Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you support giving Ukraine F-16s
Yes 190 39.42%
No 246 51.04%
Unsure 46 9.54%
Voters: 482. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2022, 09:46 AM

7,826 posts, read 2,729,107 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by brrabbit View Post
Especially if there is no Russians around and the shell came from Ukrainian Territorial Defense. That sure will make you love Ukrainian government.
Nope....people have the ability to discern the only reason that shell landed is because Putin invaded Ukraine.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2022, 09:55 AM

3,368 posts, read 2,892,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnBoy64 View Post
Nope....people have the ability to discern the only reason that shell landed is because Putin invaded Ukraine.
And so we can continue back for 800 years... One Ukrainian guy was insisting that it's a war between who has the right to be called Russian (obviously he argued that Russians are mongrels between little of True Russian blood, little native Nordic tribes influence (those who live as Eskimos) and mostly Tatars, while Western Ukrainians are purebred True Russians. And until this dispute is settled there could be no peace.

But I believe all wars are continuing only as long as they are economically profitable. And we will have peace sooner or later. Ukraine will see the wisdom of the Dark Lord and join the Empire.

Old 06-03-2022, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brrabbit View Post
And so we can continue back for 800 years... One Ukrainian guy was insisting that it's a war between who has the right to be called Russian (obviously he argued that Russians are mongrels between little of True Russian blood, little native Nordic tribes influence (those who live as Eskimos) and mostly Tatars, while Western Ukrainians are purebred True Russians. And until this dispute is settled there could be no peace.

But I believe all wars are continuing only as long as they are economically profitable. And we will have peace sooner or later. Ukraine will see the wisdom of the Dark Lord and join the Empire.

Well..that may all be well and true...but in the current day I don' see Ukraine seeing any wisdom of the Dark Lord or joining any Empire. That has about as much chance as the US joining Great Britain.

Old 06-03-2022, 10:33 AM

This is a pretty decent update today from KO's

Ukraine Update: As Russia focuses on a single city, Ukraine makes moves near Kharkiv and Kherson

https://www.dailykos.com/stories/202...iv-and-Kherson

Old 06-03-2022, 10:56 AM

102,211 posts, read 107,931,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Listener2307 View Post
Does ANYONE report it?
No?
Show us who "reports" it. 'Cause we ain't gonna take your word for it.
I posted BBC articles saying something similar a week ago. They said, the Ukrainian soldiers were abandoning their positions in the east. Yet, the battle continues, so I didn't know what to make of those reports. I mean, it was the BBC, not Radio Free Putin. So I take the overly-optimistic pro-Ukraine reports with a grain of salt, to some extent. I haven't checked today, but as of yesterday, there were reports, that Ukraine has shifted its attention to the coastal region, regaining some lost territory.

edit: I just did a quick check for updates. There are conflicting reports about what's going on in Severodonetsk, but Ukraine hasn't abandoned it, they're still fighting. The contradictions are about how much they've achieved there. Some say, they're only holding on long enough, to allow residents to escape.

Old 06-03-2022, 11:39 AM

8,943 posts, read 11,786,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by double6's View Post
Putin is on his way out..someone tried to kill him in March, and then he had surgery for advanced cancer in April..

die you freaking scumbag..
https://www.newsweek.com/exclusive-p...eb51cecba9b987
He is a monster alright, but most of them are. If he is dead, they won't just pack up and leave Ukraine. They will replace him someone else who could be worse, or better. We just don't know. Most people think the Russian bots are spreading the most ridiculous lies. But many Russians truly believe the narrative that Russia is king and everyone else is inferior. They say this war won't be over until they drive a stake through Zenlensky.

Old 06-03-2022, 11:43 AM

26,788 posts, read 22,556,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
Oh, I don't know about that.

I thought the big reason the MAGA types wore their "I'd rather be a Russian than a Democrat" t-shirts was that Russia was almost exclusively white.

No?

Oh Russia doesn't have Africans or Middle Easterners, but it's definitely not "white" as in "European whites."
It has plenty of other ethnic groups, that are well-adjusted in Russian culture.

Why? Because Russians historically kept them on their ancestral lands. Only those of them that were willing to get away from their own and to settle among Russians, were heading to the big Russian cities.

Likewise the ethnic Russians who wanted to live side by side with these ethnic groups were moving to their territories and were accepted by the locals.

So it's not all about the "Russian subjugation and exploitation" as anti-Russian propaganda would like you to believe. There is the other side to it too - these people benefited to become part of the more socially and technically advanced state and culture.

But as I've said Russians were absorbing only people from their own continent - the ones they could assimilate, with only notable exception of the Northern Caucasus.

That was the only place they've run into significant problem back in the 19th century.

Old 06-03-2022, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Listener2307 View Post
Does ANYONE report it?
No?
Show us who "reports" it. 'Cause we ain't gonna take your word for it.

Of course, the Russian military channels, and not military only.

I too see more and more public appeals of Ukrainian troops about the poor state of their units, low rate of survival, the inadequate supply of ammunition/food and what not. They literally are saying that they are used as cannon fodder by Kiev, they are ill-prepared, and their officers often abandon them after delivering them to the front lines.They record and post these videos on line themselves - we ( the Russian speakers) can see them.

And more and more often they are Ukrainian speakers, not the Russian ones.

And that's what people in the know on the military channels are saying that, as long as it's the Russian speakers from the Eastern regions - "they fight till the last man, they are more like our own."
But once the Western Ukrainians are sent to the Eastern front, they refuse more and more to fight for Donbass.

Of course Western media does not report any of it, although it easily could, all those *observers,* watching these videos posted in the social media.

But you already know the difference between propaganda and objective reporting by now, I hope.

Old 06-03-2022, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken_N View Post
I have also seen video of DNR folks refusing to fight in or for LNR, saying it is a separate republic and why should they fight for them?

Yes I remember this case - these were the newbies, from forced mobilization, and they were complaining about the poor preparation to be on the front lines ( they've been told that they'd be supporting troops only locally or something like that.)
At least Russians sent them some superiors to look into their complaints, whereas Ukrainian government simply took the "public complainers" straight to jail, as "defectors."
I am familiar with this case too.

Old 06-03-2022, 12:02 PM

3,225 posts, read 1,606,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by erasure View Post
Oh Russia doesn't have Africans or Middle Easterners, but it's definitely not "white" as in "European whites."
It has plenty of other ethnic groups, that are well-adjusted in Russian culture.

Why? Because Russians historically kept them on their ancestral lands. Only those of them that were willing to get away from their own and to settle among Russians, were heading to the big Russian cities.

Likewise the ethnic Russians who wanted to live side by side with these ethnic groups were moving to their territories and were accepted by the locals.

So it's not all about the "Russian subjugation and exploitation" as anti-Russian propaganda would like you to believe. There is the other side to it too - these people benefited to become part of the more socially and technically advanced state and culture.

But as I've said Russians were absorbing only people from their own continent - the ones they could assimilate, with only notable exception of the Northern Caucasus.

That was the only place they've run into significant problem back in the 19th century.
Everything old is new again

Population transfer in the Soviet Union

From 1930 to 1952, the government of the Soviet Union, ordered by Soviet leader Joseph Stalin and executed by the NKVD official Lavrentiy Beria, forcibly transferred populations of various groups. These actions may be classified into the following broad categories: deportations of "anti-Soviet" categories of population (often classified as "enemies of workers"), deportations of entire nationalities, labor force transfer, and organized migrations in opposite directions to fill ethnically cleansed territories. Dekulakization marked the first time that an entire class was deported, whereas the deportation of Soviet Koreans in 1937 marked the precedent of a specific ethnic deportation of an entire nationality.
[…]
The Soviet Union also practiced deportations in occupied territories, with over 50,000 perishing from the Baltic States and 300,000 to 360,000 perishing during the expulsion of Germans from Eastern Europe due to Soviet deportation, massacres, and internment and labour camps.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Popula...e_Soviet_Union
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies