Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2023, 04:23 PM

1,929 posts, read 559,472 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CA4Now View Post
That good guy who wrestled with the bad one for 90 seconds in the Monterey Park shootings didn't even have a gun.

https://time.com/6249944/monterey-pa...-brandon-tsay/
He was lucky. It is not a good idea to start a wrestling match against someone with a gun. 20 other people were not so lucky.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2023, 04:28 PM

23,652 posts, read 14,008,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stepnking View Post
He was lucky. It is not a good idea to start a wrestling match against someone with a gun. 20 other people were not so lucky.
But if that's all you've got, what are you going to do?

Are others like me, drilled in the head to be devastating at point blank range when you are unarmed? Well, at least 2 of us are.

Old 01-27-2023, 06:15 PM

8,344 posts, read 6,436,914 times
Now Calif. Democrats are bringing you you have to buy liability insurance for each gun you own. I'm retired, my friend that I went shooting with died. I have a bunch of guns but they just sit locked up. I may never do anything with them anymore. I'd sure hate having to buy insurance for guns I don't use.

Old 01-27-2023, 06:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TamaraSavannah View Post
But if that's all you've got, what are you going to do?

Are others like me, drilled in the head to be devastating at point blank range when you are unarmed? Well, at least 2 of us are.
Well, I was referring to a one on one.
Options are minimal when you are unarmed facing a random shooter, but there are options. The problem is getting everyone on the same page. Whether there are five, ten, twenty or more at a gathering, you outnumber the gunman. If some would rush the shooter rather than run away, there may be less casualties, especially if people are coming from all different directions. He can't shoot everyone, hopefully not as many as would be if allowed to continue shooting unchallenged. Pick up something and throw it, be it a chair, a salt/pepper shaker, a purse, a lamp, a shoe, anything that will act as a distraction so others can get to him.

But then, everyone (or most) would have to have this mindset for it to be effective. Do they, will they....questionable. If I am going to get shot, I would rather do it fighting back than be a fish in a barrel. This likely would not be the advice from the local police dept., but they are not on scene.

Of course if there were a good guy with a gun, all the above could be avoided and I imagine you would be glad to see him.

Old 01-27-2023, 06:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by V8 Vega View Post
Now Calif. Democrats are bringing you you have to buy liability insurance for each gun you own. I'm retired, my friend that I went shooting with died. I have a bunch of guns but they just sit locked up. I may never do anything with them anymore. I'd sure hate having to buy insurance for guns I don't use.
Long story short of it, they will claim they are not infringing on your right to have guns......but they will do what they can to make it extremely "difficult" to exercise it.

What would people say if they had to buy liability insurance on the right to vote, that if the person one voted for turned out to be someone who caused the country great expense then the voters for that person would have to pay.

I mean, charge for one right, charge for them all.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stepnking View Post
Well, I was referring to a one on one.
Options are minimal when you are unarmed facing a random shooter, but there are options. The problem is getting everyone on the same page. Whether there are five, ten, twenty or more at a gathering, you outnumber the gunman. If some would rush the shooter rather than run away, there may be less casualties, especially if people are coming from all different directions. He can't shoot everyone, hopefully not as many as would be if allowed to continue shooting unchallenged. Pick up something and throw it, be it a chair, a salt/pepper shaker, a purse, a lamp, a shoe, anything that will act as a distraction so others can get to him.

But then, everyone (or most) would have to have this mindset for it to be effective. Do they, will they....questionable. If I am going to get shot, I would rather do it fighting back than be a fish in a barrel. This likely would not be the advice from the local police dept., but they are not on scene.

Of course if there were a good guy with a gun, all the above could be avoided and I imagine you would be glad to see him.
Well as my Father would say......."What? You think you are going to live forever?"

Old 01-27-2023, 10:17 PM

6,749 posts, read 6,740,737 times
Newsolini is quick to lose his temper about guns, but Al Gore is about to lose his over the environmental damage caused by Gavin's hair gel.

Old 01-28-2023, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TamaraSavannah View Post
Well as my Father would say......."What? You think you are going to live forever?"
True enough, but one's actions can prevent lives of others being cut short.

Old 01-28-2023, 03:41 PM

2,286 posts, read 1,586,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMSRetired View Post
Always the same....they think if they take away the guns that the killings will stop.
With guns being illegal there's no chance any criminal would dream of using a knife or machete.

His thinking is next-level.

Old 01-28-2023, 10:58 PM

30,902 posts, read 33,021,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by frankrj View Post
With guns being illegal there's no chance any criminal would dream of using a knife or machete.

His thinking is next-level.
I need to see some dude take out 15 people in one minute with a machete. Now that would be some next level stuff. Very Donkey Kong.

But aside from such almost supernaturally astounding events, it is incredibly unlikely that machete murders could come anywhere near to the total carnage of guns.

Old 01-29-2023, 04:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerZ View Post
I need to see some dude take out 15 people in one minute with a machete. Now that would be some next level stuff. Very Donkey Kong.

But aside from such almost supernaturally astounding events, it is incredibly unlikely that machete murders could come anywhere near to the total carnage of guns.
No.......but for that one unarmed person at the business end of that machete, it sure will suck. Further, the numbers might work out because for all those individuals who go on shooting sprees, how many more by a factor of a 100? a 1000? are out there hurting and killing other people?

As far as having a lesser concern for ax murderers because they aren't using guns, we-ll.......
https://www.politico.com/magazine/st...cident-215605/

Last edited by TamaraSavannah; 01-29-2023 at 04:46 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies