Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-25-2022, 11:21 AM

13,474 posts, read 4,304,071 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by foodyum View Post
The job of a teacher is not to protect with a gun IMO.

Install security, install cameras, have metal detectors. All good. All done in my state in just about every school. Even in the poorest of the poor neighborhoods. They actually have the best security.
Why isn't this done in every state?

They can use their hands if they want to. If the school wants to have a security crew with guns that's fine too but if the school wants to be gun free and let the criminals know, then good luck and hope 911 comes quick.

Old 05-25-2022, 11:26 AM

13,474 posts, read 4,304,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by foodyum View Post
There is a big gap between being a mass murder and being law abiding.
Your stat was for law abiding gun owners.
If you do not report 100% of your income you are not law abiding. That may be just fine with you but it is actually illegal.
and how do you know they are breaking I.R.S. law in a crime? Not reporting your 100% income to the I.R.S is not a crime depending of amount and the I.R.S has the burden of proof.

You can't prove a negative.

If a legal gun owner hasn't committed a crime or charge with one, then what are you talking about? I know you have issues with gun owners but you argument is silly.

Old 05-25-2022, 11:35 AM

37,981 posts, read 22,172,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagogeorge View Post
I'm a teacher of 22 years and have a conceal carry license. I would gladly take up the call to be armed in school if allowed. I have taken enough classes but would be willing to do more training if asked. By Illinois law I can't bring my firearm into the school so I keep it in my vehicle. Doesn't do me or anyone else inside the school any good if an armed intruder were to enter. Luckily we have an armed police officer in the building otherwise we be sitting ducks just like those kids and teachers in that Texas school.
Which brings up a good point, are there actually school shooting that were prevented, because school policies banned teachers from conceal carrying? When was the last school shooting that was committed by a teacher or a school administration employee who brought a gun to school???

Old 05-25-2022, 11:46 AM

9,434 posts, read 4,259,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wapasha View Post
Which brings up a good point, are there actually school shooting that were prevented, because school policies banned teachers from conceal carrying? When was the last school shooting that was committed by a teacher or a school administration employee who brought a gun to school???
https://www.kxxv.com/hometown/texas/...texas-cops-say

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news...es-gun-n856481

https://www.latimes.com/nation/la-na...8-story.html\\

Old 05-25-2022, 11:49 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,773,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Troyfan View Post
Stupid idea, a cheap magician's trick. Anything to avoid banning assault weapons. "Whatever the solution is, and we really know what the solution is but we can't admit it, it's not banning assault weapons."

They tried that in FL and the school cop hid outside while the shooting was happening. It's "Paul Blart, Mall Cop".

There aren't enough capable people around. The ones that are are in the Green Berets or Navy Seals. No school is going to be able to hire people like this, let alone tens of thousands of schools. And the people who are like that wouldn't be interested in the first place.

You're going to get 40 year old men with paunches, with families, with car loans. They're not going to put themselves anywhere near where an assault weapon might point at them.
There are 130,000 k-12 schools in the US. Some of these schools have as many as 8000 students. Large schools would need a small army of armed people to cover all the basis.

Old 05-25-2022, 11:51 AM

46,970 posts, read 26,018,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimRom View Post
If you don't trust them to carry a firearm, you shouldn't be trusting them with your children.
What a dumb thing to type. Different skillsets, different aptitudes. Come on...

Old 05-25-2022, 11:53 AM

37,981 posts, read 22,172,656 times
None of those resulted in any teacher intentionally trying to cause injuries. One of those incidents was an accident that took place during a "firearms safety course."

We are not seeing mass shootings in schools, because the school allowed teachers to legally carry a concealed weapon.

Old 05-25-2022, 11:54 AM

46,970 posts, read 26,018,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
There are 130,000 k-12 schools in the US. Some of these schools have as many as 8000 students. Large schools would need a small army of armed people to cover all the basis.
Fences, armed guards, metal detectors, strict controls on who enters and who leaves. Good thing all those guns keeps the US from looking like a police state, right?

Old 05-25-2022, 11:54 AM

29,546 posts, read 19,640,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
What a dumb thing to type. Different skillsets, different aptitudes. Come on...
Yes because teachers can't be properly trained to use a firearm. LOL Somehow I was though. Just can't bring it into the school. You know "gun free zone" where everyone is supposed to be safe from guns.

Old 05-25-2022, 11:58 AM

23,177 posts, read 12,234,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post
It prevents you from shooting up the school, does it not?

No, because if they wanted to shoot people in the school they would bring the gun into the school regardless of what they were allowed to do. Shooters are not concerned with laws.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies