Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-24-2022, 11:25 PM

11,023 posts, read 5,989,338 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ipaper View Post
Maybe people in small rural areas are more complacent, I don't know. That goes to show you that nowhere is immune to these shootings. I feel so bad for these kids, who were just being kids, and won't be returning home today.
Yup.

I remember taking my kids to primary school, dropping them off, then picking them up in the afternoons. Sometimes a school bus would arrive at the same time with an armed serviceman on board to protect the kids from terrorist attacks. This event just reminded me of that. But the school itself was safe.

But in the end, my son died. I know what it's like to lose one's kid. He was an adult by then but the point is I know what it's like. All those kids, lost. Their parents and relatives and friends, the community ....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2022, 11:28 PM

9,434 posts, read 4,255,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kell490 View Post
Why do schools have to become armed fortresses? Is this the future of our country?
I agree.
But I do think a camera, and a locked door is probably a necessity. Visitors need to be buzzed in. Doors should be reinforced.

Old 05-24-2022, 11:40 PM

15,421 posts, read 9,083,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
That kid would never have made it into the school I am referencing, I assure you. Pay for it? We, the taxpayers will. We have no choice. Schools need to be safe. If they need to look like an armed concentration camp, in your mind, then that is fine with me. Kids will learn in a safe environment, no matter how high the damn walls are.
You might pay for it, but most people will not. In many places people vote down every single school bond, no matter what it's for. They are sure not going to approve the type of money you are talking about.

Old 05-24-2022, 11:47 PM

37,618 posts, read 46,006,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by foodyum View Post
In this case, the police were at the school At the same time as the shooter. No way could a security person on site have been there sooner or be more experienced than the police. It would not have made one bit of difference.
Still didn't matter.

"On Tuesday morning, authorities say, Ramos shot his grandmother, then crashed his car near Robb Elementary School in Uvalde. Police pursued him as he ran into the school with a handgun and possibly a rifle, Texas officials said.

“As soon as he made entry into the school he started shooting children, teachers, whoever was in his way, he was shooting everybody,†Texas Department of Public Safety spokesperson Lt. Chris Olivarez said."

The whole security guards with guns on site argument just doesn't hold water, like in Sandy Hook or this texas school shooting.
Didn't matter in Buffalo either.
Armed guards in every school does not seem to do anything from past scenarios. Good chance things could go south with more guns around the school yard.
I'm thinking it is more a promotion for the gun lobby to sell and train.
He NEVER WOULD HAVE MADE IT INTO THE SCHOOL if the changes were made as has been already identified here. It's a silly premise and a poor excuse to keep saying "things will go wrong in the schoolyard". The changes DO hold water. They just don't with you. Again, we MUST start changing what we do. Crazy people are not going away.

Old 05-24-2022, 11:48 PM

37,618 posts, read 46,006,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudy Dayz View Post
You might pay for it, but most people will not. In many places people vote down every single school bond, no matter what it's for. They are sure not going to approve the type of money you are talking about.
I am fairly certain there are 19 sets of parents in Texas that would gladly approve it. And many many more. It's got to happen.

Old 05-24-2022, 11:50 PM

3,606 posts, read 1,659,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 303Guy View Post
Which beggars the question. What were the social media censors doing? They have no problem censoring posts that don't align with their leftist narrative but they can't pick up a potential mas murderer case? I know of another such instance in which the killer was talking about his stuff on facebook. He killed 51 people! That SOB even videoed himself killing his victims and posted that video on social media!
Social media should require ID'S so posters are NOT ANONYMOUS anymore...would greatly reduce hate crimes and lone wolf mass killings which rarely happen in other countries

Old 05-24-2022, 11:50 PM

9,434 posts, read 4,255,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
He NEVER WOULD HAVE MADE IT INTO THE SCHOOL if the changes were made as has been already identified here. It's a silly premise and a poor excuse to keep saying "things will go wrong in the schoolyard". The changes DO hold water. They just don't with you. Again, we MUST start changing what we do. Crazy people are not going away.
What exactly would an armed guard do in this instance that the police could not do.
Lets assume any armed guard walks around the campus, as all armed guards do and you can not guarantee that they would be at the front door as the gunman runs in.

Old 05-24-2022, 11:54 PM

24,636 posts, read 9,464,279 times
There are 393 million weapons in America. There is no policy that could get rid of all those guns. There is no policy to prevent 18 year olds with clean backgrounds to legally purchasing a gun, which both the Buffalo and Texas shooter did.

The only solution is to fix mental health. All mass shooters are the same, they lack empathy. They're sociopaths.

In order to shoot people, you must lack empathy.

Old 05-25-2022, 12:02 AM

15,421 posts, read 9,083,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
All schools in S Cal have high fences, one way in and out with someone with a GUN at the door. Sad times but reality now. You can't disarm these freaks easily.
Crazy false sense of security.

1. Crash a car through the fence.
2. Cut a hole through the fence.
3. Climb over the fence.
4. Put an AR15 inside a duffel bag and throw it over the fence the night before. Then walk through school security the next morning and retrive the bag.
5. Conceal an AR15 under a trench coat. Pull it out and shoot the armed guard at the gate dead. Then walk in and kill everyone in the school.
6. Shoot into the school grounds from outside the fence.

Those are just the possibilities I can think of. It's unbelievable that anybody thinks fences or metal detectors are going to stop school shootings.

Old 05-25-2022, 12:06 AM

3,606 posts, read 1,659,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocko20 View Post
There are 393 million weapons in America. There is no policy that could get rid of all those guns. There is no policy to prevent 18 year olds with clean backgrounds to legally purchasing a gun, which both the Buffalo and Texas shooter did.

The only solution is to fix mental health. All mass shooters are the same, they lack empathy. They're sociopaths.

In order to shoot people, you must lack empathy.
More gun control/background checks, better mental health care (Australia, England, etc blow USA away in both above), and requiring ID'S for social media where it is NO LONGER ANONYMOUS will help fix things. And yes, many mass shooters are NOT MENTALLY ILL with any professional diagnosis, but have violence, anger, hate somewhere in their background that should be tracked , reported...and treated.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sour...nxa7qG4zMNnlV4
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies