Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-25-2022, 10:03 AM

13,966 posts, read 5,634,219 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagogeorge View Post
No.

https://smallwarsjournal.com/jrnl/ar...he-ar-15-rifle

It's not even an automatic rifle. The AR15 is a single trigger pull semi auto rifle no different than my 30x06 expect that my 30x06 can take down a target from a much farther distance.
That, and your 30.06 is allowed for hunting game larger than 50-75 pounds because the rules for humane hunting require that the weapon be capable of reliable one shot kills. AR-15s are varmint caliber platforms.

The media-political complex has done a heck of a job in the last 30 years of making AR-15s sound like man portable death star laser light saber weapons of doom. Varmint guns that are easy, cheap and reliable...nothing more.

Old 05-25-2022, 10:17 AM

631 posts, read 289,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagogeorge View Post
I'm a teacher of 22 years and have a conceal carry license. I would gladly take up the call to be armed in school if allowed. I have taken enough classes but would be willing to do more training if asked. By Illinois law I can't bring my firearm into the school so I keep it in my vehicle. Doesn't do me or anyone else inside the school any good if an armed intruder were to enter. Luckily we have an armed police officer in the building otherwise we be sitting ducks just like those kids and teachers in that Texas school.
You are definitely not your average teacher. Most teachers that I've known -- mine and now my daughter's -- have never held a gun in their hand in their entire lives.

I agree with the poster who pointed out that many teachers, perhaps the majority, are not keen on becoming expert gun handlers. I can think of a few who I wouldn't want to handle a gun (ineptitude, lack of skill, poor eyesight, poor coordination, indecisiveness, easily scared, etc). This proposition esentially calls for teachers to be trained as paramilitary personnel.

Old 05-25-2022, 10:35 AM

7,511 posts, read 4,359,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
Many principals, teachers and coaches have been arming themselves in TX now for several years.

This is not new.

Old 05-25-2022, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimRom View Post
You think a rule that guns have to be left in vehicles stops someone from shooting up a school?
Probably has the same mentality that believes gun free zones will stop these monsters? You can't reason with such ignorance.

Old 05-25-2022, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimRom View Post
As long as their target is the little twerp who started throwing rocks at other people, I'm down with this.
Great response!!!

Old 05-25-2022, 10:42 AM

11,142 posts, read 10,718,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timaea View Post
You are definitely not your average teacher. Most teachers that I've known -- mine and now my daughter's -- have never held a gun in their hand in their entire lives.

I agree with the poster who pointed out that many teachers, perhaps the majority, are not keen on becoming expert gun handlers. I can think of a few who I wouldn't want to handle a gun (ineptitude, lack of skill, poor eyesight, poor coordination, indecisiveness, easily scared, etc). This proposition esentially calls for teachers to be trained as paramilitary personnel.
Just about every teacher I know, of which there are quite a few since I have family that works in education, already has a CWP and carries on a regular basis - though not at work since there is a stupid law which prohibits them from doing so.

Old 05-25-2022, 10:44 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,773,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
Paxton is an idiot.

I'm licensed to carry a gun, I train regularly, and I live in Texas. Paxton may live in Texas, but I don't think he has a clue about how to protect a bunch of children in a classroom with a pistol against a more heavily armed invader whose intent is to kill anyone in range.

The first thing I'd do is equip classrooms with armored hallway doors and rear escape doors...whether or not the teachers were armed. If I were an armed teacher, I'd certainly rather guard the kids' escape through the back door than try to shoot it out in a closed room full of kids.
Would not the former and current students be aware of the escape hatch?

Columbine was a two shooter event. What’s to prevent one party from covering the rear escape door?

What we don’t know is how this shooter entered the school? He seemed to have planned the timing.
A firmly locked door would have prevented his access, no?

Old 05-25-2022, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaphawoman View Post
Do teachers WANT to be armed? The overwhelming majority of them don't, so this solution is dead in the water from the start.
What's wrong with letting the teacher's who wish to be armed decide for themselves? Or do you speak for every last one of them?

Old 05-25-2022, 10:49 AM

9,434 posts, read 4,259,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex New Yorker View Post
What's wrong with letting the teacher's who wish to be armed decide for themselves? Or do you speak for every last one of them?
Deciding for themselves? No thank you.
I trust most teachers, but not on this.

Old 05-25-2022, 10:52 AM

11,142 posts, read 10,718,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by foodyum View Post
Deciding for themselves? No thank you.
I trust most teachers, but not on this.
If you don't trust them to carry a firearm, you shouldn't be trusting them with your children.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies