Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2022, 11:35 AM

88,605 posts, read 84,838,467 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
You should read the response section of the Lauren Cho summary from her family.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Death_...n_Cho#Response

They boyfriend in this case called police 2 hours after she went missing after they'd searched for her themselves.

This case was not nearly as salacious as the petito story, not by a mile.
I did read that, thanks.

Old 08-23-2022, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
No question that these all increase attention:
1) Good looking
2) clear villian identified, especially shady actions to stir up anger
3) "bread crumbs" like how the police had ran across petito or if they have video footage as opposed to *poof* disappeared. Hard to keep reporting on nothing.
4) villain and family are *attackable* without upsetting people that then claim racism etc.

That being said Britney Griner is getting a lot of attention and prior to this, sad to say it but a lot of people had zero idea who she was.
I didn't.

Old 08-23-2022, 11:36 AM

73,032 posts, read 62,634,962 times
I don't question why stories about blonde women going missing gain alot of traction. There is something else that should be asked. Why do we rarely get stories about men going missing? I also think about why stories about Black and Hispanic children going missing rarely gain traction. I try to avoid Wal-Mart. However, whenever I have gone to Wal-Mart, I see several pictures of children going missing. Most of them are Black or Hispanic. For as long as I've been alive, Black and Hispanic children get far less attention when they go missing. Men of any race rarely get as much attention either.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2022, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCSweettea View Post
I agree, they get more coverage. I mean we gotta call a spade a spade here and yes the media is biased with coverage of “pretty white girl” but ask yourself does it really matter? Does it bring her back? Did she suffer less of a fate because her picture is plastered all over the media and then every new story? The outcome is still the same. A sad loss of life.

It always kind of baffled me this insatiable attraction to blonde women. Blonde women don’t tend to age as well as more olive skinned women found around the world. But for whatever reason when they’re young, every man wants one. Lol

Reality is, any young person being a victim of a random crime of this nature is sad. What kind of media coverage they get, didn’t matter at the time they were being tortured, raped or murdered. It’s all the sad same in the end.
But sometimes it does matter on how they get justice, or don't.

Out of interest, you might want to read about Kaysera Stops Pretty Places, an 18-year-old indigenous woman who was missing and found murdered in Montana. There might be something pretty dark behind the investigation of her death, though, that wasn't relevant to the Gabby story.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisC View Post
I haven't really been paying attention to missing girls races, but it seems to me that most of the "amber alerts" issued over the past years in my area have been Hispanic girls. At least those are the ones I recall. Guess I have a thing for Hispanic women, huh?
Where I live, most of the "amber alerts" have been Black children under the age of 10. And for some bizarre reason, out of the small towns. Anytime I've been to Wal-Mart and found posters of missing children, most of them are Black or Hispanic. A large number of them runaways.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NVplumber View Post
Yeah, "pretty young blonde White girl missing" is the headline grabber. And this from the same media that howls so loudly about minority under representation. The media are verminous scavengers. This particular incident happened quite close to me. Prosser res is only about a half hour away. Used to hang out in that area a lot when I was in my 20s and lived just outside of Reno.

Folks hereabouts get pretty stirred up when a murder like this happens close. A story like this will always headline before the Hispanic or Black girl who gets shot in a driveby down on Sutro and Montello. Which does stir me up a bit considering how the media is always finding RACISM hiding in every quarter but their own.
Good point.

Old 08-23-2022, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
But sometimes it does matter on how they get justice, or don't.

Out of interest, you might want to read about Kaysera Stops Pretty Places, an 18-year-old indigenous woman who was missing and found murdered in Montana. There might be something pretty dark behind the investigation of her death, though, that wasn't relevant to the Gabby story.
Stories like that can do something to scare me. Same goes for a Black male, geology student, in his 20s who went missing in the Arizona desert. He went missing in June 2021. It's August 2022 and still no answers. While Gabby Petito was getting all kinds of coverage, Daniel Robinson, well, let's just say I haven't heard his name mentioned nearly as much.

It scares me because I have a habit of traveling alone, sometimes to remote places.

Old 08-23-2022, 11:51 AM

21,481 posts, read 10,582,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
I don't question why stories about blonde women going missing gain alot of traction. There is something else that should be asked. Why do we rarely get stories about men going missing? I also think about why stories about Black and Hispanic children going missing rarely gain traction. I try to avoid Wal-Mart. However, whenever I have gone to Wal-Mart, I see several pictures of children going missing. Most of them are Black or Hispanic. For as long as I've been alive, Black and Hispanic children get far less attention when they go missing. Men of any race rarely get as much attention either.
That’s because their parents don’t go to the media as much, or the news media isn’t shocked enough when crime happens in high crime areas. If people want more coverage demand it.

Old 08-23-2022, 11:53 AM

21,481 posts, read 10,582,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
Where I live, most of the "amber alerts" have been Black children under the age of 10. And for some bizarre reason, out of the small towns. Anytime I've been to Wal-Mart and found posters of missing children, most of them are Black or Hispanic. A large number of them runaways.
Most amber alerts are children taken by a parent in a custody dispute.

Old 08-23-2022, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by katygirl68 View Post
Most amber alerts are children taken by a parent in a custody dispute.
I've noticed that too, especially when White children go missing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies