Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2022, 08:40 AM

3,257 posts, read 1,411,398 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by swagger View Post
If you can't heat your water with gas, gas won't be brought in to the property. Electric water heaters are responsible for ~30% of electricity usage and if you can't switch that to gas, there's no point.

It's effectively a ban on all gas appliances.
That’s not true where we live. We have a natural gas furnace and stove and an electric water heater and AC unit. House was a new build….natural gas lines were run to the house w/o issue. Maybe it is different in CA.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2022, 08:42 AM

7,258 posts, read 3,785,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anononcty View Post
California wants to ban natural gas heaters and furnaces and replace them with electric heat pumps.by 2030. Would be the first state to do so.

https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/...173917421.html

Another proposal from the California Air Resources Board
CARB is the most hated unelected board in California.

No more nuclear power plants
No more LNG power plants

So, solar and wind power to power all those mandated EVs, electric ranges in new homes, and now electric heating?

Every home in the state uses forced-air gas heating and many use gas ranges.

This is the very definition of insanity.

Old 09-24-2022, 08:45 AM

7,258 posts, read 3,785,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WVNomad View Post
That’s not true where we live. We have a natural gas furnace and stove and an electric water heater and AC unit. House was a new build….natural gas lines were run to the house w/o issue. Maybe it is different in CA.
Most common arrangement in CA.

Forced-air natural gas furnace
Natural gas water heater
Electric or natural gas dryer
Electric or natural gas stove
Electric air conditioning

New homes lean towards electric, but there's way more existing homes that use gas.

Old 09-24-2022, 08:47 AM

15,054 posts, read 8,625,891 times
Quote:
California wants to ban natural gas heaters and furnaces and replace them with electric heat pumps.by 2030. Would be the first state to do so.

https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/...173917421.html

Another proposal from the California Air Resources Board
As long as the Capitol is not stormed, and the lunatics drug out into the streets and tarred and feathered, the insanity will continue.

Old 09-24-2022, 09:09 AM

19,717 posts, read 10,114,371 times
They would have a stroke here with all the people heating with wood.

Old 09-24-2022, 09:23 AM

5,734 posts, read 4,691,377 times
I don't see how they are going to force existing homes to remove their gas appliances, and switch to all electric.

Besides the huge cost of the new appliances, then you have all the required electrical upgrades to handle the new load.

Most old homes in CA only have a 100amp panel. You'd need double that to handle electric cooktops and water heaters.

Not to mention, where all this new electricity supply is going to come from to power all these new appliances.

Idiocy.

Old 09-24-2022, 09:23 AM

5,044 posts, read 2,397,233 times
Quote:
This. Electric heat pumps not exactly a light bulb. And frequently work best supplementing existing heating systems. But to take the entire load. Not that California is Alaska but some people use heat when temperature drops below 60 outside.
I just put in a single head 18,000 BTU heat pump for a 1,000 square foot house with 10 foot ceilings. It is rated to work until -5. They do lose efficiency as it gets colder but saying it can't do below 60 is such a wild exaggeration that it is simply dishonest. It also works as an ultra efficient air conditioner and this would certainly be ideal for a climate like California where you want heat and air. It is almost a no brainer.

That said banning other heat sources is crazy. I have a ventless propane heater. This also gets very opinionated comments when discussed. Evidently my house is thoroughly dampened and I should be dead by now. I also use wood which is also as evil as it gets.

There is no need to diss mini splits because of your ignorance in regards of how to apply the technology. I would give my propane heater of the same BTU in a heart beat if that was the choice. Of course one costs $129 and the other $2,000 installed. They barely use any electricity r compared to conventional, electric air con and furnaces.

Old 09-24-2022, 09:29 AM

5,044 posts, read 2,397,233 times
If they were rational they would first try to swap out over time older and inefficient air conditioners which would be a net gain in power savings if replaced with mini splits. Start with all the piece of crap window unit air con units and replace with mini split that uses 1/4 the electricity. Leave the LNG alone as people said you really want to have some redundancy for heating. If you cou"d replace enough old furnaces and air con units in that way you might take a big burden off the grid. But they wont. I am telling you don't blame mini splits for Californias stupidity.

Old 09-24-2022, 10:29 AM

9,846 posts, read 4,630,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lookingaround12345 View Post
I just put in a single head 18,000 BTU heat pump for a 1,000 square foot house with 10 foot ceilings. It is rated to work until -5. They do lose efficiency as it gets colder but saying it can't do below 60 is such a wild exaggeration that it is simply dishonest. It also works as an ultra efficient air conditioner and this would certainly be ideal for a climate like California where you want heat and air. It is almost a no brainer.

Not saying the heat pumps can't do below 60 but the grid might not when people start turning them on en mass. And many who buy/ have bought them with supplementing their primary source of heat so they might be undersized in many cases. Some only use them during the day or above a certain temperature to help control their gas bill for example.

New construction will account for full time use but those who have to replace or retro fit cost will be a factor as will the size unit they can buy.

It' wouldn't like using them in Chicago or Canada but for an already strained grid the pumps, electric stoves and dryers especially used at night for example when people are home could cause grid issues

Last edited by anononcty; 09-24-2022 at 10:50 AM..

Old 09-24-2022, 10:37 AM

3,345 posts, read 2,307,767 times
Ironically I heard it was illegal to install a heat pump in a residence until very recently due to a fuel switching law in CA. Which is why up to today they were extremely hard to find in a residential home in California and limited to a hotel/motel or office. As well as homes in many other southern states as well as in other parts of the world i.e Asia. Most everyone had a natural gas furnace and a separate a/c if they have it at all.

Though another idea is hybrid system which can switch between natural gas and heat pump depending on energy usage and how much it needs to work. Ie heat pump can be used to maintain the heat midday when its warmer or above freezing.

I strongly believe the movement to greatly limit use of grocery bags reduced its manufacturing from waste products of natural gas production resulting in a new issue that those must be burned or disposed off with greater environmental risk which causes a new unintended consequence which would likely result in an avalenche of natural gas bans.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies