Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-01-2023, 03:51 PM

7,270 posts, read 4,238,904 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icy Tea View Post
In SE Pa we had the month of August go by with no 90 degree days. Now September will start off in the low 90s.
So where are these record high temps coming from? Why from the daily LOW temperatures recorded in urban areas. Asphalt acts as a heat well which traps heat and then radiates it after dark. If the temp stays up that way they say its a record heat wave. Fake science.
Apart from actual record heat in the southwest, the rest of the country actually was cooler than normal by half a degree this summer. My area it was 2.5 degrees cooler. Still a nice summer even if it never hit 100 degrees. We had several mid 90 degree days in July and a few in early June and even May.

they changed it from "global warming" to "climate change" to fix this...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2023, 04:08 PM

13,845 posts, read 5,048,804 times
Quote:
In SE Pa we had the month of August go by with no 90 degree days. Now September will start off in the low 90s.
So where are these record high temps coming from? Why from the daily LOW temperatures recorded in urban areas. Asphalt acts as a heat well which traps heat and then radiates it after dark. If the temp stays up that way they say its a record heat wave. Fake science.
Apart from actual record heat in the southwest, the rest of the country actually was cooler than normal by half a degree this summer. My area it was 2.5 degrees cooler. Still a nice summer even if it never hit 100 degrees. We had several mid 90 degree days in July and a few in early June and even May.
Again, you’re talking about weather, not climate. You could have a cool summer. You could have record heat in October. You could have a record cold spell in the winter. That’s not climate.

Old 09-01-2023, 04:10 PM

14,848 posts, read 8,248,232 times
Quote:
So where are these record high temps coming from? Why from the daily LOW temperatures recorded in urban areas. Asphalt acts as a heat well which traps heat and then radiates it after dark.
Not only does it store the energy, it also absorbs more energy. Grass reflects 25% of sunlight, Fresh Asphalt only reflects 4%.

From this article...

"It was estimated that making roofs and pavements around the world more reflective could offset 44 billion tons of CO2 emissions... Cool roofs could offset the emissions of roughly 300 million cars for 20 years."

Old 09-01-2023, 04:51 PM

18,743 posts, read 8,475,424 times
Quote:
"Summer minimum (nighttime) temperatures have warmed nearly twice as fast as summer maximum (daytime) temperatures."

"Since 1970, average summer nights have warmed across the contiguous U.S. by 2.5°F."

"In 40% of 246 U.S. locations analyzed by Climate Central, average summer nights have warmed by at least 3°F since 1970"

https://www.climatecentral.org/clima...er-nights-2022

===========

"A review of research studies and data found that in the United States, the heat island effect results in daytime temperatures in urban areas about 1–7°F higher than temperatures in outlying areas and nighttime temperatures about 2–5°F higher."

https://www.epa.gov/heatislands/lear...2%B0F%20higher.

Old 09-01-2023, 05:10 PM

57,404 posts, read 26,413,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by illtaketwoplease View Post
As always - this is the response from people who are too lazy to do their own research and reach their own conclusions. They take "fact-checking" by anyone as gospel - and accept it 100% because it fits their views. The only counter in that link is to another group that is promoting the climate emergency. Shoot the messenger. There are more knowledgeable people on the "no emergency" declaration than the "world is going to end" one, and most don't receive govt. funding to support their paychecks.

Of course fossil fuel companies are going to support independent research and scientific facts showing their is no climate emergency. Just like those promoting climate emergency are taking money from those who will benefit from the trillions required to "save the planet" based on some fuzzy stated outcome that may or may not be correct or reached.

I doubt you will do any real research because it requires time. If you did you would likely reach the same conclusion as those 1200 did. And they are only the ones signing - there are thousands of others who feel the same way but are getting censored, and thousands more who don't dare come forward because they don't want to lose their paycheck.
How do you "perform your own research", did the 1600 signatories in your thread do their own research?
I rely on scientific organizations for information, not bloggers or people with an agenda. I read the research performed by NASA, NOAA, the IPCC and the great research from universities, where do you get your research or do you just google around until you find some paper that confirms your denial.

Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post
can you cite that
https://www.livescience.com/planet-e...global-warming

https://thebulletin.org/2020/02/eart...ricane-sandys/

Old 09-01-2023, 05:11 PM

11,126 posts, read 6,061,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrie22 View Post
"Summer minimum (nighttime) temperatures have warmed nearly twice as fast as summer maximum (daytime) temperatures."

"Since 1970, average summer nights have warmed across the contiguous U.S. by 2.5°F."

"In 40% of 246 U.S. locations analyzed by Climate Central, average summer nights have warmed by at least 3°F since 1970"

https://www.climatecentral.org/clima...er-nights-2022

===========

"A review of research studies and data found that in the United States, the heat island effect results in daytime temperatures in urban areas about 1–7°F higher than temperatures in outlying areas and nighttime temperatures about 2–5°F higher."

https://www.epa.gov/heatislands/lear...2%B0F%20higher.
And where are all the weather stations located?

I watched a documentary on giraffes getting tangled with ground weather stations in the African bush. What these guys do is go out to these remote places to calibrate the satellite ground measuring sensors for ground conditions. That's to allow for varying vegetation conditions. These same satellites can measure the overall ground temperatures to the nearest tenth of a degree.

I have a forehead infrared thermometer. It consistently reads a degree low. It's to do with the emissivity of my skin. To get a laboratory accurate temperature reading, one first needs to determine the emissivity to the n'th degree. Not possible when one is looking at the entire surface of the earth from space.

Old 09-01-2023, 08:36 PM

57,404 posts, read 26,413,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 303Guy View Post
And where are all the weather stations located?

I watched a documentary on giraffes getting tangled with ground weather stations in the African bush. What these guys do is go out to these remote places to calibrate the satellite ground measuring sensors for ground conditions. That's to allow for varying vegetation conditions. These same satellites can measure the overall ground temperatures to the nearest tenth of a degree.

I have a forehead infrared thermometer. It consistently reads a degree low. It's to do with the emissivity of my skin. To get a laboratory accurate temperature reading, one first needs to determine the emissivity to the n'th degree. Not possible when one is looking at the entire surface of the earth from space.
You are arguing that the temperature sensors are wrong after this year, really.

Old 09-01-2023, 11:17 PM

15,141 posts, read 8,706,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo58 View Post
False. Any chemist can tell you (obviously you are not a chemist) that CO2 can absorb and re-emit infrared spectrum of light. It how glass works in a greenhouse. UV light penetrates the glass (and the atmosphere) but then is reflected back at a longer wavelength (IR). The IR doesn't bounce back into space if it is trapped by CO2.

What is your basis for saying this is not true?
Physics. That’s the basis. The CO2 molecule retains heat for .0001 seconds. Therefore it cannot “refract” what it cannot retain.

Physicist: CO2 Retains Heat For Only 0.0001 Seconds, Warming ‘Not Possible’

https://climatechangedispatch.com/ph...eat-retention/

https://iowaclimate.org/2019/10/17/p...-not-possible/

Then we have the problem with the “greenhouse” theory itself:

https://thehill.com/opinion/energy-e...to-warm-earth/

Its a scam dude. Why do you insist on promoting a scam ?

Old 09-01-2023, 11:44 PM

11,126 posts, read 6,061,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
You are arguing that the temperature sensors are wrong after this year, really.
Well they must be. We are way cooler than the alarmists wish us to believe. Also, back in the summer of 1935, it was warmer on average than this past summer.

You yourself said, its weather, not climate. If you look across the globe you will see that when the northern hemisphere has extraordinarily hot weather, the southern hemisphere as cooler weather. That's what happened in 1935. Also in 1865 and again in 1885. Check out the weather records for that period.

But as for satellites, the infrared thermometry is only as good as the ground emissivity compensation factors are. And remember this weather chart? Look closely at the dates and the temperatures. See the deceit?

Old 09-02-2023, 01:00 AM

26,146 posts, read 13,136,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
It's not based on the "libs", it's based on science. You are quoting your opinion, not scientific research.

The usual excuses, short period of time, what about China, humans are a small percentage. But thanks for leaving out the favorite of the deniers, "the world was warmer before, it will be warm again".

Yes, it's my opinion that there is an inadequate sample size, & there's no concensus in the scientific community on man made climate change. When there's concensus, I'll change my opinion, & remove all my ceiling fans.

Also, it's my opinion is that those who believe in the climate hoax have; HVAC systems, cars, fly on commercial jets, buy Chinese stuff, use plastics, eat meat, own ceiling fans, ect.. They have the same carbon footprints as those who think man-made climate change is malarkey...like me.

Why that? Why can't they lead by example? If they are right, then why are they knowingly killing Mother Earth.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies