Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-25-2022, 11:08 AM

13,472 posts, read 4,304,071 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by foodyum View Post
Well I do. Not the same skill set.
I wouldn't trust a policeman educating my children.
Teachers have been trained - have a required masters - in education. Spent at least 6 years full time learning how to teach.
Not so much with firing a gun.

Disagree. If the government is forcing you to send your kids to be at school from A to B (time) 5 days a week and the kids can't leave the building without the permission of the school then they have to provide security for them.

We offer security to the worst criminals in prison. Nobody can walk in a prison, pass security and shoot at the guards or prisoners. You could try but you are not going to make pass the main entrance.

The job of a policeman is not to educate but protect. The job of a school is to educate and protect while everybody is in the building.

Old 05-25-2022, 11:11 AM

9,434 posts, read 4,259,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SanJuanStar View Post
Disagree. If the government is forcing you to send your kids to be at school from A to B (time) 5 days a week and the kids can't leave the building without the permission of the school then they have to provide security for them.

We offer security to the worst criminals in prison. Nobody can walk in a prison, pass security and shoot at the guards or prisoners. You could try but you are not going to make pass the main entrance.

The job of a policeman is not to educate but protect. The job of a school is to educate and protect while everybody is in the building.
The job of a teacher is not to protect with a gun IMO.

Install security, install cameras, have metal detectors. All good. All done in my state in just about every school. Even in the poorest of the poor neighborhoods. They actually have the best security.
Why isn't this done in every state?

Old 05-25-2022, 11:11 AM

28,681 posts, read 18,811,357 times
Originally Posted by Kaphawoman View Post
Do teachers WANT to be armed? The overwhelming majority of them don't, so this solution is dead in the water from the start.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagogeorge View Post
I'm a teacher of 22 years and have a conceal carry license. I would gladly take up the call to be armed in school if allowed. I have taken enough classes but would be willing to do more training if asked. By Illinois law I can't bring my firearm into the school so I keep it in my vehicle. Doesn't do me or anyone else inside the school any good if an armed intruder were to enter. Luckily we have an armed police officer in the building otherwise we be sitting ducks just like those kids and teachers in that Texas school.
Your post is irrelevant to what Kaphawoman said.

Old 05-25-2022, 11:12 AM

29,546 posts, read 19,640,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
Originally Posted by Kaphawoman View Post
Do teachers WANT to be armed? The overwhelming majority of them don't, so this solution is dead in the water from the start.

Your post is irrelevant to what Kaphawoman said.
Why wouldn't it be relevant? I am a teacher and I know at least a couple more in my school who would want to be armed. The overwhelming majority don't need to be armed. Just one or two adult staff members who are willing to be trained and armed in case of an emergency. If no adult wants that responsibility in a school then hire armed security or a bring a resource officer into school if the community has enough police.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex New Yorker View Post
Then if someone breaks into your vehicle and steals your gun they'll be screaming bloody murder over that? You're kind of in a no win situation, I feel for you. That really sucks.

GUN FREE ZONES DO NOT WORK PERIOD!!!! You really have to wonder who comes up with these asinine gun laws and how anyone could support them? People who lawfully carry firearms are not the problem. All these laws accomplish is to criminalize a basic right to a viable means of self defense.
I agree. Gun free zones only makes you a sitting duck for those who don't give two ****s about laws and want to cause mayhem and death. At least give me a fighting chance to defend myself and my students (I've been teaching social studies for 22 years).

Old 05-25-2022, 11:13 AM

28,681 posts, read 18,811,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
Would not the former and current students be aware of the escape hatch?

Columbine was a two shooter event. What’s to prevent one party from covering the rear escape door?

What we don’t know is how this shooter entered the school? He seemed to have planned the timing.
A firmly locked door would have prevented his access, no?
Tactical options. That's why I always note the locations of rear exits whenever I'm in a public building. And restaurants always have an exit through the kitchen.

Right now, classrooms are "fish in a barrel" designs.

Old 05-25-2022, 11:16 AM

4,396 posts, read 1,704,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post
What about those places that cannot afford a few police officers?
Giving me a gun isn't the answer. If you are calling for armed people in schools, then do it right, or don't do it at all.

Old 05-25-2022, 11:16 AM

13,472 posts, read 4,304,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by foodyum View Post
Just don't believe 99% of all gun owners are law abiding.
How did you come up with that number?
Think of all the small business owners who own guns to protect their business who cheat on taxes or hire illegal workers or pay less than legal wages or misrepresent their products. That class of gun owners alone are doing lots of things that are not exactly law abiding.
It's call stats. 81.4 million Americans own guns. 99.9% of them aren't killing people in mass murder. Unless that teacher turns part of that 0.1%, NO law is going to prevent that. I will take 99.9% of law abiding citizens over the 0.1%

What's does taxes or wages has to do with legal guns owners not killing people in mass murders????/ 99.9% of them are not criminals. You really lost it.

I guess if I don't report 100% of my income that could make me a mass murder. If I hire illegals to do my lawn I could kill people in masses. Crack is whack.

Old 05-25-2022, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
Overworked? They have plenty of free time on their hands to groom students, to bring transvestites in for "story hours" and to help them alter their genders and hid it from their parents. Perhaps if they taught, rather than groomed...

Old 05-25-2022, 11:20 AM

9,434 posts, read 4,259,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SanJuanStar View Post
It's call stats. 81.4 million Americans own guns. 99.9% of them aren't killing people in mass murder. Unless that teacher turns part of that 0.1%, NO law is going to prevent that. I will take 99.9% of law abiding citizens over the 0.1%

What's does taxes or wages has to do with legal guns owners not killing people in mass murders????/ 99.9% of them are not criminals. You really lost it.

I guess if I don't report 100% of my income that could make me a mass murder. If I hire illegals to do my lawn I could kill people in masses. Crack is whack.
There is a big gap between being a mass murder and being law abiding.
Your stat was for law abiding gun owners.
If you do not report 100% of your income you are not law abiding. That may be just fine with you but it is actually illegal.
And honestly, I don't know what you would do, how do I know you are trustworthy with a gun. A lot that is posted here by supposed gun owners is pretty violent and crazy stuff.

Old 05-25-2022, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex New Yorker View Post
Great response!!!
That actually WAS a great response! I liked the original post, but the response was just as good.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies