Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2022, 06:44 PM

1,266 posts, read 563,159 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lottamoxie View Post
More people in this country are in the moderate strata than on either wing of the bell curve. Each wing pays rapt attention to the other wing and ignores where most people actually identify, which is more center than not.

There has never been a far left president in the history of the U.S., despite the hyperbole over the last 2 to 5 years. Biden is fairly centrist with some left leanings. The whole construct of what is being called "libs" is basically whatever doesn't align to conservative and right wing politics. Even centrist, moderates, and Independents are called "libs," a media-coined term to stoke hatred, fear, and division.

I wouldn't make any predictions of what will happen as there are so many variables. The GOP has it's challenges, no doubt, but I'd never say never.
I think the fear in these situations isn't so much for the extremist executive, but rather one who would rubber stamp everything passed by an extremist Congress.

That said, I do think that the extremes of either party are largely a show, a distraction for the masses while the real powers that be handle their business. The issue arises as those extremists start gathering more followers, and they start picking up enough seats to become a real voting block.

Old 08-27-2022, 06:54 PM

2,912 posts, read 1,250,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bureaucat View Post
In the nation’s history the winner of the national popular vote has also won the Electoral College 90% of the time, so I wouldn’t say that it means nothing.

Only 5 times has the winner of the EC not won the popular vote; 1824, 1876, 1888, 2000 and 2016, and never back to back.

From an historical perspective, trying to consistently win the White House while losing the popular vote is a losing proposition. Perhaps that’s why so many on the far right are calling for secession.

Secession is for losers who fear that they can’t compete.
This is some fun logic. If I find myself trapped in a room with ten lunatics and two sane people, I'm a 'loser' for getting the hell out of that room and away from those people? This is literally the situation I find myself in. Except it's not a room. It's the formerly great United States.

Old 08-27-2022, 06:55 PM

5,581 posts, read 2,311,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliforniaGal View Post

Pres. Biden has never mentioned the Fentanyl that is coming in from over the border and is killing young people in America. It's a problem. I lost my 55 yr old brother in 2014 to Meth. He got clean and fell off the wagon. We have a terrible problem with drugs that the Biden people are NOT addressing.
I am very sorry to hear about your brother.

https://www.whitehouse.gov/ondcp/bri...t-trafficking/

4/21/2022

Today, President Joe Biden sent his Administration’s inaugural National Drug Control Strategy to Congress at a time when drug overdoses have reached a record high. The Strategy delivers on the call to action in President Biden’s Unity Agenda through a whole-of-government approach to beat the overdose epidemic. It proposes targeted actions to expand access to evidence-based prevention, harm reduction, treatment and recovery services while reducing the supply of drugs like fentanyl.
“This Strategy goes after two big drivers of the opioid epidemic: untreated addiction and drug trafficking,” said President Biden. “It’s time we treat addiction like any other disease. And at the same time, we are disrupting drug traffickers’ financial networks, supply chains, and delivery routes, including on the internet.”

....[More details in above link]

Old 08-27-2022, 07:28 PM

18,114 posts, read 15,696,543 times
People have allowed themselves to get so manipulated they don't know what's what and it's just cuckoo crazy. Everyone would be so much healthier if they turned OFF all TV, all media, and got some fresh air and exercise and stopped marinating in the "news."

I don't watch. Cut off cable TV 12 years ago. Refuse to watch the news.

Old 08-27-2022, 07:59 PM

16,097 posts, read 10,766,542 times
Quote:
I was clear in what I said -- Biden is a centrist. That means neither of the wings will ever be happy with him, as these things go, and both sides will get pizzed off.
Exactly. Many of the folks we hear from on this forum are so far to the right that they have lost their bearings and just join in on the Fox and Breitbart narrative. They have no idea what a moderate is, except that they are RINOs if part of the GOP because they were told so by lying Trump media sources. They are afraid of moderates. Biden is not far left. The right likes to flap their lips about Biden's poll ratings but a portion of the dissatisfaction is from the left. Those people would never vote GOP.

Old 08-27-2022, 08:11 PM

32,816 posts, read 19,500,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jbraybarten65 View Post
Mitch is the reason why the GOP has done anything that it has set out to do the last 15 years.

The GOP has moved sharply to the right. They are out of control. Mitch isn't able to do things like he did because the Marge's of the world say the quiet part out loud.

He's right about the current candidates.
the GOP has moved to the right...slightly to the right

while the DNC has moved sharply to the left, between the squad, and warren, and sanders they are moving very fast towards the extreme left of communism.... Sanders has been a communism cheerleader since the 60's

Old 08-27-2022, 08:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunGrins View Post
Exactly. Many of the folks we hear from on this forum are so far to the right that they have lost their bearings and just join in on the Fox and Breitbart narrative. They have no idea what a moderate is, except that they are RINOs if part of the GOP because they were told so by lying Trump media sources. They are afraid of moderates. Biden is not far left. The right likes to flap their lips about Biden's poll ratings but a portion of the dissatisfaction is from the left. Those people would never vote GOP.
Biden has always been a leftist...not extreme leftist, but certainly not the fid of him being a moderate...and now he is just a puppet, he is just a shell of what he used to be, but his puppet-masters are very far left

Old 08-27-2022, 08:17 PM

Quote:
I was clear in what I said -- Biden is a centrist. That means neither of the wings will ever be happy with him, as these things go, and both sides will get pizzed off.
no biden is not a centrist... if he was a centrist, he would not be issuing all these authoritarian EO's

Old 08-27-2022, 08:22 PM

4,146 posts, read 2,842,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DorianRo View Post
Its a fractured party with constant infighting and no proactive measures to fix anything other than whining and the party hasn't won the majority vote in YEARS. Always playing defense. . You can bookmark it and take a picture, Republicans stand no chance until 2028 at least... Maybe 2026 if they get a bit more moderate and start to appeal to a broader audience
The abortion ruling hurt but I wouldn’t count them out just yet. From a strategy standpoint, that ruling should’ve hit AFTER the midterms.

Old 08-27-2022, 08:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jbraybarten65 View Post
I disagree. Nixon started the EPA... had discussions on healthcare. In the 80s, Republicans debated environmental policy.

Bush senior called out supply side economics. Some Republicans worked on campaign finance reform and immigration.

That's all in the past now.

Now it's conspiracy theories.

To say that Sanders and others champion "communism" is silly.
how is it silly when Sanders BASHED JFK over cuba..in support of the communists

how is it silly when Sanders BASHED Reagan over the berlin wall..in support of the communists

how is it silly when Sanders honeymooned in the USSR

how is it silly when Sanders BASHED Bush2 over Venezuela ..in support of the communists

how is it silly when Sanders stated the greatest nation is the USSR

yes Nixon started the EPA...did the democrats??? NO... but Nixon did....and the regs at the time were reasonable but today the left wants pie in the sky regs that sure save the planet, but also kill the companies that feed, clothes, house the people.... the left of today doesn't understand reasonable

its the same way with cannabis ... the left (the democrats) of 1937 outlawed it..... today they have changed, cool (I have supported hemp/cannabis for decades)... but do they talk about the 10,001 uses for hemp/cannabis, no..all they talk about is getting high......and yes many of the republicans have fallen for the lefts agenda pertaining to cannabis from the 30's, and even the lefts only talking about getting high, so many on the right have bought into the lefts yellow journalism of being anti-hemp
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies