Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you support giving Ukraine F-16s
Yes 190 39.42%
No 246 51.04%
Unsure 46 9.54%
Voters: 482. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2022, 09:05 AM

25,947 posts, read 24,752,932 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bu2 View Post
Russia is establishing propaganda channels in Ukraine as well.
https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-61441192

"...The company, whose name translates as Southern Front, makes and distributes pro-Vladimir Putin propaganda across YouTube, social media app Telegram, and through a website that targets areas newly under Russian control.

The Southern Front news site posted its first message on day one of the Russian invasion of Ukraine, and now has several correspondents filing stories on a daily basis.

The BBC has found evidence that the site's reporting contains falsehoods and misleading claims....

Despite the attack, the site was up and running again shortly afterwards.

There are worrying signs for residents if the project establishes itself. After nearby Crimea was annexed in 2014, independent media outlets were expelled, says Ms Smirnova.

"In southern Ukraine, Russian authorities are likely to follow a similar path by threatening and arresting independent journalists, silencing independent media outlets and replacing them with propaganda channels.""

That's kind of funny because Ukraine is the country that has outlawed independent media, freedom of press etc. in that country.

When a complete propaganda outlet like the BBC says it found evidence of falsehood on another site, it basically confirms that the other site is correct.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2022, 09:14 AM

I just read an interesting, detailed explanation of Nazism in Ukraine. It was in German, but Google did a pretty good translation:

Quote:
WE ARE AT WAR WITH NEONACISM. BUT WHAT IS THIS IN THE UKRAINIAN VERSION? MANY PEOPLE HAVE NO IDEA WHAT A MIGHTY ENEMY WE ARE DEALING WITH.

First of all, it is important to understand what Azow is all about. A common misconception is that it is a regiment. And this is completely wrong, Azov is not a military formation at all, but a paramilitary political movement.

Azov is headed by the SNA, the Social-Nationalist Assembly (a political organization). Their names have changed, but their core has remained the same - it is the Kharkov-based neo-Nazi organization around which the entire Azov movement was formed. It is important to realize that these are not Ukrainian nationalists, but neo-Nazis, supporters of white supremacy. They are the equivalent of the NSDAP (the Nazis of Fascist Germany 1920-45).

A step below the SNA in "Azov" is a mass political movement - the "National Corps". Against the background of the failure of the old Ukrainian nationalists, the NK has grown and successfully infiltrated smaller neo-Nazi organizations. It is not an official imitation of politics, but a real, ideological, young and active movement of Ukrainian neo-Nazis.

The Ukrainian equivalent of the German SA (Nazi stormtroopers in Germany before 1945) are the "National Druzhiny" who managed to become the only mass organization of "street politics" in today's Ukraine. They managed to unite the Ukrainian skinheads and then successfully took over the youth wing of the decadent Svoboda Tyahnybok (Ukrainian nationalist and politician). As a result, the Azov National Druzhiny have extended their influence across Ukraine and into areas where classic Ukrainian nationalists have traditionally been strong, and are just as influential in their eastern regions.

Azov has its own network of children's camps, Azovets, as well as youth organizations equivalent to the Hitler Youth. Azov also successfully ousted the nationalist scouts SICH, SPOK and even Plast (12,000 young people).

Behind this system are simple skinheads, youth street gangs, a variety of sports organizations and clubs, veterans and other communities. The vast "Night World" is also located under Azov, where the members of the organization have become the leaders of the criminal world. Azov also has its own business, press, literature, music... There are cities that they rule unofficially or even almost openly, one of them was Mariupol, another Kharkov.

And now we can move on to the military units of Azov. First of all, it is the Azov regiment of the Ukrainian Ministry of Internal Affairs, the equivalent of the SS (the main Nazi force in Germany 1020-45). The Azov regiment has its own selection of applicants, its own training schools, its own ranks and complete autonomy. It is the elite of the organization and at the same time the elite of the Ukrainian security forces, which is not directed by the headquarters but by the White Leader.

But that's not all. The members of the organizations serve not only in the elite regiment, but in all security forces of Ukraine. From the first day of the war, Azov began to form new units; in Kharkov alone they have deployed at least two territorial defense brigades. And there are the Kiev brigades, the SDF detachment and many others. And there is not only the brigade regiment level, but also battalions and local Azov commands.

Old 06-01-2022, 09:22 AM

7,826 posts, read 2,729,107 times
Interesting news from the front. You have to hand it to the Russian milbloggers. they do bring levity to the picture. Much like this Ukrainian Military journalist that painted a realistic view of how treacherous the Ukrainian situation is in the East. If the Russian attack begins to fade.....that's a signal they are approaching culmination....things will get very interesting at that point. Just looking for the reality on the ground during this deep Fog Bank of War.

https://twitter.com/IAPonomarenko/st...07533824311297

Quote:
Russians now control nearly 70% of Sievierodonetsk.
The Ukrainian command opted in favor of an organized gradual retreat to Lysychansk, which is more convenient for defense, rather than holding the ground until the last man standing.
The garrison has not been cut off supplies.

Russians will now continue with their frantic frontal attacks on Lysychansk and attempts to cross the river between the twin cities. Their attempts to strike the Ukrainian rear and surround the garrison have been unsuccessful. So they go frontal at any price, why not.

Meanwhile, Russian milbloggers like Igor Girkin admit the Russian offensive operation in the region is fading out and Russia is running very short of combined arms reserves.

Old 06-01-2022, 09:23 AM

25,578 posts, read 17,298,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
Russians take it slowly because they have been ordered to spare civilians...................
Yeah.
I'll be adding you to my ignore list.

Old 06-01-2022, 09:26 AM
bu2

24,108 posts, read 14,896,004 times
Another story of mistreatment of Ukrainian POWs
https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-61637915

"...Back in Mr Stryzhko's stuffy hospital room, he recalled his treatment by the Russian side, or lack of it.

"Some nurses would bring food and feed me, as I could not sit and had my jaw broken," he says.

"The others would put the food down and say: 'Try and eat that, you Ukrainian low life!'" Mr Stryzhko's injuries meant that he could not feed himself.

"The food stayed for several hours untouched. She came back asking if I was full and took it back. We were there without any anaesthetics. I believed I had to survive; it was all I could do."

These medical staff were Russian-supporting Ukrainians living in the occupied areas of Donbas. Mr Stryzhko says he didn't feel angry towards them. "They lived under Russian propaganda for eight years, and the hatred I experienced was a result of this."

He remembers the Chechen fighters and Russian soldiers guarding them. The Chechens would come at night and taunt him running a knife along his body. "Too bad it is forbidden to cut off your ear," they said, watched by the Russian soldiers...."

Old 06-01-2022, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Listener2307 View Post
Yeah.
I'll be adding you to my ignore list.
Yeah, go ahead, stick your head in the sand

Old 06-01-2022, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bu2 View Post
Another story of mistreatment of Ukrainian POWs
https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-61637915

"...Back in Mr Stryzhko's stuffy hospital room, he recalled his treatment by the Russian side, or lack of it.

"Some nurses would bring food and feed me, as I could not sit and had my jaw broken," he says.

"The others would put the food down and say: 'Try and eat that, you Ukrainian low life!'" Mr Stryzhko's injuries meant that he could not feed himself.

"The food stayed for several hours untouched. She came back asking if I was full and took it back. We were there without any anaesthetics. I believed I had to survive; it was all I could do."

These medical staff were Russian-supporting Ukrainians living in the occupied areas of Donbas. Mr Stryzhko says he didn't feel angry towards them. "They lived under Russian propaganda for eight years, and the hatred I experienced was a result of this."

He remembers the Chechen fighters and Russian soldiers guarding them. The Chechens would come at night and taunt him running a knife along his body. "Too bad it is forbidden to cut off your ear," they said, watched by the Russian soldiers...."

That's what he claims... And really, when you think of the attempted genocide against Russian-speakers for 8 years now, could anyone blame them if they did not treat a Ukrainian pow well?

I find it funny when Ukrainians of all people talk about others living under Russian propaganda
That's like a KKK member accusing others of being racist...

Old 06-01-2022, 09:59 AM

21,430 posts, read 7,459,324 times
Quote:
That's what he claims... And really, when you think of the attempted genocide against Russian-speakers for 8 years now ...
You are out of line even suggesting it. This is total and deliberate dis-information, just like straight out of Olgino.

There are Russian speakers ALL OVER eastern Ukraine, there hasn't been any genocide. Most of the Russian speakers in Ukraine are supporting the Ukrainian government against Putin's subterfuge of 2014 and the full scale invasion of 2022. They fill the ranks of Ukrainians defending their homeland.

In fact, the president of Ukraine is a Russian speaker! The Russian speakers of Ukraine are not only full citizens with all the protections and privileges of citizenry accorded them, but in the last election they were able to put their favorite into office to run the country. Some genocide

If anything, Putin's brigands have been carrying out more of an actual genocide against the Russian speaking Ukrainians they pretend to care about. They have targeted apartment blocks, schools, theaters and hospitals with their missiles and killed many people. Yes, that's right, they KILLED many Russian speaking Ukrainians with their wanton destruction, damaged their homes and then looted their possessions.

The Russian invaders are disgusting.

Old 06-01-2022, 10:11 AM

5,210 posts, read 4,673,749 times
Quote:
That's kind of funny because Ukraine is the country that has outlawed independent media, freedom of press etc. in that country.

When a complete propaganda outlet like the BBC says it found evidence of falsehood on another site, it basically confirms that the other site is correct.
I heard Russia invaded Ukraine to solve their problem of low journalistic integrity.

Old 06-01-2022, 10:12 AM

2,395 posts, read 1,069,788 times
Quote:

I think you did some typos...you meant to type Russia and RT...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies