Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2023, 06:42 AM

9,868 posts, read 11,277,601 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post
The planet is so complex. We live on a relatively thin outer crust but somehow us putting CO2 into the air is affecting the global temps. Does anyone ever stop to think just how arrogant and ridiculous that sounds?

Herein lies the crux of the matter. People who are not qualified to make a decision, assume others are not able to grasp how the earth holds its temperature. Simply put, the earth's temperature depends on the balance between energy entering (greenhouse gas holds in the energy) and leaving the planet's system (snow and ice reflect the energy). Just because 'PullMyFinger' (which is related to another greenhouse gas: Methane) cannot comprehend how scientists can model the impact, doesn't mean it isn't true.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2023, 08:20 AM

7,270 posts, read 4,238,904 times
Quote:
Herein lies the crux of the matter. People who are not qualified to make a decision, assume others are not able to grasp how the earth holds its temperature.

I don't think that's it. Likely more that some look at things differently than others. Linear vs non-linear thinking. Short-term vs. long-term data. Some people are just more curious and dig deeper for answers than others.

Really have to ask yourself: if all of the assumptions made by the climate alarmists are correct - why do they censor differing opinions and why do people promoting it buy ocean front property and fly around in private jets, etc? That is part of the data set. 40 years ago these same people were telling us we would be a frozen block of ice.

"Lies, damn lies, govt. data and statistics."

Old 09-04-2023, 09:05 AM

39,946 posts, read 26,656,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MN-Born-n-Raised View Post
You missed several hundred ^^.

Disclaimer: I signed the 'World Climate Declaration' too. I have a PhD in Advanced Basket Weaving Algorithms with a focus on Bamboo Material Science. More importantly, I stayed in a Holiday Inn Express last night!

In all seriousness, there are HUNDREDS of people who simply have an opinion. Most have never studied the topic. Because that isn't their discipline (or even close).

Like:

Dick Leppky, Retired businessman and Independent Truth Seeker (I didn't make that up about this Dick.. He is listed as #67).

Darren Speirs, Independent Business Owner, Rangeland NRM Consultants

Terrence Vincent, Security Engineer, Small Business Adviser

Hans Dirk Struve, Dipl. Ing., Mechanical Engineer with 'large experience in business'

Dr. Volkmar Hierner, degree in business administration and economy, retired coach of
companies in increasing the effectiveness of their organization

Peter Locht, Senior Lecturer, Business Academy Aarhus

Simo Mykkanen, Ba Econ, small business owner, retired

Guy Barbey, Alumnus of Harvard Business School, Retired Investment Banker,
Founder and President of ‘Climate et Vérité’

Owen O’Brien, Business Founder and Entrepreneur, MBA, DBA

David Knox, IT professional, bachelors in business (Uni of South Australia) and a
Masters degree in business administration (Charles Sturt University) (But he

Hugh H. Laird, Retired Tropical Agriculture Executive

Ian Longley, Geologist, BSc (Hons) Petroleum Geologist, Fellow of the Geological
Society

__________________________________________________ _________________________

I could go on, and on, and on, and on, and on! If you want more, just ask! lol What a F'n joke!
Just curious, are you talking about the 1700 "scientists" that signed the letter a few years ago promoting a climate change agenda? The one always quoting "97% of "scientists" (even though most weren't) agree that driving cars is causing the end of the world? That the left uses as their basis when they stomp their little feet and scream "the science is settled"?

Or are those "scientists" that aren't scientists somehow different?

Old 09-04-2023, 11:41 AM

9,868 posts, read 11,277,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
Just curious, are you talking about the 1700 "scientists" that signed the letter a few years ago promoting a climate change agenda? The one always quoting "97% of "scientists" (even though most weren't) agree that driving cars is causing the end of the world? That the left uses as their basis when they stomp their little feet and scream "the science is settled"?

Or are those "scientists" that aren't scientists somehow different?
If 3/4 of the 1700 'scientists' said climate change was real and had POS-related résumés, I would equally call them out.

Big picture. Greenhouses factually impact the climate. Only a technical dimwit would suggest otherwise. The ONLY remaining debate is the magnitude of change needed to impact the temperatures.

Personally, I'd love to watch a debate between Dr. Roy Spencer and Dr. James Hansen. If I'm a betting man, the truth is somewhere in the middle of these two camps. And, I'm very sure each expert has holes in their arguments. But for whatever reason, too many people firmly believe whatever their political belief system tells them to. i.e., they lack critical thinking skills. It's why we are in a world of hurt. Plenty of sheep on both sides of the political aisle.

Old 09-04-2023, 12:00 PM

6,017 posts, read 2,823,849 times
This Climate EMERGENCY thing is gettin' bad.

The drought has ended in the desert SW. I remember about 2 years ago that the reason we had a drought was because of The Climate Change. Why won't the Climate just remain static forever and ever and ever??? LOL

And now THE Climate Change has ended that Climate Change Drought.

It's bad! Very bad!
/s

Old 09-04-2023, 12:02 PM

6,017 posts, read 2,823,849 times
Today we have Climate Change sunny skies, slight breeze and about 73 degrees.

Tomorrow the Climate Change conditions will be about the same.

LOL

Old 09-04-2023, 12:09 PM

18,743 posts, read 8,475,424 times
first off it's been 2 degrees F in 170 years....

second and most important....China is building new coal plants as fast as they can

31 Aug 2023
"A report from two energy research groups on Tuesday found China has over 300 more coal power plants in the works, issuing permits for another 52 gigawatts of coal power in just the first half of 2023 alone.
Al Jazeera News noted that China, the world’s worst polluter by a wide margin, produces more emissions than the U.S., the European Union, and India combined"

https://energyandcleanair.org/public...the-bandwagon/

so here's your choices....

1. China does not believe this global warming crap
2. China is suicidal
3. The whole thing is a scam

...I go with 3

Old 09-04-2023, 02:32 PM

7,270 posts, read 4,238,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrie22 View Post
first off it's been 2 degrees F in 170 years....

second and most important....China is building new coal plants as fast as they can

31 Aug 2023
"A report from two energy research groups on Tuesday found China has over 300 more coal power plants in the works, issuing permits for another 52 gigawatts of coal power in just the first half of 2023 alone.
Al Jazeera News noted that China, the world’s worst polluter by a wide margin, produces more emissions than the U.S., the European Union, and India combined"

https://energyandcleanair.org/public...the-bandwagon/

so here's your choices....

1. China does not believe this global warming crap
2. China is suicidal
3. The whole thing is a scam

...I go with 3

Some people think that, if you take a 20,000 foot view of what is going on, that the WEF and new world order folks have a grand plan to use the climate emergency narrative to restrict our freedoms and movements, alter the global economic systems and take control of everything. The first step is to use Ukraine to go after fossil fuel rich Russia.. and then move onto take coal burning and polluting China. If you control global energy, food, money (CBDC), communications, natural resources, elections, etc... then you really can have a one world government like they have stated they have wanted for decades. They are not shy about it. Trump got in their way and they schemed and planned for his ouster... and the day Biden took office all of the "Build Back Better" signs showed up globally when leaders spoke. All pre-planned. Then Bill Gates holds a pandemic exercise and weeks later a pandemic outbreak occurs. Something is afoot. Is everything related like some people think?

You will own nothing and be happy.

Old 09-04-2023, 04:24 PM

31,339 posts, read 14,398,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MN-Born-n-Raised View Post
If 3/4 of the 1700 'scientists' said climate change was real and had POS-related résumés, I would equally call them out.

Big picture. Greenhouses factually impact the climate. Only a technical dimwit would suggest otherwise. The ONLY remaining debate is the magnitude of change needed to impact the temperatures.

Personally, I'd love to watch a debate between Dr. Roy Spencer and Dr. James Hansen. If I'm a betting man, the truth is somewhere in the middle of these two camps. And, I'm very sure each expert has holes in their arguments. But for whatever reason, too many people firmly believe whatever their political belief system tells them to. i.e., they lack critical thinking skills. It's why we are in a world of hurt. Plenty of sheep on both sides of the political aisle.
You have NO IDEA if greenhouse gasses impact the climate. ZERO. The temps could be getting warmer because the sun is emitting more heat. How would we ever know? The only thing that the left is sure of is that our freedoms will be taken away in order to supposedly control the weather, and if the majority of the planet is dumb enough to fall for it, God help us.

Post 169 right above mine, nailed it.

Old 09-04-2023, 05:10 PM

11,126 posts, read 6,061,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeisureSLarry View Post
We need to be able to manage our environment regardless of whether the cause is natural or man made as both can result in the same outcome. I take issue with this rush to force things that do not make sense like commercial solar and the implications it has on the environment. This green push is radicalized to the point of doing things that will cause more harm than good just to do it.
This is how I see it too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies