Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2022, 11:17 AM

52,283 posts, read 52,713,798 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by L00k4ward View Post
A lot of good points.
A curveball is the refrigerants they keep changing - due to regulations, etc.
Another one is maintenance - it could be a lot of nasty stuff if not maintained properly - growing in the indoor units.

Extremely poor HVAC skills of installers, who nevertheless charging exorbitant amounts just because it is new in US technology- in India, Venezuela, Thailand - homeowners install it themselves or for very little money.

All the manuals I saw are caution against “coastal” salty air for outdoor units too
There are third party companies that will treat the coils with a coating to help prevent corrosion. I know they do it for larger commercial units. Not sure about the mini split units though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2022, 12:56 PM

5,745 posts, read 4,704,331 times
Does this ban include propane?

I can't find any definitive info that answers that question.

Old 09-25-2022, 01:04 PM

43,124 posts, read 18,281,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Axxlrod View Post
Does this ban include propane?

I can't find any definitive info that answers that question.

the source...word search of the document did not turn up the word "propane"

https://ww2.arb.ca.gov/sites/default...P_Strategy.pdf

Old 09-26-2022, 06:49 AM

3,348 posts, read 2,312,464 times
Its interesting how minisplits are not so common in North America because of the cost. But yet they are somewhat more common in poorer countries i.e Mexico in Latin America. I be curious how they are able to afford it as they they are almost four times the cost of a window a/c unit?

They may or may not always work well though for all situations . I know a store that had minisplits but it was so ineffective that they went for central duct system instead. But they are good for apartments/condos who don't have airducts. Often with no a/c at all or only one unit in the living room for a three room unit.

They may also be good for winter states where they have steam heat and now have to install and remove window units twice every year. I am not so sure but I doubt those units needs to be removed but I guess they are winterized though.

Last edited by citizensadvocate; 09-26-2022 at 07:17 AM..

Old 09-26-2022, 06:55 AM

4,908 posts, read 2,059,477 times
My only question, would the elites in California be held to the same standards as the average working Californian?

Sadly, the elites come up with this BS and will automatically exempt themselves from their own policies. Their Governor is a perfect example for setting policies, but not following them.

Old 09-26-2022, 07:48 AM

43,124 posts, read 18,281,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bergun View Post
My only question, would the elites in California be held to the same standards as the average working Californian?

Sadly, the elites come up with this BS and will automatically exempt themselves from their own policies. Their Governor is a perfect example for setting policies, but not following them.
All the climate change hypocrites fly on private jets.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies