Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2022, 07:26 AM

24,502 posts, read 17,250,696 times

Advertisements

Does it matter where an Immigrant comes from as long as they follow our Laws to get here Legally and once here they continue to follow our laws and become a productive member of our society and not a leach?

What I don't understand about the Democrats open border is that they are allowing Millions of low skilled people in that are only fit for manual labor. I have seen this in person where the men go out to labor in construction and landscaping and the women stay home with the kids and they often have a side hustle like operating a daycare, a nail/hair salon etc.. I wonder how they will feel when Biden' armed IRS agents kick in their door looking for their cut of the cash business?

As for the claim that they are fleeing gang violence maybe they are BUT what gives an Illegal precedent and preferential treatment by the Democrats over the citizen single mom with 3 kids that is forced to live in any one of our inner cities where crime is rampant and shoot outs in the street are a nightly activity? Can this family seek asylum?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2022, 07:56 AM

26,512 posts, read 15,088,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Cod Todd View Post
What I don't understand about the Democrats open border is that they are allowing Millions of low skilled people in that are only fit for manual labor.
Andrew Yang: we need to make it easier for manual labor immigrants to get into the country.

Also Andrew Yang: millions of manual labor jobs will be permanently destroyed in the near future by AI and automation in a way never seen before so we need to implement UBI.

Old 09-03-2022, 08:07 AM

25,775 posts, read 18,834,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freesponge View Post
Where the Central American families are running from fear of gang violence
Allowing your nation to become a cesspool is not sufficient reason for other nations to rescue you. Perhaps you should consider cleaning up your own country rather than destroying another.

Old 09-03-2022, 08:08 AM

35,711 posts, read 21,076,200 times
There’s a list on their website - I think - but it’s a numbers game. Say. 10,000 from the UK. 40,000 from India, 40,000 from Honduras to who will get petitions approved. However. Asylum is a different horse. Don’t know except some old Gov official with maybe deep enemies would ask for asylum from Denmark. Ireland possibly.

Old 09-03-2022, 08:11 AM

13,258 posts, read 22,853,022 times
The Norway and Netherlands-based folks I know have zero desire to immigrate here, citing the quality of life and work-life balance they get where they are now. They cringe at the idea that two weeks of paid leave a year is somehow enough.

The Norwegian in the case above can apply for either an EB-5 investment visa or a ‘genius’ visa. You know, the kind that Melania used to get her green card.

Old 09-03-2022, 08:14 AM

21,154 posts, read 19,736,448 times
It should be one-for-one: for every American that emigrates to a particular country, we allow one person to immigrate to America from that country.

Old 09-03-2022, 08:15 AM

35,711 posts, read 21,076,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisC View Post
Allowing your nation to become a cesspool is not sufficient reason for other nations to rescue you. Perhaps you should consider cleaning up your own country rather than destroying another.

We have our own deplorables and don’t think we can point fingers. Poverty levels are different, but for the most part, central n South Americans are worker bees. They invent, cook, create anything to sell n make money. If took the political and critical views away, given the opportunity- you would see they become very successful. But many are afraid of that.
Those countries are also producing amazing minds. Cures to cancer and other medical innovations. One kid came up with something to make clean water from something. I can’t remember. I am not for boxing people up and saying they this or that. Good n bad live with us all.

Old 09-03-2022, 08:21 AM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 11 days ago)

35,637 posts, read 17,989,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WK91 View Post
The Immigration Act of 1965 killed our country. Ted Kennedy and Dean Rusk, Democrats of course, lied to us all, they said that this bill (Hart Celler Act) would not change the fabric of our country. They either straight up lied or were incompetent, take your pick.

Ted Kennedy on the floor of the Senate, “Our cities will not be flooded with immigrants…”. What a piece of work he was.

They vastly underestimated chain migration. Or they knew what would happen, but figured they’d be long in the grave by the time it got really bad in our country.

I’ll bet you that if every voter back in 1964 had a glimpse of what was to come of our country, they would’ve rioted in the streets to stop it.

Multiculturalism does not work. Calling me a racist for posting that doesn’t change the fact that it does not work.
The great irony is, our cities have ALWAYS been flooded with immigrants.

Old 09-03-2022, 08:22 AM

62,993 posts, read 29,170,163 times
Quote:
It does work but we need to put more emphasis on the economic trade offs of decisions made and ask ourselves if it is good for the US economy. If we are taking in poor refugees that can be a win-win but we need to fast-track them through areas of employment assessing where they are trained at home, so that source of compensation they work for by doing a daytime job, more than replaces resources being used to cover their welfare. This is the right approach. Sometimes we can be altruistic but when we go that route we need to ask ourselves what CAN we do to minimize the taxpayer cost of these decisions and not just wastefully pay for all their healthcare and housing and pose no required end of the bargain that they need to fulfill in order to stay.
We should not make it hard for asylum seekers to find jobs in America they are qualified to do because that’s not a punishment on them it’s a punishment on us to have to use taxpayer money to pay for their expenses for our own faulty logic of not allowing them work opportunity.

It is humane, it doesn’t drain American resources, and it satisfies the “I’ll do anything to come to the US”. Then focus on the “anything” part. Offer things like jobs they are qualified to take on right away, even serving army or navy or marine …. English immersion with Duolingo or language tools , etc
The economy isn't everything. A cohesive, less populated country should be our goal. Poor asylum seekers and illegal aliens aren't a benefit to our country. Providing them with low waged jobs that doesn't pay them a liveable wage the taxpayer ends up supplementing their living and social costs. Most of these asylym seekers are making bogus claims anyway.

I'm only interested in what is humane for American citizens and yes these poor foreigners will be a drain our our resources.

Old 09-03-2022, 08:22 AM

134 posts, read 38,402 times
Quote:
Where the Central American families are running from fear of gang violence

The Norway immigrants a family that opened a new artificial intelligence medical care technology and wants to expand the product through say Mayo Clinic in Minnesota and obtain green card visa and then expand a franchise into the US and improve American consumerism
That’s not why they are coming here, that is a silly talking point that ignorant people use. Have you worked in construction? Central American illegals come here lowering wages and then funnel the money they earn back home to build mansions. According to the UN, Mexico is a safe zone for illegals therefore your premise is bogus. In fact, there was an article a few years back of Mexican and Central American immigrants talking about how much more ghetto and gang invested their area of Los Angeles was then back home. There is also “fees” businesses pay to gangs in these areas, whether they want to or not. So gang violence is not one reason they come here, it’s all about Democrats promising hand outs to exploit another class of people.

But since you care about illegals so much, how many threads have you started to address the poverty, income inequality and segregation in Democrat cities? Zilch.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies