Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2022, 01:15 PM

21,430 posts, read 7,464,101 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeminoleTom View Post
https://finance.yahoo.com/news/most-...150000193.html

"Mike Rowe warned Monday that the labor force participation rate is the most "chilling" economic metric, citing millions of "able-bodied men" who are not working or looking for jobs."

I honestly don't understand this. The argument down political lines usually goes something like this:

Red: They are getting money from the government. Covid relief is still ongoing, and people would prefer that over working. Its crippling the country.
Blue: Corporations are not paying people what they are entitled to and thus people aren't working for these deplorable places anymore.

The comments under the article are pretty much all over the place, with many loons. Reminding of a forum I know and love :-)

So which is true? maybe a mixture of both? I just have a hard time believing that people won't work and think they can make more from the government. Which I haven't seen. My brother can't work (medical). He gets $800 a month. Even in good times it doesn't let him live all too comfortably at all. Nor should he. He has a 1 bedroom apt in the a "low rent" help area. Has to work with community support often to get meals on wheels, recycled clothing, etc.

I don't know any able bodied/minded males that won't work. I'm sure they are out there though.

Thoughts?
Who is MIke Rowe, and where is he getting his statistics?

I mean, really, people are just commenting upon this statement and making all kinds of speculations as to why, but the only reference is to a 'Mike Rowe' fellow and what he said, not to study done or a database that I can tell.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2022, 01:17 PM

17,311 posts, read 12,263,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoBromhal View Post
the stats are fairly available through the BLS (Bureau of Labor Stats). Here's the November chart with demographics: https://www.bls.gov/web/empsit/cpseea13.htm

82.5% (edited) of men age 25-54 - the prime working age - are in the labor force. That's about as high as it's been.

Beyond that, it's easiest to find and cobble together annual figures by broad categories (like men v women "adult", but not broken down by age)
I mean single income vs dual income households post covid.

Old 12-06-2022, 01:19 PM

18,983 posts, read 9,082,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annandale_Man View Post
Being provided for is not "oppression".
I suppose you could say the same of slavery. When one isn't given the choice, it's oppression.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattja View Post
Listen, hon. If you want to really feel oppressed, pick up an M-16 and charge the enemy line.

Until you've done that, you have no idea what real oppression is.

Let's see what women like you have to say when you have full equality, including the equality of dying on the battlefield in the tens of thousands.

The fact women live longer than men is because their lives are generally easier.
Listen, hun, if you want to draft women go for it. I am not opposed to that. I actually think the time has come. But if men would stop starting wars men wouldn't be dying in them. Women have virtually no power on a global scale. We aren't starting the wars you are dying in.

Old 12-06-2022, 01:21 PM

25,116 posts, read 16,226,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohio_peasant View Post
Basically, this. A recent article in the Financial Times (behind a paywall, so I won't link it) considered the labor-force participation rate among different age groups... 20-25, 25-30 and so on. How did this participation rate evolve over recent years? It turns out that post-Covid, there was a big drop in the participation rate for the 50-65 contingent. Simply put, people are choosing to retire early. It isn't because 30-year-olds are lazy and alienated and devoting their precious time to video games... but because 50-year-olds are, ahem, spending more time on City Data.
actually, it's in the 60-65 group. LFPR drops from ~90% under 50, to 85% for 50-54, 80% for 55-59, down to 64% for 60-64

Old 12-06-2022, 01:21 PM

41,936 posts, read 36,989,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohio_peasant View Post
Basically, this. A recent article in the Financial Times (behind a paywall, so I won't link it) considered the labor-force participation rate among different age groups... 20-25, 25-30 and so on. How did this participation rate evolve over recent years? It turns out that post-Covid, there was a big drop in the participation rate for the 50-65 contingent. Simply put, people are choosing to retire early. It isn't because 30-year-olds are lazy and alienated and devoting their precious time to video games... but because 50-year-olds are, ahem, spending more time on City Data.
bingo

Old 12-06-2022, 01:25 PM

7,368 posts, read 3,829,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hesychios View Post

I mean, really, people are just commenting upon this statement and making all kinds of speculations as to why, but the only reference is to a 'Mike Rowe' fellow and what he said, not to study done.
Mike Rowe is most famous for the TV series Dirty Jobs.

He feels college is wasted on a large number of men who should be going into the trades. He's probably right.

I started watching him in 1995 when he was co-host of a San Francisco-based show called Evening Magazine. The best part of the show was his corny jokes that flew over the head of his co-host, Malou Nubla. She used to get this blank stare that was funnier than his stupid jokes.

Old 12-06-2022, 01:32 PM

29,509 posts, read 14,668,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hesychios View Post

I mean, really, people are just commenting upon this statement and making all kinds of speculations as to why, but the only reference is to a 'Mike Rowe' fellow and what he said, not to study done or a database that I can tell.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattja View Post
Mike Rowe is most famous for the TV series Dirty Jobs.

He feels college is wasted on a large number of men who should be going into the trades. He's probably right.

I started watching him in 1995 when he was co-host of a San Francisco-based show called Evening Magazine. The best part of the show was his corny jokes that flew over the head of his co-host, Malou Nubla. She used to get this blank stare that was funnier than his stupid jokes.
I've been a huge fan of his since the Dirty Jobs gig. He's a pretty intelligent person, that speaks with a lot of common sense, truth and logic.

https://mikerowe.com/about-mike/bio/

https://www.mikeroweworks.org/

Old 12-06-2022, 01:37 PM

36,539 posts, read 30,885,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annandale_Man View Post
Being provided for is not "oppression".
It is if you have no choice but to be "provided for". When you visit a zoo and see all the animals behind bars, in cages, being provided for, do you ever get the feeling they are oppressed. How about prisoners that are being provided for?
Anyway most women today work, earn and income so they are not being provided for, they are providing for themselves. Those that arent working a job outside the home are certainly providing a service.

Old 12-06-2022, 01:39 PM

7,368 posts, read 3,829,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAMS14 View Post
I suppose you could say the same of slavery. When one isn't given the choice, it's oppression.

Listen, hun, if you want to draft women go for it. I am not opposed to that. I actually think the time has come. But if men would stop starting wars men wouldn't be dying in them. Women have virtually no power on a global scale. We aren't starting the wars you are dying in.
There are numerous women in prime minister roles across the world. And wars are sometimes necessary. You cannot run and hide when your border or marine shipping lanes are under threat.

You know as well as I that women will never be drafted in any number into infantry roles. They are incapable of doing the job. Women are too slow, too weak and not aggressive enough.

You should be happy you're being "oppressed" in this case.

Old 12-06-2022, 01:39 PM

5,632 posts, read 1,770,332 times
What is a man today?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies