Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2022, 06:48 AM

27,656 posts, read 16,142,781 times

Advertisements

Heaven forbid you notice a trend in advertising
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2022, 06:50 AM

30,641 posts, read 18,242,637 times
Blame leftists and their control of the mainstream media. Racism is the order of the day for the left.

Old 08-23-2022, 06:55 AM

78,433 posts, read 60,628,324 times
I think that there is definitely a ratings related coverage tie in.

However, also keep in mind that in cases like this they tear into the boyfriend, family etc. looking for any dirt or suspicion.

That adds another layer of "true crime" interest.

This is not welcomed with certain demographics and would be deemed *racist*.

Oh well, look on the bright side it's older white women that make front page national news just for yelling at people. #karen

Old 08-23-2022, 07:02 AM

19,649 posts, read 12,235,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post

However, also keep in mind that in cases like this they tear into the boyfriend, family etc. looking for any dirt or suspicion.

Oh well, look on the bright side it's older white women that make front page national news just for yelling at people. #karen
They do have quite an obsession with white women, #creepy.

Old 08-23-2022, 07:09 AM

24,502 posts, read 17,245,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post
Blame leftists and their control of the mainstream media. Racism is the order of the day for the left.

That is so true.

The Media also hypes any stories that involve Police coming down hard on a Black suspect but they don't care when the Police beat up a White suspect. Heck, Police actually shoot more White suspects but we only hear about the Black ones.

The same can be said of mass shootings. The Media gets pumped up when a White guy with an AR15 shoots more than 3 people but when there is a shootout in "the Hood" that results in a dozen injuries and several deaths.... That is not good enough for National News because it does not push the Narrative and advance the Agenda of the Left.

Oh well. The Media are the ones that tell us what is important and what we should care about. Missing Pretty White Girls is front page news but Brown Girls being exploited at the Border and forced into the sex trade, they don't matter that much. It is sad.

Old 08-23-2022, 07:11 AM

21,382 posts, read 7,952,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post

It's s mini series every year.

They pick one story and all the MSM outlets broadcast for weeks.

You'd think just once just one network would go rogue and report on another story to try to grab viewers interest away from the other networks.

But that never happens. I find THAT incredibly interesting.

Old 08-23-2022, 07:32 AM

6,389 posts, read 2,714,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Of course it is. They even call it Missing White Woman Syndrome.

I listen to a podcast that covers cases of missing or murdered black, Latino, or indigenous women. Most of their cases never made the news.

Remember when everyone was searching for Gabby Petito? Did anyone know an Asian-American woman named Lauren Cho (from NJ) was also missing out west at the same time? Her remains have since been found in the desert.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Miss...woman_syndrome
Why must everything have some sort of label..

There are hundreds of Inner-CIty blacks and minorities killed through violence. What do we get if it gets reported on? You are told you are being "racist". But now if you don't talk enough about missing minorities you are...you guessed it...being "racist".

But then let's look at your example, and not mention race.

Gabby was 22 Years Old, and Lauren was 30. You can say it's only 8 years but people do in general have more of an interest when it involves younger people.

Then look at the lifestyle. One was a Young Adult who was traveling to explore the country with their fiance with the intention of returning home. One quit their job as a teacher to travel to the West Coast to open up a food truck.

One was heavily on Social Media, one was not.

Which one is going to get the most interest?

Old 08-23-2022, 08:42 AM

88,605 posts, read 84,838,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankNSense View Post
Why must everything have some sort of label..

There are hundreds of Inner-CIty blacks and minorities killed through violence. What do we get if it gets reported on? You are told you are being "racist". But now if you don't talk enough about missing minorities you are...you guessed it...being "racist".

But then let's look at your example, and not mention race.

Gabby was 22 Years Old, and Lauren was 30. You can say it's only 8 years but people do in general have more of an interest when it involves younger people.

Then look at the lifestyle. One was a Young Adult who was traveling to explore the country with their fiance with the intention of returning home. One quit their job as a teacher to travel to the West Coast to open up a food truck.

One was heavily on Social Media, one was not.

Which one is going to get the most interest?
Yes, there are other reasons that Cho was not as heavily reported on, but the Gabby thing was over the top. If she was fat and unattractive, for example, do you think she would have gotten the same media frenzy? I don't.

Anyway, you're going off the rails here. I'm not talking about "inner city violence" and whatnot, which is a whole different issue not relevant to my post. The true crime podcasts don't generally deal with those issues at all. I'm talking about young women who went missing or were found murdered who don't get much coverage because they aren't wealthy, pretty white girls. It's just a fact of life.

Old 08-23-2022, 09:09 AM

25,768 posts, read 18,826,754 times
Quote:
They even call it Missing White Woman Syndrome.
I haven't really been paying attention to missing girls races, but it seems to me that most of the "amber alerts" issued over the past years in my area have been Hispanic girls. At least those are the ones I recall. Guess I have a thing for Hispanic women, huh?

Old 08-23-2022, 10:01 AM

78,433 posts, read 60,628,324 times
Quote:
Of course it is. They even call it Missing White Woman Syndrome.

I listen to a podcast that covers cases of missing or murdered black, Latino, or indigenous women. Most of their cases never made the news.

Remember when everyone was searching for Gabby Petito? Did anyone know an Asian-American woman named Lauren Cho (from NJ) was also missing out west at the same time? Her remains have since been found in the desert.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Miss...woman_syndrome
You should read the response section of the Lauren Cho summary from her family.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Death_...n_Cho#Response

Quote:
her family, responded to comments made about the similarities between Cho's case and that of Gabby Petito stating, "We realize that on the surface, the public information for both cases share some similarities. We understand the frustration many of you have expressed about how and why certain cases receive national coverage. Ultimately, these two cases are NOT the same and the differences run deeper than what meets the public eye."
They boyfriend in this case called police 2 hours after she went missing after they'd searched for her themselves.

This case was not nearly as salacious as the petito story, not by a mile.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies