Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-25-2022, 08:54 AM

1,203 posts, read 619,316 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinytrump View Post
They have short fuses, and I love my military, but they have hurt kids trying to be the cop in the building. My son’s middle school in Dade county looked like a prison. No windows unless way up by the ceiling, all hallways that led to a few double doorways. Most gunmen seem to enter right through the front doors. I maybe I am wrong. But overseas schools are behind a walls and an iron gates to enter. Maybe we do need to spend money on entry ways. They fence the WH.
My high school was designed to be windowless and be one of the first fully air conditioned schools. Windows were added in latter additions. They thought windows were a distraction. The original building was built in the early 1960s

Old 05-25-2022, 08:54 AM

16,216 posts, read 11,345,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 212david51 View Post
Point defense is not going to work. Harden the school with security doors and bullet proof glass and guards inside. Cameras all over the place. Nice and safe. So the shooter hits the buses out in the parking lot. Put a guard in the lot and cover the parking lot as well as the school. So the shooter hits the bus at the first stop light down the road. What you need is a moving defense. Security in the school, parking lot, on the buses and driving around the school. Do not let a shooter think any point is safe or weak. And when something happens, swarm it. Second point, we have gone way over board on the "rights of the individual." Over and over we see this happen and it turns out the person was nuts. The school, police, FBI, doctors, enough people knew it and had evidence of it that they could have done something ahead of time. We need to identify these people ahead of time and either make sure they do not get a gun or better yet, lock them up and see that they get the help they need.
Thank you! --- for demonstrating and articulating the point that the current obsession with security, conformity and Absolute Political Correctness among the public-education elite will eventually backfire, occasionally with tragic consequences. You have 1dentifed the problem -- but not the correct remedy. Columbine, Sandy Hook, and Marjory Douglas -- all wealthy districts -- were all the product of overbuilt educational bureaucracies gone unbalanced and unresponsive due to the NEA'a obsession with authority and power.

The proper remedy is to let all of the public-educational system meet a quick death -- then to rebuild a voucher-backed, but 100%-privatized system. If public-financed backup is absolutely necessary, it should be limited to districts with a population of no more than 25,000 -- even in densely-urbanized areas; That would bring a quick end to empire-building, and the current, occasionally-tragic circus which passes for "education" in contemporary, media-fixated America.

Last edited by 2nd trick op; 05-25-2022 at 09:55 AM..

Old 05-25-2022, 08:55 AM

28,681 posts, read 18,811,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post
??? Really I thought it was 'automatic rifle'.

Because AR 15 is not a brand name right?
In 1956, ArmaLite designed a lightweight selective fire rifle for military use and designated it the ArmaLite model 15, or AR-15.

Old 05-25-2022, 09:00 AM

11,142 posts, read 10,718,210 times
Quote:

Considering that AR-15s are not automatic, why would they be called "automatic rifle"?

Old 05-25-2022, 09:39 AM

6,232 posts, read 3,613,104 times
Do teachers WANT to be armed? The overwhelming majority of them don't, so this solution is dead in the water from the start.

Old 05-25-2022, 09:43 AM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 11 days ago)

35,637 posts, read 17,994,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaphawoman View Post
Do teachers WANT to be armed? The overwhelming majority of them don't, so this solution is dead in the water from the start.
And with a matching AR 15 no less? I’d guess not.

Old 05-25-2022, 09:51 AM

13,966 posts, read 5,634,219 times
Quote:

You are totally excused for thinking that, because the media has spent 30 years misusing "AR" to replace "Armalite" with "assault" or "automatic" in your head.

The original semiautomatic sporting rifle chambered in .223/5.56 NATO and patterned in look/feel after the M-16 military platform was built by Armalite. So it became the de facto way of saying "semiautomatic sporting rifle chambered in .223/5.56 NATO", sort of like how all copiers became "Xerox machines" and all tissues are referred to as "Kleenex."

An "assault rifle" is a specific word for a carbine (short barrel) rifle that has selective fire, generally a choice between semiautomatic and fully automatic fire. Adolf Hitler actually coined the term because it sounded tougher than "submachinegun pistol."

Why the AR-15 styled platform is popular is because low recoil, easy to use, not very expensive, cheaper and more widely available ammunition and inside of 100 yards, anyone with decent motor function can be pretty accurate. That's why they are so vastly popular with the ladies, older people and range plinkers who don't like expensive range days or sore shoulders.

It's not because they are extra lethal, super deadly, scary, etc. It's because they are easy, cheap and reliable. Probably the best "inside 100 yards" solution for any number of tactical scenarios. I personally don't own one, because I like the big brother version of my semiauto 308. But I do have a bolt action 22 for marksmanship training because easy, cheap and reliable.

Old 05-25-2022, 09:57 AM

29,544 posts, read 19,640,423 times
Quote:

No.

https://smallwarsjournal.com/jrnl/ar...he-ar-15-rifle

It's not even an automatic rifle. The AR15 is a single trigger pull semi auto rifle no different than my 30x06 expect that my 30x06 can take down a target from a much farther distance.

Old 05-25-2022, 10:00 AM

37,981 posts, read 22,172,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natsku View Post
Radical idea I know, but how about better gun laws like the civilised world?
Which gun law would have prevented just about any of the school shootings?

Which gun laws would prevent shootings in Chicago, for example?

Old 05-25-2022, 10:01 AM

29,544 posts, read 19,640,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaphawoman View Post
I'm a teacher of 22 years and have a conceal carry license. I would gladly take up the call to be armed in school if allowed. I have taken enough classes but would be willing to do more training if asked. By Illinois law I can't bring my firearm into the school so I keep it in my vehicle. Doesn't do me or anyone else inside the school any good if an armed intruder were to enter. Luckily we have an armed police officer in the building otherwise we be sitting ducks just like those kids and teachers in that Texas school.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies