Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-11-2022, 02:27 PM

8,386 posts, read 4,372,592 times

Advertisements

Its a shame all people are not seen as equal so you have to make laws to protect some segments of the population.

Old 12-11-2022, 02:30 PM

37,195 posts, read 19,232,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FatBob96 View Post
Sure you can.

People do it all the time.

Much of our laws are based on religious dogma

Thou shalt not kill...

Thou shalt not steal....

Thou shalt not commit adultery....etc.

Now these have also become secular laws/values, but it's curious how people want to cherry pick the parts that they like or don't like based on their personal beliefs.

Personally I couldn't care less who people marry.

But I think that the anger against states potentially making laws against gay marriage is misplaced.

Government should have no say at all in marriage.....gay, straight or otherwise. But then again, I do believe in the concept of State's rights....so I'm admittedly a little conflicted on that part.

But the federal government forcing states to allow it is just reinforcing giving the government power to regulate something it's shouldn't have any business in.

You just agree it in this case because you agree with the way their trying to regulate it.
All of those come from the Old Testament, and tell you what you should not do. Jesus' coming negated the old laws when he began preaching. The Sermon on the Mount, which gives instructions as to what you should do, would be a far better and more valid piece of scripture to quote as regards human behavior.

As I stated previously, religion should be banned instead of gay marriage, and the beliefs of one religion should never be allowed to inform making laws that govern all regardless of the belief system they follow or don't follow. You might as well use the Brothers Grimm if you want to establish laws based on fairy tales. Lack of religion would make the need for laws dealing with what are currently called "protected classes" under the law unnecessary because there would be equal treatment for all people.

The Respect for Marriage Act is an attempt to protect "othered" people from discrimination by privileged classes.

Old 12-11-2022, 02:34 PM

7,375 posts, read 3,834,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cuebald View Post
What do you do with one-parent children? Should a surrogate be appointed at government expense to "fill the void", or should a single parent be required by law to remarry?

As I recall, Bill Clinton and Barack Obama were both raised by single mothers. They seem to have turned out okay without a father figure to "fill the void."
There's a not so subtle difference between a child losing a parent and purposely putting a child into the care of two homosexuals.

Old 12-11-2022, 03:21 PM

24,260 posts, read 14,217,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattja View Post
https://www.smh.com.au/opinion/child...17-1mn8ue.html

----------

Yeah, there's no difference.
Maybe she should talk to her father who she says was not a great guy and abandoned her.

Old 12-11-2022, 03:34 PM

24,260 posts, read 14,217,920 times
Quote:
There's a not so subtle difference between a child losing a parent and purposely putting a child into the care of two homosexuals.
She wasn't adopted, her father chose not to be in her life. He abandoned her and her mothers wife stepped up to help do his job.
Maybe she should advocate for making dead beat dads be involved in their childrens lives.

Old 12-11-2022, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Explain if to me like I was the child. Why would you intentionally keep me away from people who wanted to take me in, love me, and be my family?

Old 12-11-2022, 03:39 PM

13,429 posts, read 9,962,678 times
Quote:
https://www.smh.com.au/opinion/child...17-1mn8ue.html

----------

Yeah, there's no difference.
That's an opinion piece by Dan Flynn, Victorian Director, Australian Christian Lobby.

He's entitled to his opinion. And while there are going to be some people who regret growing up in a gay household, that doesn't translate to everyone's experience. But Dan there has a bit of skin in that particular game, given that at the time some Christian lobbyists would have been all in against the gay marriage movement in Australia.

People have grudges against all types of households they grow up in. As humans are wont to do, they perceive the grass is always greener.

Old 12-11-2022, 03:55 PM

1,884 posts, read 1,004,329 times
Quote:
Explain if to me like I was the child. Why would you intentionally keep me away from people who wanted to take me in, love me, and be my family?
They are gay, and gay is bad, and they are going to make you gay! Heterosexuality is fragile, and any gay sighting is likely to make you gay.

Old 12-11-2022, 04:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haksel257 View Post
They are gay, and gay is bad, and they are going to make you gay! Heterosexuality is fragile, and any gay sighting is likely to make you gay.
Is it contagious? Do we need to get vaccines or wear masks or something to keep from catching gay...?

Old 12-11-2022, 04:05 PM

14,267 posts, read 6,962,441 times
Quote:
Is it contagious? Do we need to get vaccines or wear masks or something to keep from catching gay...?
The people who think gay is contagious are probably the same people who don't believe in masks or vaccines.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies