Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-25-2022, 03:47 PM

9,829 posts, read 7,262,857 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floorist View Post
If they make them illegal, they won't come after them, but if you are caught hunting with one or with one in your car, they would arrest you and charge you with a felony. That would scare some people into giving up their guns.
In Maryland, most semi autos are illegal, now they are coming after shotguns. Probably handguns next.
State by state gun control is mostly pointless, IMO. And local type policies. Particularly when you've got liberal Chicago literally right next to conservative, gun-supporting Indiana. How is Chicago ever going to control guns, with that situation?

It works well in other countries, because it's a national level policy. And it works particularly well in the UK and Japan, because they're small and are islands.

That's why state by state gun control in the US has only really been hugely effective in Hawaii, the one exception where the circumstances of entry there make it possible.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2022, 03:49 PM

23,652 posts, read 13,992,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by primaltech View Post
Agreed. I didn't say otherwise. As per the 2A, we do have a right to bear arms, clearly. That's also a general statement though, as that amendment is generally worded. The mental gymnastics is the trying to make it say things that it doesn't.

Should prisoners in a jail have the right to have guns? I mean, the constitution still applies to them, right? If we're going to be treating the 2A the way some would like it. I know the SCOTUS has ruled before that incarcerated people retain their rights.
There's that note about Due Process of Law.

Old 11-25-2022, 03:54 PM

50,288 posts, read 47,043,365 times
Quote:
State by state gun control is mostly pointless, IMO. And local type policies. Particularly when you've got liberal Chicago literally right next to conservative, gun-supporting Indiana. How is Chicago ever going to control guns, with that situation?

It works well in other countries, because it's a national level policy. And it works particularly well in the UK and Japan, because they're small and are islands.

That's why state by state gun control in the US has only really been hugely effective in Hawaii, the one exception where the circumstances of entry there make it possible.
Most islands don't have our problems.

Old 11-25-2022, 03:55 PM

50,288 posts, read 47,043,365 times
Quote:
Every single one of us knows more than the founding fathers. They lived in the 1700's...

George Washington never knew that dinosaurs existed. I assume you do, so, you know more than he did.
They didn't have computers but I bet most of them could school us on math.

Old 11-25-2022, 04:08 PM

29,486 posts, read 14,650,004 times
Quote:

The Indiana / Chicago thing cracks me up everytime i hear it. The firearms don't just board a bus and head down to Chi-town on their own. A multitude of Federal firearms laws are broken to get a firearm from a legitimate store to a thugs hands.

Guess that shows how well these laws work.

Old 11-25-2022, 04:11 PM

4,490 posts, read 3,930,229 times
Including rifles and an AR, I guess I own about 15 or so automatic weapons. Last time I checked, they haven't killed anyone. And yes, they are locked up.

Old 11-25-2022, 04:11 PM

27,141 posts, read 15,318,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andywire View Post
So I guess my 100 year old bolt action rifle is still ok by the OBiden administration's standards? Perhaps it's time to start investing in muskets again? Don't tell Brandon that some modern crossbows are now semiautomatic... And don't tell him that the first repeating/automatic crossbow maybe have first appeared over 2000 years ago... Kinda late to put that genie back in the bottle I must say...
Yes, but not your 100 year old semi auto.

Old 11-25-2022, 04:16 PM

4,904 posts, read 6,015,894 times
The people who will disproportionately feel the negative effects of Biden's proposal are going to be all the groups that democrats like to say they stand for. Guns are the great equalizer that gives a physically disadvantaged person the chance to survive being attacked by someone bigger and stronger than them. The criminals aren't going to give up their semi automatic weapons if this proposal is passed. What will happen is that criminals will target the physically disadvantaged and their victims won't have the tools to defend themselves. Banning semi automatic weapons is essentially causing death and violence against those that are physically weaker.

Old 11-25-2022, 04:19 PM

9,829 posts, read 7,262,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
They didn't have computers but I bet most of them could school us on math.
Those guys were smart, definitely. And obviously wise and all that. But they were also just regular flawed people just like in any other era, and we have the advantage of 250+ years of advancement.

Worshiping them like gods is ridiculous, and so is the idea that they could solve 21st century problems and issues that they would have even no concept of. Of course plenty of modern people "know more than" the founders, just like the founders knew more than medieval people.. I'm a big fan of John Locke, I'm a big fan of a constitutional republic and separation of powers and all that. All great ideas, and they've worked well. But the founders didn't think that they were making some kind of holy or perfect document. The first constitution failed, let's not forget, and then they kind of compromised together the one that went into effect. And then they amended that. The Bill of Rights was tacked on, 4 years later, including the precious 2A.

In fact they specifically made the constitution amendable. So it can be changed. But it was hard to do so, (arguably maybe a little bit harder than it should be), so historically it has rarely happened. But it has happened, and hypothetically could. The founders wanted that, because, you know, maybe they anticipated that things and circumstances and the world would change.

I think the 2A is fine to keep in there, but I don't agree with the fetishism of guns or the 2A. Or the way the right interprets its text as meaning that we can't have any type of regulations or restrictions with firearms for public safety. So all these very preventable mass shootings just keep piling up, hundreds of people shot every single day across the country with guns (including the suicide stats) and it's all pretty ridiculous and sad, to me.

Old 11-25-2022, 04:23 PM

23,652 posts, read 13,992,303 times
Quote:
Those guys were smart, definitely. And obviously wise and all that. But they were also just regular flawed people just like in any other era, and we have the advantage of 250+ years of advancement.

Worshiping them like gods is ridiculous, and so is the idea that they could solve 21st century problems and issues that they would have even no concept of. Of course plenty of modern people "know more than" the founders, just like the founders knew more than medieval people.. I'm a big fan of John Locke, I'm a big fan of a constitutional republic and separation of powers and all that. All great ideas, and they've worked well. But the founders didn't think that they were making some kind of holy or perfect document. The first constitution failed, let's not forget, and then they kind of compromised together the one that went into effect. And then they amended that. The Bill of Rights was tacked on, 4 years later, including the precious 2A.

In fact they specifically made the constitution amendable. So it can be changed. But it was hard to do so, (arguably maybe a little bit harder than it should be), so historically it has rarely happened. But it has happened, and hypothetically could. The founders wanted that, because, you know, maybe they anticipated that things and circumstances and the world would change.

I think the 2A is fine to keep in there, but I don't agree with the fetishism of guns or the 2A. Or the way the right interprets its text as meaning that we can't have any type of regulations or restrictions with firearms for public safety. So all these very preventable mass shootings just keep piling up, hundreds of people shot every single day across the country with guns (including the suicide stats) and it's all pretty ridiculous and sad, to me.
Well, as history has shown us, when the government are the only ones with the guns, then the shootings afterwards by them will make these incidents look like a picnic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies