Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2022, 01:18 PM

6,105 posts, read 2,728,554 times

Advertisements

President Joe Biden is taking his first major steps toward decriminalizing marijuana, fulfilling a campaign pledge to erase prior federal possession convictions and beginning the process of loosening federal classification of the drug.

Biden on Thursday will pardon all prior federal offenses of simple marijuana possession, a move that senior administration officials said would affect thousands of Americans.

“Sending people to prison for possessing marijuana has upended too many lives and incarcerated people for conduct that many states no longer prohibit,” Biden said in a statement. “Criminal records for marijuana possession have also imposed needless barriers to employment, housing, and educational opportunities. And while White and Black and brown people use marijuana at similar rates, Black and brown people have been arrested, prosecuted, and convicted at disproportionate rates.”

He will also encourage governors to take similar steps to pardon state simple marijuana possession charges, and will task the Department of Health and Human Services and Attorney General Merrick Garland to “expeditiously” review how marijuana is scheduled under federal law.

https://www.cnn.com/2022/10/06/polit...den/index.html

Seems like a good idea to me locking someone up for smoking weed is stupid and a waste of taxpayer dollars bigger fish to fry out there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2022, 01:20 PM

4,299 posts, read 1,558,478 times
It's the right thing to do.

But it's also a cynical vote grabber for the upcoming midterms.

Old 10-06-2022, 01:21 PM

7,379 posts, read 3,536,587 times
hopefully it is removed from the schedule I substance act. otherwise this doesn’t mean anything

Old 10-06-2022, 01:22 PM

4,299 posts, read 1,558,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kristinas_Cap View Post
hopefully it is removed from the schedule I substance act. otherwise this doesn’t mean anything
He did also say that would be changed.

Old 10-06-2022, 01:25 PM

445 posts, read 321,473 times
Good move by this administration. Took long enough.

Old 10-06-2022, 01:27 PM

15,946 posts, read 12,295,551 times
It's a good start. I just voted for measure 27 today... and I voted for the democrat candidate for governor Jamie smith. In the end I used a coin toss, and he won both tosses.

I voted for republicans and independents across the rest of the ticket to balance things out. Kristi Noem did 3 things to annoy me: Sued to nullify Amendment A, mailing attack ads on Smith in the mail that are largely crap, and now making promises to eliminate the food tax, promises she can't keep. Her trickery does not go unnoticed by me... whereas I might have voted for her before the last two mentioned items, I opted to do the coin toss, and Smith won.

If Smith wins, at least I don't have to worry about her suing to nullify another voter passed marijuana legalization amendment, or vetoing any future passed legislation. I like gridlock, because I largely dislike both political parties, I just dislike the left more.

Old 10-06-2022, 01:28 PM

1,706 posts, read 637,173 times
They need to hurry up and just legalize it.

Old 10-06-2022, 01:30 PM

6,389 posts, read 2,714,312 times
So even though marijuana is still illegal at the Federal Level, and is still a Schedule I drug, he is going to Pardon anyone conflicted with Simple marijuana possession.

Is he also now going to direct Federal Prosecutors to stop charging people with these crimes, or is it going to be a Rubber Stamp that once you get Convicted you also get Pardoned?

Seems like "Executive Order" Biden is putting the Cart before the Horse.

Old 10-06-2022, 01:32 PM

13,286 posts, read 8,463,474 times
Federal sentencing implies that the person was any of the following: transporting this product across state lines. Selling it in various states. Consuming it and profiting from it ..all free in clear of the uncle Sam Cut.
Not a fan of this nod to mj dealers, and profiteers from drug deals. Particularly when minors were used to sell.

Do the time. We are becoming permissive and dismissive of illegal activities...

Old 10-06-2022, 01:36 PM

19,814 posts, read 9,371,980 times
One of the few things Biden has done that has my complete approval.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies