Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2022, 07:02 PM

9,137 posts, read 6,196,866 times

Advertisements

The judges must be very proud that they selected the fattest, ugliest person there.

You can be inclusive and still be honest. Here are three real contenders.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2022, 07:08 PM

8,016 posts, read 5,862,519 times
He won the "Miss Greater Derry Cattle" pageant.

Please, do not try to milk that bull.

Old 11-09-2022, 08:09 PM

30,259 posts, read 23,746,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
I'm thinking the 60's and early 70's. What killed the show - entertainment value wise - was when all the contestants had a real talent to display. Excellent musicians, accomplished ballet dancers, etc. It just wasn't fun anymore. The fun part was watching someone get up there and halfway juggle, or extremely amateur gymnastics, or poetic interpretation. Good times, there.

It's just, also, not politically correct to judge women on their bodies and faces, and make them parade across the stage dog show style, turning this way and that.

But it sure was fun while lasted - and it will never return to that height.
No, it was still happening in the 80s. I remember, as a little kid, watching those shows every year. Everyone watched back then.

We didn't have quite the...'entertainment' that we have now with talent contests, voice contests, insipid reality shows (I assume those are still going, I haven't had TV in almost a decade), etc. We also didn't have YouTube, Netflix, Hulu, Prime streaming, I forget what all the others are - the point is, yes, we had cable, but those Miss America and other shows were watched by a large number of people, even in the 80s.

It's kind of like the Oscars - which are not quite dead, but getting there. The Oscars used to be huge. Same with the Grammy awards show. The majority of the country would watch those shows on those nights, and everyone would talk about it the next day.

Now? We don't care for those shows unless Ricky Gervais roasts the ego out of them, or Will Smith slaps the crap out of someone. A very small number of people watch those shows, even when they are on YouTube for anyone to see.

We have become a country who doesn't, overall, really give much of a .... uh...care...about those shows anymore. Celebrities are no longer on some pedestal, except in the pre teen and teen age groups. We also have a lot of plastic surgery that is now out in the open, and now females kind of look the same. They took away what made them unique because they wanted to look like everyone else. Well, they're getting there.

Old 11-09-2022, 08:14 PM

30,259 posts, read 23,746,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lillie767 View Post
The judges must be very proud that they selected the fattest, ugliest person there.

You can be inclusive and still be honest. Here are three real contenders.

Totally forgot about that movie. I fricken loved it.

Old 11-09-2022, 08:20 PM

50,316 posts, read 47,069,940 times
Look at the support for mental illness.

Old 11-10-2022, 02:34 AM

2,983 posts, read 1,167,603 times
Whatever happened to NOW and all the others feminist organizations??

Old 11-10-2022, 04:52 AM

26,660 posts, read 13,753,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RICANRICAN View Post
Whatever happened to NOW and all the others feminist organizations??
I don’t know but I do know organizations such as the Women’s March now support men dressing as women more than actual women.

Old 11-10-2022, 05:06 AM

4,908 posts, read 2,059,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissTerri View Post
This young man took scholarship money from the young women he is photographed with. How woke. How progressive.

https://thenationaldesk.com/news/ame...t-brian-nguyen
Well, the only time that this issue will be fixed is when biological females stand up and demand justice. Honestly, the parents of the biological girls in that pageant should have pulled their kids of that contest for “medical” reasons and not participate in any further pageants since it’s beyond obvious that it is rigged.

What’s next? I guess he is a shoe in for both the Homecoming Queen and the Senior Prom Queen.

All I know is that this is more proof that we’re now living in Clown World where everything is a sad joke.

Old 11-10-2022, 05:42 AM

21,382 posts, read 7,952,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TamaraSavannah View Post
I wonder if this is just a part of something bigger.

I mean, I thought the Feminists would have shut down L&O:SVU from the very start, but that's going into its 20th year.....a show, entertainment about sexual violence? That has always puzzled me to how it exists.....but there it is.

The other thing I wish my sisters would wise up to is not to alienate allies. Men have been told to shut up when it comes to reproduction rights because they don't have a horse in that race. So be it........but realize what you are doing for when you are asking for donations or for them to vote for someone, well you told them they didn't have a say.....so why should they?

Which may be another part of something bigger for it seems that a lot of people are only seeing one point and not realizing the bigger picture.
I've never understood the appeal of that show.

It's disgusting.

Old 11-10-2022, 06:09 AM

23,652 posts, read 14,003,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
Totally forgot about that movie. I fricken loved it.
Well, one of those things. One of my liberal friends posted about "Mrs. Doubtfire" (never seen it myself) saying if we think that flick is great, why are we getting upset about things now?

On that particular note, hard to say. I mean, what of the players in two Christopher Plummer flicks, Silent Partner or The Return of the Pink Panther?

Now consider our headline here......".....weighs twice as much as closest competitor".......well, in a beauty contest, what does that mean? As "Miss Congeniality" showed us, we are talking about a segment of the population that is rather known for starving themselves.
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtovenice View Post
I've never understood the appeal of that show.

It's disgusting.
Thank you! I was about to start up a thread about why is it (L&O:SVU) so popular, what was I not seeing in a show about sexual violence, but I guess I will just let that go for another pass since I am not the only one.

As far to our topic here.....was the Michigan Womyn's Music Festival so wrong?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michig...Music_Festival
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies