Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2022, 07:03 PM

1,212 posts, read 733,606 times

Advertisements

Air-source heat-pumps can reduce the air-conditioning load on the electricity powergrid during the summer but increase the heating load on the powergrid during the winter because of the replacement of natural-gas heaters. However, electric water-heaters and stoves also increase the demand on the powergrid but at anytime of the year.

But that's not what the political-platform is saying. They are just saying no natural-gas services. Now the electricity powergrid is not carbon-neutral. The political-platform pretends to reduce carbon-release instead of accounting carbon-release.

Well, see, the demand for electricity in California is expected to increase 68% by the year 2045. But as the demand for electricity increases then the percentage of carbon-free electricity in the powergrid will decrease.

The big reduction in energy-use would be with ground-source heat-pumps. But the political-platform is only saying no natural-gas services

Last edited by T Block; 09-24-2022 at 07:28 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2022, 07:16 PM

52,283 posts, read 52,713,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lookingaround12345 View Post
Mini splits really shine in regards to cooling. But what makes them great is it is getting cooler in my house tonight, and it reversed to heating from a day it had to cool. The auto feature and internet technology to set various situations and adjust it in you car from anywhere is a game changer. It is also ductless so can be retrofitted almost anywhere. If building new you only need one HVAC guy because that's all it takes.

They are light years ahead of some convoluted forced air gas set up.

If you are handy you can get pre-charged equipment and not need an HVAC guy. It's all win win. Gas isn't cheap around here and using a heat exchange system and a small amount of refrigerant is clever.
Mini splits are fine when under 1 ton. Half ton is where they shine.

Old 09-24-2022, 07:37 PM

5,745 posts, read 4,701,984 times
Does this ban include propane also? Because that would suck.

Old 09-24-2022, 07:58 PM

5,044 posts, read 2,400,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
Mini splits are fine when under 1 ton. Half ton is where they shine.
I agree. I don't have experience with zone heating and cooling. I am going to make an addition soon. Now that I know how to do it I would just add another unit. For really big houses they should have a better plan. Less than 3,000 soft you should own at least one mini split. I can guarantee it will lower your cooling bill, in Los Angeles.every house should have one. But yeah you don't ban gas. Just systems requiring ducts. The very definition of inefficient;.

Old 09-24-2022, 08:23 PM

21,867 posts, read 25,154,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMSRetired View Post
I don't understand how they can push all these "get off gas" bills when their own grid is under strains with what they have now.

The 2030 date is a WEF date that Biden promised for the US....we'd be 50% reduced carbon output by 2030...100% reduced output by 2050.

CA is just going along with the global agenda.

Biden campaigned on this. And the people put him in office. This is the Green New Deal.

https://www.whitehouse.gov/briefing-...-technologies/
Today, President Biden will announce a new target for the United States to achieve a 50-52 percent reduction from 2005 levels in economy-wide net greenhouse gas pollution in 2030....
As part of re-entering the Paris Agreement, he also launched a whole-of-government process, organized through his National Climate Task Force, to establish this new 2030 emissions target – known as the “nationally determined contribution” or “NDC,” a formal submission to the United Nations Framework Convention on Climate Change (UNFCCC).
Because nobody uses their heater during summer heat waves.

Most of CA population is located in mild climates. I went through most of the winter without even realizing I didn't have the gas to my heater on, just never need it.

Paris was the old deal, just back on track.

Old 09-24-2022, 08:29 PM

5,044 posts, read 2,400,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malloric View Post
Because nobody uses their heater during summer heat waves.

Most of CA population is located in mild climates. I went through most of the winter without even realizing I didn't have the gas to my heater on, just never need it.

Paris was the old deal, just back on track.
Nobody uses their heaters where I am from either during the summer. How about air conditioning?

Old 09-24-2022, 08:58 PM

52,283 posts, read 52,713,798 times
Quote:
I agree. I don't have experience with zone heating and cooling. I am going to make an addition soon. Now that I know how to do it I would just add another unit. For really big houses they should have a better plan. Less than 3,000 soft you should own at least one mini split. I can guarantee it will lower your cooling bill, in Los Angeles.every house should have one. But yeah you don't ban gas. Just systems requiring ducts. The very definition of inefficient;.
Commercial system require duct work in many instances, but whatever. Home based systems you could throw up a couple of mini slits in key parts of the house and be fine.

I'm trying to not get too far of topic.

Old 09-25-2022, 04:02 AM

3,933 posts, read 2,195,052 times
Quote:
I don't agree they would put more strain in the summer. If somebody had AC anyway it is much better to use a mini split which uses a fraction of the energy to cool. You want to use a mini split in place of not in addition to a conventional AC unit. Mini splits are something like 400% more efficient for cooling. The great thing is they are very quiet you can barely hear it, sometimes I don't know if it is on. They will get your room extremely cold, it will freeze you out if sized right. It will save you money on your electric bill. You can use your phone to control it meaning you don't have to buy a smart thermostat. You can turn your heat off and on from anywhere with wifi.

And yeah I am not sure why anybody would buy a stand alone heat pump instead of a mini split. In the winter is what I would think about. They get less efficient as it gets colder. Although in California in lower locations this is not any problem. In fact that climate is a perfect place and you can use it as a primary source. Someday you won't have a choice anyway. Lol

If you get a 110 volt version you can run it on a generator should the power fail. They hardly use any power at all you cou,d use a small Honda.
A lot of good points.
A curveball is the refrigerants they keep changing - due to regulations, etc.
Another one is maintenance - it could be a lot of nasty stuff if not maintained properly - growing in the indoor units.

Extremely poor HVAC skills of installers, who nevertheless charging exorbitant amounts just because it is new in US technology- in India, Venezuela, Thailand - homeowners install it themselves or for very little money.

All the manuals I saw are caution against “coastal” salty air for outdoor units too

Old 09-25-2022, 04:15 AM

3,933 posts, read 2,195,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T Block View Post

The big reduction in energy-use would be with ground-source heat-pumps. But the political-platform is only saying no natural-gas services
True, but… the political ignoramuses focus on a wrong targets.

We would drastically cut the use of heating and a/c if they put all their efforts in developing safe insulation and a way to airseal the existing homes before insulating;
Establishing. Promoting and enforcing strict airsealing, insulation and ventilation building practices: the heat and a/c not needed - is the energy saved.

They should start with prohibiting electric tank water heating - the most wasteful- electric tankless is the way to go - amazing amount of money saved, simple inexpensive tech - saves water even if you put the tiny ones at the point of use - under the sink or in the shower.
The whole world couldn’t be wrong

The truth is - all our buildings are cardboard houses always built incompetently - even millionaires houses and continued so as we speak

We are so good at military toys but so awful in technology for the civil use - that is why we have such high monthly bills for years to come.

Last edited by L00k4ward; 09-25-2022 at 04:47 AM..

Old 09-25-2022, 05:56 AM

8,420 posts, read 4,578,117 times
Quote:
I don't agree they would put more strain in the summer. If somebody had AC anyway it is much better to use a mini split which uses a fraction of the energy to cool. You want to use a mini split in place of not in addition to a conventional AC unit. Mini splits are something like 400% more efficient for cooling. The great thing is they are very quiet you can barely hear it, sometimes I don't know if it is on. They will get your room extremely cold, it will freeze you out if sized right. It will save you money on your electric bill. You can use your phone to control it meaning you don't have to buy a smart thermostat. You can turn your heat off and on from anywhere with wifi.

And yeah I am not sure why anybody would buy a stand alone heat pump instead of a mini split. In the winter is what I would think about. They get less efficient as it gets colder. Although in California in lower locations this is not any problem. In fact that climate is a perfect place and you can use it as a primary source. Someday you won't have a choice anyway. Lol

If you get a 110 volt version you can run it on a generator should the power fail. They hardly use any power at all you cou,d use a small Honda.
Mini-splits are basically two part window units that use a hole in the wall instead of a window. Great if you only have one room. The more rooms you have the more head units you need. The two things they have that make them more efficient (in certain circumstances) is variable compressors (no reason you couldn't put a VFD on a central AC.) And no duct work to keep cool. Large commercial AC fixes that by sending chilled water from the condenser to the air handler. Mini-splits do it by sending refrigerant via a line set to the air handler. Both ways make sense over sending cooled air through a duct in a hot attic/crawlspace. I think mini-splits are great for certain applications but not everything.

Last edited by clutchcargo777; 09-25-2022 at 06:21 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies