Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-23-2022, 09:24 AM

17,501 posts, read 9,319,173 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rantiquity View Post
Politicians in either party don't get a hoot about inflation they are passing this bill loaded with 'Pork' thinking their voters won't notice higher inflation....
The list of Republicans who voted for this atrocity is available -

Here are the 18 Republicans who voted yes, according to the roll call vote:

Roy Blunt, Missouri
John Boozman, Arkansas
Shelley Moore Capito, West Virginia
Susan Collins, Maine
John Cornyn, Texas
Tom Cotton, Arkansas
Lindsey Graham, South Carolina
Jim Inhofe, Oklahoma
Mitch McConnell, Kentucky
Jerry Moran, Kansas
Lisa Murkowski, Alaska
Rob Portman, Ohio
Mitt Romney, Utah
Mike Rounds, South Dakota
Richard Shelby, Alabama
John Thune, South Dakota
Roger Wicker, Mississippi
Todd Young, Indiana

Three Republicans did not vote:

John Barasso, Wyoming
Richard Burr, North Carolina
Kevin Cramer, North Dakota

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
Yep except for the Republicans grandstanding who complain about pork or spending until they need it. Senators Cruz and Paul anyone?
Both Cruz and Paul voted NO.

The omnibus spending package contains 6,825 pages: 4,155 pages of legislative text plus 2,670 pages of explanatory materials to instruct agencies on how to carry out the provisions. It also includes at least 4,000 earmarks to pay for the pet projects of senators and representatives. Total cost is almost 2 Trillion dollars, it will exceed $2 Trillion eith the interest we will pay on this borrowed money.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2022, 09:46 AM

9,976 posts, read 4,726,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibby View Post

Roy Blunt, Missouri
John Boozman, Arkansas
Susan Collins, Maine
John Cornyn, Texas
Tom Cotton, Arkansas
Jim Inhofe, Oklahoma
Jerry Moran, Kansas
Lisa Murkowski, Alaska
Rob Portman, Ohio
Mitt Romney, Utah
Richard Shelby, Alabama
John Thune, South Dakota
Todd Young, Indiana

John Barasso, Wyoming

The omnibus spending package contains 6,825 pages: 4,155 pages of legislative text plus 2,670 pages of explanatory materials to instruct agencies on how to carry out the provisions. It also includes at least 4,000 earmarks to pay for the pet projects of senators and representatives. Total cost is almost 2 Trillion dollars, it will exceed $2 Trillion eith the interest we will pay on this borrowed money.
More information in that post than from much of the msm from multiple reporters and reports.

The usual suspect RINOs in play. Some are disappointed in Cotton but I haven't read too much flattering over the last month or two in particular anyway. And of course it will have to be passed to see what's in it.

Schumer makes for outstanding con man among others. Like a con man they create an emergency as to rush the mark into agreeing without thinking about it. He also throws in emotional hot button issues, threatens the mark even if implied with shame or guilt hence the everything in one big bill they dare not vote down. They even had an escape plan-the holiday break.

Last edited by anononcty; 12-23-2022 at 10:09 AM..

Old 12-24-2022, 09:20 AM

11,849 posts, read 6,193,941 times
This bill will take the National Debt to $34 trillion. We are racing toward $40T. It won't be long now.

Debt doesn't matter until it does. I pray that I am 6-feet under before it matters this time. The suffering from the next financial collapse will be epic. Bear in mind we have far more dependent people than in 1929, and are a much more violent nation, less moral and less religious. I pray that I am not around to see it or suffer through it.

Old 12-24-2022, 10:21 AM

29,694 posts, read 14,782,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Igor Blevin View Post
This bill will take the National Debt to $34 trillion. We are racing toward $40T. It won't be long now.

Debt doesn't matter until it does. I pray that I am 6-feet under before it matters this time. The suffering from the next financial collapse will be epic. Bear in mind we have far more dependent people than in 1929, and are a much more violent nation, less moral and less religious. I pray that I am not around to see it or suffer through it.
Stick a fork in us, we are done.

Old 12-24-2022, 05:52 PM

3,618 posts, read 3,065,388 times
Some of those guys - Cornyn, Thune, Cotton, Inhofe. I didn't think those guys were RINOs, but I guess this is proof positive they have gone full leftist. Interesting.

Old 12-24-2022, 06:16 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,975,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibby View Post

Roy Blunt, Missouri
John Boozman, Arkansas
Susan Collins, Maine
John Cornyn, Texas
Tom Cotton, Arkansas
Jim Inhofe, Oklahoma
Jerry Moran, Kansas
Lisa Murkowski, Alaska
Rob Portman, Ohio
Mitt Romney, Utah
Richard Shelby, Alabama
John Thune, South Dakota
Todd Young, Indiana

John Barasso, Wyoming

Paul and Cruz are grandstanders. Voting no proved that. The others aren't TINOs but preventing a government shutdown which they know from a Republican House will last a good while and will cause undue stress to government workers and government contract workers. I just wish we would stop kicking the can down the road with these bills and work on them way before the end of a Congressional year. Hell I wish that with state legislatures too (whether in red, blue or purple states.)

Old 12-24-2022, 07:05 PM

4,270 posts, read 2,488,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Igor Blevin View Post

The day of reckoning has been merely delayed, not averted. All the borrowed time we have been living on since at least 2008 will be paid back, in full, with interest, at loan shark rates. We made a deal with the Satan to delay the pain, so we could continue the debt fueled, euphoric consumer orgy for just a little while longer. Well, now Satan is coming to collect, and he wants our very souls.

Old 12-25-2022, 07:59 AM

12,595 posts, read 6,674,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fedupwiththis View Post
Did we not just spend the last 18 months raising interest rates at the fastest pace in history to fight inflation, and now we're going to print more money out of thin air which will only further raise inflation.

Does anyone else feel like politicians on both sides are no longer doing what's best for the American people and instead just lining their own pockets?
This was so irresponsible (7500 added earmarks, the most in history...laden with pork) and contradictory to what our Congresspeople are supposed to do for the citizens.
It was 4700 pages long...no way any of them read what they voted for in 60 hours, at the holiday.
Anyone that voted for this should be ejected from Congress...they are terrible.

Old 12-25-2022, 08:45 AM

38,936 posts, read 23,975,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taggerung View Post
The day of reckoning has been merely delayed, not averted. All the borrowed time we have been living on since at least 2008 will be paid back, in full, with interest, at loan shark rates. We made a deal with the Satan to delay the pain, so we could continue the debt fueled, euphoric consumer orgy for just a little while longer. Well, now Satan is coming to collect, and he wants our very souls.
How do you sleep with yourself at night after typing that? That sounds evil. The biggest problem I see is what else should we have done in 2008 or again in 2020? Honestly we had little to no choice other than to take action that we did. The issue is no country really wants to call another on debt. Why, because they know they'd be next.

Old 12-25-2022, 09:12 AM

9,976 posts, read 4,726,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GldnRule View Post
This was so irresponsible (7500 added earmarks, the most in history...laden with pork) and contradictory to what our Congresspeople are supposed to do for the citizens.
It was 4700 pages long...no way any of them read what they voted for in 60 hours, at the holiday.
Anyone that voted for this should be ejected from Congress...they are terrible.
Like any good criminal they plan the escape-the approaching holidays, their excuse to leave town.

It's not just pork that was slipped in there's low density housing and anti gun stuff in there as well.

All those issues, projects and handouts should've been debated on the house/senate floor and not in some smoke filled backroom. If gives them an excuse or relieves them of true accountability because they can rationalize like a two bit junky-They had to vote for the whole thing to get a fraction of the good stuff. But many also 'voted' contrary to stated belief and opinion. In their minds they can't even be called a liar.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies