Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Now that sex and gender are different, should we change their descriptive words to distinguish them?
Yes 2 6.25%
Unsure 3 9.38%
No 27 84.38%
Voters: 32. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2022, 11:53 PM

3,113 posts, read 939,894 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcopolo View Post
It doesn't sound like any of the 'no' votes have any familiarity with trans people. Maybe just live and let live?
Ah yes, live and let live. That goes both ways. Lay off indoctrinating children into “trans acceptance” and don’t expect me to use the pronouns the way you dream yourself to be in your deranged fairy world.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2022, 11:54 PM

3,113 posts, read 939,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frostnip View Post
Your children are going to Berkeley Law?
Hopefully not given the quality of the professors they’re hiring!

Old 07-14-2022, 12:03 AM

38,644 posts, read 26,398,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doc1 View Post
So much for the status associated with "higher education".

Everything's been dumbed down.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5mnQTzhVgl8

Old 07-14-2022, 07:30 AM

29,509 posts, read 14,673,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post
OMG..that was hilarious. I had no idea the Bee had a youtube channel, thanks for sharing !

Old 07-14-2022, 07:41 AM

4,395 posts, read 1,703,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FordBronco1967 View Post
https://www.foxnews.com/politics/haw...-run-classroom

From the article:

This birthing-person is teaching the next generation. Is it any wonder why the youngest generation has high rates of depression and suicide?
I saw the video, and the Dr. was correct. Hawley was just being a jerk, and she called him out for it.

Old 07-14-2022, 07:47 AM

6,038 posts, read 2,854,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stone26 View Post
I saw the video, and the Dr. was correct. Hawley was just being a jerk, and she called him out for it.
How, so?

Old 07-14-2022, 07:54 AM

1,757 posts, read 756,900 times
Default Break Down of Senator Hawley and Professor Bridges - Possible Solution

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ITYfyB6M4IM

Both sides are claiming victory in this, is not the main issue language?

If sex and gender are NOT the same thing, then is it not confusing to have the terms "woman" and "man" apply to both?

Senator Hawley is correct that the sex man cannot get pregnant, but Professor Bridges is correct that the gender man can get pregnant.

The problem is for most of human history sex and gender were synonyms, so there was no need to distinguish unique descriptive words for each, but now we have a need for that.

Would it then not make sense to say something like:

Words for Sex (Think XX, XY chromosomes) = Woman and Man. Men can't get pregnant.

Words for Gender (Think mindset) = Feminine and Masculine. Masculines can get pregnant.

Wouldn't doing something like this, solve a lot of the debates and confrontations like in the above video or a USSC member not knowing what a woman is? I think it might help politically.

Any ideas? I am trying to be helpful here to all, I don't want to offend anyone with this new idea either.

I am trying to wrap my head around both sides here so I am going to breakdown the arguments from both sides as fair as possible, and please let me know if I did a bad job breaking down your side.

Liberal point of view: Professor Bridges won the exchange.

Professor Khiara Bridges is correct, not all ciswomen can get pregnant and some men (using the term for gender) can and she then uses the term transmen and then also includes nonbinary people as well as people that can possibly get pregnant.

Hawley is opposed to trans people switching genders to play sports or use the "other" bathroom and he clearly was trying to make a political point on this topic and it was right for her to shut him down along these lines.

It can lead to suicide or attacks by people in the community against trans people if the community doesn't accept them. Hawley needs to be more accepting and not publicly pushing his political line of questioning, which emboldens others to not accept trans people.

It isn't that hard to accept someone for who they are, so it is frustrating that many conservatives get hung up on this, especially as trans people are significantly more likely to report self harm like cutting or even suicide.

Making sure we all have dignity and respect goes a long ways in society.

Liberals is this about right?

Conservative point of view: Senator Hawley won the exchange.

The professor had previously said that abortion was a women's issue, so it seems illogical to also say that men can get pregnant. (She was probably talking about the sex in the 1st case and the gender in the 2nd case, which is why the language is confusing.)

A professor should try to encourage discussion, not shut it down by accusing the senator of being afraid of trans people or promoting violence. When the senator did question this exact point she then accused him of denying that trans people exist, something he clearly didn't do.

Some leftists will say that the 2020 George Floyd protests were not violence, even though many had literal physical violence and then in their next breath will say that Republican words asking questions that made sense for 99.9% of human history are violence and that is hypocritical.

Many conservatives feel that it is absurd that they are required to "affirm" what someone else thinks of themself and then question where that line is. Do we have to confirm Rachel Dolezal as a black woman, a dangerously thin bulimic person as obese, a struggling want to be comedian as funny, etc.

The professor is also very political claiming that the fact that white women are MORE likely to be prosecuted for opioid abuse while pregnant is a sign of white privilege, but you think that she'd also make the same exact argument if it were the opposite that white women were less likely to be prosecuted in that case.

Conservatives is that about right?

Last edited by QuakerBaker; 07-14-2022 at 08:07 AM..

Old 07-14-2022, 07:59 AM

11,163 posts, read 7,971,833 times
Call me transphobic then…..

Old 07-14-2022, 08:00 AM

616 posts, read 341,910 times
“In the end the Party would announce that two and two made five, and you would have to believe it. It was inevitable that they should make that claim sooner or later: the logic of their position demanded it. Not merely the validity of experience, but the very existence of external reality, was tacitly denied by their philosophy. The heresy of heresies was common sense. And what was terrifying was not that they would kill you for thinking otherwise, but that they might be right. For, after all, how do we know that two and two make four? Or that the force of gravity works? Or that the past is unchangeable? If both the past and the external world exist only in the mind, and if the mind itself is controllable—what then?”
― George Orwell, 1984

Old 07-14-2022, 08:04 AM

6,993 posts, read 2,713,357 times
A butch woman is not a man no matter how she dresses.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies