Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2023, 04:02 PM

7,272 posts, read 4,221,768 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by roodd279 View Post
I don't know why it has to be so binary on the attitudes. It only became contentious when one party got associated with one point of view. Be that as it may (or may not) - why not first agree on common ground?

1. Is the climate changing in measurable ways? Of course it is - always has, always will.
2. Is less pollution / man-made garbage on the ground, in the water, and in the air, BETTER overall, or WORSE? Most would say that less is better, no?
3. Political agendas exist. That's all. They do exist. It means - it's hard to trust anyone or their motives, either side.

Some more subtle - still true - points:

1. The UN recommendations for ALL nations are NOT NECESSARILY the best for THIS nation (USA);

2. Cost of damages from storms is nearly irrelevant as a measuring tool, as more people live in stormy areas than ever before;
3. Using ancient data - say 200M or 300M years ago or more - is useless - since the continents have moved.

What we disagree on:

1. The RATE of change is Either Natural - or - It Is Not. By "natural" I mean - would have happened if humans never evolved.

2. The exact percent of the CHANGE IN RATE caused by man (if you agree with #1) is not defined. It's not - we can agree on that - unless someone has a link. Not a guess, a range, or an estimate. An exact agreed upon amount.

So - pretty clearly, since we cannot agree on #1 - we will never agree on #2.

We can also agree on THIS - but we won't:

The consequences of a thing are meaningless. Oh, it's painful or expensive or damaging or whatever to x number of species - but that is not evidence that man caused it or can fix it. It's just a consequence of the change - that we can all agree is happening. So no point in using ocean rise, dead polar bears, poor crops, etc. - to prove anything, since those things will happen regardless of who or what is responsible. Those things (consequences) are used as a carrot-and-stick type of thing to force change - change to offset point #1 - upon which we cannot agree.

But we can ALL agree to pollute less. Why is that bad?

It's not bad when we all AGREE to it - but if you force me to do it, I did not agree - ya see the difference?

I agree with most everything you said except using data dating back millions of years is useless. Point taken about shifting continents.

I am old enough to remember the last big govt. push for reducing pollution - introduction of recycling, bringing bottles and cans back to the store for $, driving less, turn heat down, etc. Then somehow, and it seemed to happen overnight - there was a push to buy big trucks and SUV's and the govt was giving tax breaks to encourage you to do it. Everything we are witnessing now is pure politics while still noting that the climate is changing. There are also points in history where, when too much CO2 was removed from our atmosphere - the earth became a big snowball choking out many forms of life.

As someone who gives some conspiracy theories credence - you can't help but notice that most of the democrats live in coastal states, while conservatives tend to live inland. Those coastal states are going to face rising sea levels and weather events and people are going to eventually move inland. Can't wait to see what happens with that given the way dems have treated conservatives.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2023, 04:20 PM

just saw this...

Quote:
A climate scientist has admitted that he pushed a “preapproved” narrative on climate change in order to get papers published in leading journals.
Patrick T. Brown told The Free Press “I knew not to try to quantify key aspects other than climate change in my research because it would dilute the story that prestigious journals like Nature and its rival, Science, want to tell.”
He continued, “editors of these journals have made it abundantly clear, both by what they publish and what they reject, that they want climate papers that support certain preapproved narratives—even when those narratives come at the expense of broader knowledge for society.”

Old 09-06-2023, 04:51 PM

18,505 posts, read 9,181,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrie22 View Post
why are you guys still arguing about this?....

...in the meantime .....China is building new coal plants as fast as they can

you all might as well be pizzing in the wind

there is absolutely nothing we can do....to lower CO2....as fast as China is raising it

That is true, unfortunately. Hopefully I'll be gone before civilization collapses.

Old 09-06-2023, 05:08 PM

18,496 posts, read 8,318,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freak80 View Post
That is true, unfortunately. Hopefully I'll be gone before civilization collapses.
why would civilization collapse?

temperatures have increased 2 degrees F in 170 years....
...sea level rise has been consistent for those past 170 years....it's ~1 inch a decade...less than 1 ft in 100years

has anyone noticed it's 2 degrees warmer?....has anyone noticed the ocean is about a foot higher?

nope, no one.... 50 years ago they told us we were all going to die if CO2 levels got above 350ppm

....it's ~400ppm now.....no one noticed

Old 09-07-2023, 06:51 AM

https://www.businessinsider.com/nasa...-change-2012-4

Old 09-07-2023, 07:08 AM

59,216 posts, read 27,403,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by illtaketwoplease View Post
I agree with most everything you said except using data dating back millions of years is useless. Point taken about shifting continents.

I am old enough to remember the last big govt. push for reducing pollution - introduction of recycling, bringing bottles and cans back to the store for $, driving less, turn heat down, etc. Then somehow, and it seemed to happen overnight - there was a push to buy big trucks and SUV's and the govt was giving tax breaks to encourage you to do it. Everything we are witnessing now is pure politics while still noting that the climate is changing. There are also points in history where, when too much CO2 was removed from our atmosphere - the earth became a big snowball choking out many forms of life.

As someone who gives some conspiracy theories credence - you can't help but notice that most of the democrats live in coastal states, while conservatives tend to live inland. Those coastal states are going to face rising sea levels and weather events and people are going to eventually move inland. Can't wait to see what happens with that given the way dems have treated conservatives.
"I am old enough to remember the last big govt. push for reducing pollution"

Do you remember "plastic not paper" becuae cutting down the trees was not good for the "environment'?

The left loonies just couldn't get around trees are replaceable, and new trees planted when old ones were cut down.

Look at what plastic has cost us.

The same loonies are now protesting plastic.

"and weather event"

UH, who gets the biggest tornados?

Dorothy would not agree with ypu.

Old 09-07-2023, 07:09 AM

3,027 posts, read 2,247,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by illtaketwoplease View Post
That article is from 2012.

Old 09-07-2023, 07:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
Believe you source, if you want.

" Business Insider – Bias and Credibility"

LEFT-CENTER BIAS

https://mediabiasfactcheck.com/business-insider/

So even a left-center bias publication was reporting that (former) NASA scientists questioned the C02 narrative over a decade ago.

Old 09-07-2023, 08:12 AM

18,496 posts, read 8,318,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
Look at what plastic has cost us.
one of my favorite fun facts....

which city banned plastic bags....and plastic straws

...and gives out over 5 million plastic syringes every year
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies