Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-25-2022, 12:44 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,773,354 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
Many principals, teachers and coaches have been arming themselves in TX now for several years.

This is not new.
For all anyone knows, there were armed people inside this school during the most recent shooting.

Most principals, teachers and coaches, like the general public, have never encountered an active shooter, especially a shooter using more powerful weapons.

There were 3000 + shoppers at the ElPaso Walmart, when the shooting began. At the time, Walmart permitted open carry in stores, where state permitted open carry. Texas is a permitless carry state, no? It’s likely hundreds of employees and shoppers concealed carried in Walmart at the time of the mass shooting, when 48 were shot and 22 died.

I am unaware of instances where a random civilian with a gun stopped a shooter while shooter was engaging in a mass shooting of random people. In real life, armed people are as likely to flee as the unarmed when confronted by a mass shooter randomly shooting as many human targets, as possible. ( I am sure there are probably some instances and posters will share).

In the chaos of some mass shootings, there is no reasonable way to distinguish a good vs bad guy with a gun. There is also no certainty, there is only one shooter.

Seems to me so many of these mass school shooters are teens- young adults who legally acquired the guns used in the mass shooting. Maybe raising the age might reduce these shootings.

Only thing certain right now is that this shooting has inspired others.

Old 05-25-2022, 12:44 PM

29,544 posts, read 19,640,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
It would have been a society so knee-deep in firearms that even the nuttiest of nutcases would have a very easy time getting one. And a firearms culture (using that word in the broadest possible sense) that links sporting a firearm to control, masculinity, power, agency - all of them traits that certain nutcases know they lack in their life.

The profusion of firearms in the US has of course also lead to a police force that kills its own citizens at a rate that's somewhere between 10 and 50 times higher than other Western nations. Which is kinda weird for something that's supposed to protect against government overreach.

But there's no reason to get worked up, you've won. The power symbols stay for those who like such, and the rest of us just have to suffer the occasional horrifying massacre.
You mean that you would be winning if we repealed the 2A? No street violence or school massacres would happen? 500 million guns in circulation would magically just vanish?

Old 05-25-2022, 12:46 PM

15,713 posts, read 9,533,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray Mack View Post
Independent
5/24/22

Texas attorney general calls for teachers to be armed after massacre in Uvalde

"Texas Attorney General Ken Paxton repeated his call to arm teachers after a shooter killed more than a dozen children and one teacher at an elementary school in Uvalde, Texas. ...

"First reponders typically can’t get there in time to prevent a shooting,” he said. “It’s just not possible unless you have a police on every campus, which for a lot of these schools is almost impossible.” ...

"The reality is we don’t have the resources to have law enforcement at every school,” he said. “It takes time for law enforcement, no matter how prepared, no matter how good they are to get there. So having the right training for some of these people at the school is the best hope.”

... More at:

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/w...-b2086641.html

My two cents: As well, $40 billion to help protect Ukraine, so $40 billion can be allocated to also harden schools and protect students in them for a very long time; cops can't travel at the speed of light to schools when responding to threats.
The police were already engaged with this guy yesterday AND there was a school resource officer on scene who tried to stop the shooter. Trained professionals could not stop him, but teachers who can't even get pencils for their classes are expected to stop school shooters? SMH

Old 05-25-2022, 12:48 PM

28,681 posts, read 18,811,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
Right.

A teacher teaches. A teacher is trained to impart knowledge and to notice differences in the way each student learns. That teacher tries to tailor their approach to each individual kid as well as they can. That teacher also is responsible for maintaining classroom discipline--which is increasingly impossible these days.

So the teacher's mind is already filled with all of this responsibility and stress (yes, maintaining discipline in a class of 25+ loud and spoiled kids is stressful and the teacher is the object of verbal abuse) and you would trust that same teacher to carry a GUN? It's two opposite jobs.

Sometimes as a teacher I felt like a police-woman or a prison guard as it was so stressful trying to control today's kids but if you knew me you wouldn't give me a gun too. That's the craziest idea ever.
It's not that teachers can't be trusted, it's that they already have too many things on their plates.

I had weapons training in the military, and I'm currently licensed to carry.

If my charge were to defend 30+ children from an intruder armed with multiple guns, possibly a rifle, I would want weekly range training (easily burning $50 a week in ammunition, at current ammo prices). And I'd want tactical live-ammunition training at least annually.

Anything less is self-delusion.

And, yes, a lot of police officers and armed security are self-deluded. That's why you see them empty their guns in confrontations and hit the suspects with maybe 1 in 10 rounds expended. The other rounds went on to hit things unintended, which are likely to be children in a school setting.

Old 05-25-2022, 12:54 PM

28,681 posts, read 18,811,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
For all anyone knows, there were armed people inside this school during the most recent shooting.

Most principals, teachers and coaches, like the general public, have never encountered an active shooter, especially a shooter using more powerful weapons.

There were 3000 + shoppers at the ElPaso Walmart, when the shooting began. At the time, Walmart permitted open carry in stores, where state permitted open carry. Texas is a permitless carry state, no? It’s likely hundreds of employees and shoppers concealed carried in Walmart at the time of the mass shooting, when 48 were shot and 22 died.
Texas has only this year gone "Constitutional carry." At the time, a carry permit was required. It may come as a surprise to many, but only 2% of Texans ever had carry permits, and surveys revealed that only half of them regularly carried weapons. Also, Walmart did not allow employees to carry weapons.

So there wouldn't have been more than five or six armed people in that Walmart at the time.

Moreover, despite the NRA's "good guy with a gun" sentiment, most people who carry are doing so to protect themselves and their loved ones while retreating from danger...with no intention of being heroes unless the situation wildly presented itself as such.

And there is nothing morally wrong with that.

Old 05-25-2022, 12:58 PM

29,544 posts, read 19,640,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post

I am unaware of instances where a random civilian with a gun stopped a shooter while shooter was engaging in a mass shooting of random people. In real life, armed people are as likely to flee as the unarmed when confronted by a mass shooter randomly shooting as many human targets, as possible. ( I am sure there are probably some instances and posters will share).

In the chaos of some mass shootings, there is no reasonable way to distinguish a good vs bad guy with a gun. There is also no certainty, there is only one shooter.

Seems to me so many of these mass school shooters are teens- young adults who legally acquired the guns used in the mass shooting. Maybe raising the age might reduce these shootings.

Only thing certain right now is that this shooting has inspired others.
It happens but most of the time people armed or not want to get out of a hostile situation.

https://www.waff.com/2021/10/19/byst...mall-shooting/

https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/o...-in-its-tracks

The difference between some random CCL holder who happens to be in a grocery store or outside of a school where a mass shooting is in progress and has no authority or responsibility to engage with an armed suspect is that we would be training a school official/teacher (and identified with local law enforcement) in a manner that they respond as a police officer or security guard would respond.

Up until two years ago our official response in my school for an active shooter incident was to lockdown in the classroom and keep quiet. I told my principal that in the event that there really was an active shooter here I'm breaking windows and jumping out with my students. I'm not going to be a sitting duck for someone's target practice. Now we have implemented something called ALICE training where we have options on what needs to happen to keep our students and ourselves safe.

Old 05-25-2022, 01:01 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,773,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by foodyum View Post

It should be noted that the police were on site when the gunman entered the school. They had been chasing him in his car.
I have not come across ^ information. Did I miss something?

He shot his grandmother ( confirmed).

He crashed the car he was driving and abandoned it.

He then approached the school on foot.

No Police chase.

According to some media, his grandfather allegedly claimed his grandson did not have a license and did not know how to drive. ( Thus the crash?) He was a senior but was not going to graduate given he rarely attended school and worked the day shift at a Wendy’s.

Old 05-25-2022, 01:04 PM

815 posts, read 737,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisC View Post
Don't know about teachers, but there is no excuse to NOT have armed guards in schools. I graduated in 1980 in a small town (at the time) high school. We had an armed policeman in the school at that time during school hours. And that was over forty years ago.
Worked great in Parkland. There is not a plethora of trained people, capable of handling an active shooter situation. Must less when the active shooter is possibly a child aged 14 or younger. And even if such people were plentiful, they aren't psychics. They don't know when and where a shooter will start their rampage. How many kids will die in the time it takes them to respond? Some school buildings are quite large.

Old 05-25-2022, 01:13 PM

15,713 posts, read 9,533,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagogeorge View Post
Like it or not schools need armed security either in the form of cops, private security guards or have a couple train teachers armed. I am a teacher and have a conceal carry but I'm not allowed to legally bring my gun into school. It stays in my car in the parking lot. Doesn't do me or anyone else a whole lot of good.
Too bad the school resource officer at Robb Elementary could not stop the gunman.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohioaninsc View Post
There was a police officer at Marjorie Stoneman Douglas HS...but he didn't do anything to stop the nutjob there that killed 17
There was also an SRO assigned to Columbine High in 1999. The shooters there did not seem to take him into account while planning the assault. And, of course, he was actually off site when the shooting started getting lunch (at a Wendy's, if my memory is correct)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leona Valley View Post
Which gun laws do bad guys adhere to? Which civilized world and gun laws you referring to?
Many mass shooters actually buy their guns legally. Seems logical to make it harder for mass shooters to get guns, no?

Old 05-25-2022, 01:16 PM

16,216 posts, read 11,345,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
It is completely irrelevant what category of gun that AR 15 officially is. It’s clearly the gun of choice for mass murderers and this thug had no business whatsoever buying two of them in quick procession and blowing those innocent little kids to oblivion. Call that thing a Mack truck if you want, we all know what it is and it has no place being for sale to the public. .
There is no Absolute Security available on this side of the cemetery, but the delusion seems to fit in well with the false hopes and dreams of those who either promise, or expect it.

As with censorship, Prohibition, and the marijuana and underage-drinking laws, the only group who stand to benefit from further expansion of Big Brother/Sister and the Nanny-State would be the expanded army of administrators and bureaucrats at the levers of power, which I doubt would address the underlying problems.

While admittedly once a great success, "public education" is struggling under the burden of its own chains. Best to let it collapse and re-design a new system, affordable to all through a voucher system, but free of the Politically Correct and "woke" nonsense.

Last edited by 2nd trick op; 05-25-2022 at 01:37 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies