Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-07-2022, 05:14 PM

23,652 posts, read 13,998,393 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
A calling card?
Maybe though it just may be that smuggling a rifle in before the incident is easy, no one is looking......smuggling out after the incident is not so easy.

It's like, supposedly, the advice given in the game "Su-25: Soviet Attack Fighter". The mission calls for bombing say a camp or armor group. You may be tempted to come in fast but on the first pass, don't. They aren't expecting you, come in slow, be more accurate dropping the bombs. On the follow on passes, then you pick up the speed.

Ouch!......consider all aspects, all times of one's strike. Admittedly, I do that but that is what I do, create scenarios for LE.....sometimes it sucks being devious.
Quote:
The thing about mass shootings is that it’s so impersonal. It’s really all about the shooter.

Off the top: Wonder if this guy and those who came before him, have or ever had a dog, maybe a rescue, who eventually came to love them, unconditionally. Or would someone like this be more inclined to break the dog’s neck? I don’t know.
In reverse order, yes, that bothers me. The thing with pets is that one at least needs lots of patience and then, they need a world without distractions, such as video games and the Net. As they say, to the dog, you are their entire world........Jenny Jinya drawings are painful reminders of this.

Patience and understanding. To me, there is the philosophy of "There is no such thing as a bad kitten. There is no such thing as a good kitten. Kittens come in one variety of the animal.....................KITTEN!". That is, whatever an animal does is not good or bad but just they way they are.......and I think it takes a mature personalty to recognize that.

As to it is all about them, yes, I would agree with that (though a counter defence tactic for being the hostage is to get them to see you as a person).

Last edited by TamaraSavannah; 07-07-2022 at 05:30 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2022, 12:13 AM

11,022 posts, read 5,989,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TamaraSavannah View Post
Sort of like Ezri Dax in DS 9 "Field of Fire". From the transcript:

EZRI: I've held a rifle before.
JORAN: You mean in combat? It's not the same thing. That kind of killing's too random, too chaotic. This is more controlled. You can savour the moment. Now, tell me, what do you see?
EZRI: I'm moving through different levels of the docking ring.
JORAN: He didn't kill anyone in the docking ring. Remember, you're trying to put yourself in his mind. Move to the habitat ring.
EZRI: I'm there. In one of the corridors.
JORAN: Good. Our killer is a hunter. So start hunting.
EZRI: I see a Bajoran Deputy.
JORAN: You don't want to be in the corridors. Look in the quarters.
EZRI: No one's here.
(Next door.)
EZRI: A male Starfleet officer. An engineer, about thirty five.
JORAN: Good. We have a victim. You have him in your sights. How do you feel? Truth now.
EZRI: Powerful. In control
JORAN: That's good. That's what the killer's feeling.
EZRI: I'm not angry or excited.
JORAN: You're calm, relaxed.
EZRI: Detached.
JORAN: Now you're getting it. You do your killing from a distance. You're cold, methodical. Maybe you're a scientist or a doctor?(at The Deep Space Nine Transcripts - Field of Fire )

Now maybe that was just very well written, understanding that kind of mind, of what I was taught about serial killers where, "they have no more feeling for you than the light switch on the wall".Now, in the same semester, I was also an officer in a student group, mostly undergrads to my grad status, and I was looking across a room of young people, feeling of what was ahead in their lives and not the abuse of the minds I was studying.

So how do we modify the shooters' minds, what makes me, someone with the firepower, so much in control.

I don't know, I may just be of another era although when I was a child and all alone, I would tell myself that I had no people friends but lots of animal friends. That's my calm, my Glinda.

How do we have them feel the good of being God like.....and not being a Devil?
Ooh! You're quite intense! I had no idea.

You have elaborately expressed what I have been vaguely thinking in the back of my mind.
Quote:
On the other hand……..

It was a parade with all eyes focused on well, the parade, not scanning rooftops for potential shooters. Kid’s father used to own a deli in the area so he probably knew about fire escapes and access to rooftops.

I am not the only one who thought Ravinia, a massive, local seasonal outdoor music venue in Highland Park. Depending on the performer, there can be 500,000+ attendees, with elaborate picnic baskets, coolers, tables, chairs, linens, lighting, the kitchen sink, etc. Half the fun is strolling through the acres to observe other people’s set up.

A few challenges; no vantage point other than the stage and everyone, everything is wanded before entry, which takes forever and come 9:00PM, it’s dark other than people’s candles.

Being local, it would not surprise me if he considered the Ravinia venue and rejected it for the reasons mentioned. Unlike so many who came before, he was not suicidal and had a semblance of an exit plan.
That he left the firearm on the rooftop made it easy to pinpoint him as a local person of interest. Who knows? Maybe that was a part of the plan for infamy.
You guys both.

I stand in awe.

And I mean following your conversation.

Old 07-08-2022, 08:56 AM

13,269 posts, read 7,316,697 times
Former classmate of Robert Crimo describes suspected Highland Park gunman. She said he was dark and was obsessed with weapons, and killing.

Old 07-08-2022, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kell490 View Post
Former classmate of Robert Crimo describes suspected Highland Park gunman. She said he was dark and was obsessed with weapons, and killing.
Well, these days, obsession with weapons might mean a very light interest in a world that believes in no guns. As previously noted in some thread, for what we did, read, had handed out to us in 70s JROTC, they would probably have locked us all up if we were teens in today's world.

Long story short of it, we need more details from the news, not the non specific opinion of someone to then form an image in our mind......as if we were likely to get that, mind you.

Old 07-08-2022, 09:19 AM

13,269 posts, read 7,316,697 times
Quote:
Well, these days, obsession with weapons might mean a very light interest in a world that believes in no guns. As previously noted in some thread, for what we did, read, had handed out to us in 70s JROTC, they would probably have locked us all up if we were teens in today's world.

Long story short of it, we need more details from the news, not the non specific opinion of someone to then form an image in our mind......as if we were likely to get that, mind you.
Did you watch the video probalby not. The point is the father should have known his son was a danger.

Old 07-08-2022, 09:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kell490 View Post
Did you watch the video probalby not. The point is the father should have known his son was a danger.
You lose.

I heard the phrase, "warning signs" repeatedly and the point I got was....turning the country even more into one of informers without details of what they should be seeing.

Old 07-08-2022, 09:33 AM

50,809 posts, read 36,501,346 times
Quote:
You lose.

I heard the phrase, "warning signs" repeatedly and the point I got was....turning the country even more into one of informers without details of what they should be seeing.
The “warning signs” were 1. He threatened to commit suicide, serious enough that parents called cops and 2. He threatened to kill his entire family, resulting in parents calling cops and cops removing weapons from the home.

Old 07-08-2022, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
The “warning signs” were 1. He threatened to commit suicide, serious enough that parents called cops and 2. He threatened to kill his entire family, resulting in parents calling cops and cops removing weapons from the home.

All that in a 1 minute, 25 second news broadcast? That is what I am talking about here.

Old 07-08-2022, 09:43 AM

50,809 posts, read 36,501,346 times
Quote:
All that in a 1 minute, 25 second news broadcast? That is what I am talking about here.
I don’t know what you mean by that. I watched many hours of coverage.

Old 07-08-2022, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
I don’t know what you mean by that. I watched many hours of coverage.
kell490, post #1200 is what I was referring to.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies