer and fewer American households are able to save anything at the end of each month?

Do show us the evidence which supports your claims U.S. incomes have risen as much as inflation while Russian incomes have fallen.
Don't misqoute me, I said about. Its certainly enough that inflation isn't quite as bad as people claim. I will 100% agree its still high though. Russias got it about 3X worse for example

Old 07-17-2022, 05:29 PM

4,972 posts, read 2,712,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
It looks to me like the Ukrainians are focusing long-range missiles on weapons storages areas, and command centers.

I'm no military expert, I just play one here on C-D, but it seems to me that this is the ideal scenario for an insurgency.

Ordinary people, going about their business, relay information on the location of one thing and another, and then there's a missile strike.

Why sneak around, tying dynamite to RR trestles, and other such risky maneuvers, when you can just phone in coordinates?
With the large availability of cell phones, certainly it makes sense to phone in coordinates. But both sides are doing it. Spies are everywhere.

Old 07-17-2022, 05:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BusinessManIT View Post
With the large availability of cell phones, certainly it makes sense to phone in coordinates. But both sides are doing it. Spies are everywhere.
If this is true then it REALLY drives home the incompetency of the Russian military. The airforce especially. If they have decent intel, then they should hitting those military ammo dumps etc.

Old 07-17-2022, 05:44 PM

4,972 posts, read 2,712,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
If this is true then it REALLY drives home the incompetency of the Russian military. The airforce especially. If they have decent intel, then they should hitting those military ammo dumps etc.
The Russians ARE hitting Ukrainian ammo dumps and other military targets. They do have decent Intel via their Aerospace Forces. Nevertheless, on the ground cellphone intelligence remains useful, through their spies and ordinary people with cellphones who want to help. Any decent analyst will tell you that you can never have too much Intel. The more the better.

And the "incompetent" Russians are advancing. I don't see the Ukrainian military chasing them out of their country despite outnumbering the Russian forces. Who is really incompetent? Actions not words speak the loudest.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies