Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Now that sex and gender are different, should we change their descriptive words to distinguish them?
Yes 2 6.25%
Unsure 3 9.38%
No 27 84.38%
Voters: 32. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2022, 09:24 AM

16,911 posts, read 10,598,766 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SerlingHitchcockJPeele View Post
People born with XY chromosomes, or XXY or any other variant with a "Y", can NOT get pregnant. Males can't have babies...period.

Ironically, these are the same people that told us to "Trust the Science" during the peak of Covid.
True, it’s the “y” that makes the male. We could talk about very rare chromosome failures or abnormalities, but the fact remains that you can’t simply become a member of the opposite sex/gender just because you believe it to be true.
Moderators for US and World Forums
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2022, 09:45 AM

6,473 posts, read 6,683,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by naicha View Post
it's all a big mess.

They rail against binary 'constructs' , yet demand you recognize them as one.
Rail against binary stereotypes yet use those stereotypes to determine if a child fits one or the other.
Exactly. For years now, when I would hear "he feels like a woman," I would ask, "How does a woman FEEL?" I'm a woman, but I don't claim to have universal knowledge of how it "feels" to be a woman. Like we all feel the same?!?

And now that the word "woman" can't even be defined, how in the world can a man think he feels like one? Like that awful episode of Dr Phil, where the *trans-whatever couldn't define woman, but said anyone who wants to be one, can be. How can anyone within IQ higher than that of a door knob believe this stuff?

Everyone should dress how they want, wear makeup and style their hair however they want, participate in activities they want (grouped by biological sex if appropriate), but stop thinking you can ever BE the opposite sex. Stop trying to force others to belief your unscientific, biologically impossible bullshyte.

*Sorry, I can't remember if this person considered themself to be a transman or a transwoman. They had a lot of facial hair, but was wearing a dress as I recall.

Old 07-14-2022, 10:16 AM

15,640 posts, read 10,398,506 times
there are only two sexes, male and female, but many cultures have a word descriptor for a third gender. for example, in india there are "Hijras," in the philippines "Bakla," in native american culture "two-spirited people," in mexico "Muxe," and in the pacific islands "Mahu."

Last edited by texan2yankee; 07-14-2022 at 10:29 AM..

Old 07-14-2022, 10:20 AM

7,928 posts, read 3,477,856 times
"Now that sex and gender are different"

Shouldn't that be the debate? Seems to me your poll is based on a faulty premise that presupposes that debate has been had and settled to the satisfaction of participants from both sides.

Old 07-14-2022, 10:54 AM

12,994 posts, read 9,521,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxic Waltz View Post
"Now that sex and gender are different"

Shouldn't that be the debate? Seems to me your poll is based on a faulty premise that presupposes that debate has been had and settled to the satisfaction of participants from both sides.
The OP wants to infer that the issue is settled by his subject line. It's not. Gender is male or female; it's not "fluid".

Old 07-14-2022, 11:04 AM

19,724 posts, read 10,135,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texan2yankee View Post
there are only two sexes, male and female, but many cultures have a word descriptor for a third gender. for example, in india there are "Hijras," in the philippines "Bakla," in native american culture "two-spirited people," in mexico "Muxe," and in the pacific islands "Mahu."
Don't forget "nutz".

Old 07-14-2022, 11:44 AM

16,097 posts, read 10,762,339 times
Gender and sex roles and the social partitions between the two permeate almost everything. That's why this is such a confusing and divisive issue to get adjusted to. I was talking to a Pueblo Indian man this past weekend and his first language was a Keres dialect (probably eastern Keres) and he made the point that there are two versions of many words and phrases, one for males and one for females. They are mutually intelligible within the tribal or family circle. If you ask a question of two speakers, male and female, they might answer with different words for the same response. I remember reading of the same sort of thing with the Natchez tribe in the 1600s -- male and female languages. The early French pioneers learned the language from women and were ridiculed by the men of the tribe. So, in these cases, even what language version you use reflects on your gender.

Old 07-14-2022, 11:51 AM

6,677 posts, read 2,979,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunGrins View Post
The early French pioneers learned the language from women and were ridiculed by the men of the tribe. So, in these cases, even what language version you use reflects on your gender.
I don't even think you need to go so such exotic realms.

Heck even Spanish has masculine and feminine words.
Asian language , such as Thai has different pronunciations depending on what sex is speaking and to whom.

Also, along the same topic..I don't find it compelling that some ancient tribes or cultures have 'third' gender ideas. They also believed the gods made crops wither. Or that people could be animal gods in human form.

They use words like Trans man and Trans woman all the time. Everyone knows what that is and have used it regardless of your stance. It is a descriptive term, we understand it.

No reason to try to say a Trans man IS a man. A trans man Is a Trans man.
It makes perfect sense to say a Trans Man can get pregnant. What's the issue?

Old 07-14-2022, 12:33 PM

13,626 posts, read 7,951,020 times
Gender and sex are not synonyms. We English-speakers only think they are because our language is not gendered the way Latin languages and others are.

Gender refers to language. Sex refers to people. Always has.

It is improper and ridiculous to assign a "gender" to a human being. We're so puritanical that using the word "sex" makes us feel uncomfortable, so we have swapped in the word "gender".

Old 07-14-2022, 12:43 PM

30,274 posts, read 23,751,941 times
You didn't put my choice in the poll:

x - "Knock this sht off, it's way beyond absurd, now. The majority will not be ruled by the Marxist minority. We see what you're doing, and we aren't going for it."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies