Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Now that sex and gender are different, should we change their descriptive words to distinguish them?
Yes 2 6.25%
Unsure 3 9.38%
No 27 84.38%
Voters: 32. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2022, 12:47 PM

30,267 posts, read 23,751,941 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EscAlaMike View Post
Gender and sex are not synonyms. We English-speakers only think they are because our language is not gendered the way Latin languages and others are.

Gender refers to language. Sex refers to people. Always has.

It is improper and ridiculous to assign a "gender" to a human being. We're so puritanical that using the word "sex" makes us feel uncomfortable, so we have swapped in the word "gender".
This is nothing but BS. What they are doing is wiping away identity in any form. What happens when you wipe away an identity - they become less human to others. What happens when that person doesn't seem like a human to you. How do people treat those that they view as 'non human'.

You people need to figure out, real fast, how dumb you all are for going along with this. You're being conditioned, and in the end, you'll be tossed, too.

Stop. Falling. For this crap!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2022, 12:55 PM

13,626 posts, read 7,951,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EscAlaMike View Post
Gender and sex are not synonyms. We English-speakers only think they are because our language is not gendered the way Latin languages and others are.

Gender refers to language. Sex refers to people. Always has.

It is improper and ridiculous to assign a "gender" to a human being. We're so puritanical that using the word "sex" makes us feel uncomfortable, so we have swapped in the word "gender".
Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
This is nothing but BS. What they are doing is wiping away identity in any form. What happens when you wipe away an identity - they become less human to others. What happens when that person doesn't seem like a human to you. How do people treat those that they view as 'non human'.

You people need to figure out, real fast, how dumb you all are for going along with this. You're being conditioned, and in the end, you'll be tossed, too.

Stop. Falling. For this crap!
What exactly from my post is BS? What am I falling for?

Old 07-14-2022, 05:06 PM

30,072 posts, read 18,678,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuakerBaker View Post

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ITYfyB6M4IM

Both sides are claiming victory in this, is not the main issue language?

If sex and gender are NOT the same thing, then is it not confusing to have the terms "woman" and "man" apply to both?

Senator Hawley is correct that the sex man cannot get pregnant, but Professor Bridges is correct that the gender man can get pregnant.

The problem is for most of human history sex and gender were synonyms, so there was no need to distinguish unique descriptive words for each, but now we have a need for that.

Would it then not make sense to say something like:

Words for Sex (Think XX, XY chromosomes) = Woman and Man. Men can't get pregnant.

Words for Gender (Think mindset) = Feminine and Masculine. Masculines can get pregnant.

Wouldn't doing something like this, solve a lot of the debates and confrontations like in the above video or a USSC member not knowing what a woman is? I think it might help politically.

Any ideas? I am trying to be helpful here to all, I don't want to offend anyone with this new idea either.

I am trying to wrap my head around both sides here so I am going to breakdown the arguments from both sides as fair as possible, and please let me know if I did a bad job breaking down your side.

Liberal point of view: Professor Bridges won the exchange.

Professor Khiara Bridges is correct, not all ciswomen can get pregnant and some men (using the term for gender) can and she then uses the term transmen and then also includes nonbinary people as well as people that can possibly get pregnant.

Hawley is opposed to trans people switching genders to play sports or use the "other" bathroom and he clearly was trying to make a political point on this topic and it was right for her to shut him down along these lines.

It can lead to suicide or attacks by people in the community against trans people if the community doesn't accept them. Hawley needs to be more accepting and not publicly pushing his political line of questioning, which emboldens others to not accept trans people.

It isn't that hard to accept someone for who they are, so it is frustrating that many conservatives get hung up on this, especially as trans people are significantly more likely to report self harm like cutting or even suicide.

Making sure we all have dignity and respect goes a long ways in society.

Liberals is this about right?

Conservative point of view: Senator Hawley won the exchange.

The professor had previously said that abortion was a women's issue, so it seems illogical to also say that men can get pregnant. (She was probably talking about the sex in the 1st case and the gender in the 2nd case, which is why the language is confusing.)

A professor should try to encourage discussion, not shut it down by accusing the senator of being afraid of trans people or promoting violence. When the senator did question this exact point she then accused him of denying that trans people exist, something he clearly didn't do.

Some leftists will say that the 2020 George Floyd protests were not violence, even though many had literal physical violence and then in their next breath will say that Republican words asking questions that made sense for 99.9% of human history are violence and that is hypocritical.

Many conservatives feel that it is absurd that they are required to "affirm" what someone else thinks of themself and then question where that line is. Do we have to confirm Rachel Dolezal as a black woman, a dangerously thin bulimic person as obese, a struggling want to be comedian as funny, etc.

The professor is also very political claiming that the fact that white women are MORE likely to be prosecuted for opioid abuse while pregnant is a sign of white privilege, but you think that she'd also make the same exact argument if it were the opposite that white women were less likely to be prosecuted in that case.

Conservatives is that about right?

Type 1 logic error.

You presume that sex and gender being different is a fact; despite your contention, sex and gender are identical.

The whole canard of about a hundred different genders is pure psychopathic hogwash.

Part of the whole liberal problem is that conservatives have placated liberals by accepting most of their insane ideas as a political "compromise". The problem is that there is no "compromise" with liberals- they do not accept or tolerate any other views than their own. Thus it is pointless to seek a middle ground or compromise with libs, as there will be none.

It is time to basically state the facts- liberals and most of their policies are insane and should be condemned as such. Placating liberal fools simply encourages them to push out the envelope of twisted behavior even further.

Old 07-14-2022, 05:19 PM

27,156 posts, read 15,330,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stone26 View Post
I saw the video, and the Dr. was correct. Hawley was just being a jerk, and she called him out for it.
The Dr. hasn't a clue of what correct is.

Last edited by bluesjuke; 07-14-2022 at 05:40 PM..

Old 07-14-2022, 05:29 PM

27,156 posts, read 15,330,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rugratnyc View Post
A trans man (woman who now identifies as a man) can
Not a man.

Old 07-14-2022, 06:08 PM

8,806 posts, read 6,114,806 times
No. I refuse to do anything different. It is a mental disorder. The woke psychological associations have removed it from being classified as such, but that is what it is.

Old 07-14-2022, 07:03 PM

14,968 posts, read 9,821,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesjuke View Post
Not a man.
She's not a man.

Old 07-14-2022, 07:10 PM

25,776 posts, read 18,834,175 times
How stupid people like this get in positions of power clearly demonstrates failure of the system. This clown belongs in an asylum, not in a teaching position or even out in the real world. Delusional people need help, not validation.

Quote:
If I "identify" as a seagull, can I flap my arms and fly away? Denial of reality used to result in admittance to an asylum. Now the inmates are running the asylum. It's really about time for natural selection to take over bigtime. As always, the defectives are culled out. That's the way nature works.

Old 07-14-2022, 09:45 PM

158 posts, read 44,010 times
i just lovehow they always bring suicide in trans community as a problem of not being accepted. it is THEM(trans) selfs who are not accepting who they are and who they have become that leads to suicide.so stop this nonsense and get them who they are man or women so not 1 0ut of 5 would kill them self

Old 07-14-2022, 11:11 PM

10,035 posts, read 9,512,383 times
Quote:
So a woman.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies