Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2022, 12:02 PM

14,483 posts, read 11,289,544 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Layden85 View Post
It’s just seem liked that is when there is a lot of coverage

https://people.com/crime/kiely-rodni...nown-location/
It's probably mostly white people who read People.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2022, 12:12 PM

7,370 posts, read 3,829,330 times
Missing children and teens will, of course, get more coverage because they're minors. The Cho woman was 30; Rodni was 16. A missing child or teen is always a bigger story than a missing adult.

Old 08-23-2022, 12:13 PM

1,154 posts, read 274,544 times
Kiely Rodni was just 16 years old and therefore a minor in the eyes of the law.

Old 08-23-2022, 12:52 PM

88,605 posts, read 84,857,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattja View Post
Missing children and teens will, of course, get more coverage because they're minors. The Cho woman was 30; Rodni was 16. A missing child or teen is always a bigger story than a missing adult.
Yes, but nobody compared Cho to Rodni, though.

Same with Natalie Holloway, a student on a school trip.

Old 08-23-2022, 01:40 PM

21,481 posts, read 10,582,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
I've noticed that too, especially when White children go missing.
Most child kidnappings are done by a parent, doesn’t matter the race or ethnicity. It’s just a fact. It’s not some racist conspiracy.

Old 08-23-2022, 01:42 PM

12,993 posts, read 9,516,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
No question that these all increase attention:
1) Good looking
2) clear villian identified, especially shady actions to stir up anger
3) "bread crumbs" like how the police had ran across petito or if they have video footage as opposed to *poof* disappeared. Hard to keep reporting on nothing.
4) villain and family are *attackable* without upsetting people that then claim racism etc.

That being said Britney Griner is getting a lot of attention and prior to this, sad to say it but a lot of people had zero idea who she was.
Not sure why it's sad that few didn't know who she is. The WNBA doesn't have many fans.

But back to the original proposal, yes, young pretty white girls (blond or otherwise) get most of the attention. I suppose that's just human nature. But, it can be extended to include young, pretty girls of any race (even blacks that have "white features"). But young or not, pretty or not, and white or not, their families are impacted equally.

Old 08-23-2022, 01:45 PM

12,993 posts, read 9,516,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katygirl68 View Post
Most child kidnappings are done by a parent, doesn’t matter the race or ethnicity. It’s just a fact. It’s not some racist conspiracy.
Was this girl's disappearance shown to be criminal? I've not followed the case closely, but when they found the car with her (presumably it was her - I haven't heard for sure) in the lake, didn't she just run off the road into the lake? Reportedly she'd been drinking a lot at the party and possibly even using drugs.

Old 08-23-2022, 01:50 PM

27,656 posts, read 16,147,064 times
Isnt this racist sexist etc? I mean, just to notice this stuff? Can we safely state what else is observable, without being called a name?

Old 08-23-2022, 04:18 PM

21,481 posts, read 10,582,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketDawg View Post
Was this girl's disappearance shown to be criminal? I've not followed the case closely, but when they found the car with her (presumably it was her - I haven't heard for sure) in the lake, didn't she just run off the road into the lake? Reportedly she'd been drinking a lot at the party and possibly even using drugs.
Honestly I never heard about it and didn’t really click on the link. Just weighing in on the idea that white girls get more attention narrative, which isn’t even true that much. It just depends on what the media decides to focus on. Why do some cases get more attention than others? It seems to be random to me because you’ll have one story that only gets local attention while others get national attention. I guess it just depends on if some journalist picks it up and presents it to their editor.

How many interesting cases we have that only get local coverage and a car wreck in New York that should only get local coverage gets national attention. Obviously NYC local news becomes national news Bev that’s where all the news media is.

Old 08-23-2022, 04:26 PM

21,382 posts, read 7,952,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katygirl68 View Post
Honestly I never heard about it and didn’t really click on the link. Just weighing in on the idea that white girls get more attention narrative, which isn’t even true that much. It just depends on what the media decides to focus on. Why do some cases get more attention than others? It seems to be random to me because you’ll have one story that only gets local attention while others get national attention. I guess it just depends on if some journalist picks it up and presents it to their editor.

How many interesting cases we have that only get local coverage and a car wreck in New York that should only get local coverage gets national attention. Obviously NYC local news becomes national news Bev that’s where all the news media is.
The media choose. Not the public.

If anyone has an issue with it, send a social media statement into the gaping maw that is the internet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies