Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-17-2009, 07:45 PM

35,016 posts, read 39,145,685 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icy Tea View Post
I look at Hummers and wonder why people need them when a real truck would do. But these are mostly upscale suburbanites that wouldn't need a truck anyway.
But the most laughable folks are the urbanites who need the Cadillac Escalade as a status symbol. To each their own. I see people driving around in put put smart cars and laugh at them, these people are only out to make a statement as well.
I agree about "my car is me", but I dont know what make/model doesnt make some kind of political statement, to somebody. Some are more overt than others I guess.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2009, 07:55 PM

9,888 posts, read 10,820,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevK View Post
It looks like common sense is starting to win over at GM. The symbol of the worst of American piggery is about to die! Could not happen soon enough. Hopefully the other monster SUVs will follow.

Green Car Congress: GM Cancels the HUMMER H1
Hey kevk , you are a little slow on the uptake there pal, Gm announced this about 2 years ago. As I said then The H1 is a great rig and I would rather my family be safe and sound in one them than some little death trap eco-mobile anyday! The good news is, here is the new rig for those of us who are concerned for our families saftey and comfort.http://www.monroetruck.com/GM/pdf/BusinessFleet.pdf

Old 04-17-2009, 08:19 PM

3,210 posts, read 4,612,167 times
I don't feel any particular anger over people owning Hummers. I think it's less about the car and more about the types of people who drive them (Sexually fustrated, white collar, ignorant, "God Bless Muerikka", uber-macho-wannabe douchebags) which give them a bad name.

Old 04-17-2009, 08:57 PM

3,105 posts, read 3,289,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXboomerang View Post
Why the Escalade? How is that different from a: Suburban, Tahoe, Denali, Armada, Pathfinder, Pilot, Sequoia, Expedition, Excursion, etc, etc.??

And while we are at it, why is everybody so pissed about Hummers, but don't seem to have any problem with Toyota's environmentally irresponsible FJ Cruiser, not to mention their atrocious MPG ratings on full size pick-ups and SUVs?

Its because the envirowhackos pinned the Hummer as the symbol of selective outrage and since Toyota came out with a Prius they were let off the hook.

IO would throw in those who trick out their civics and ricer's and go around racing all the time. They may get decent MPG but if your flooring it all the time, your not using less gas.

Old 04-17-2009, 08:58 PM

84 posts, read 123,594 times
Quote:
It looks like common sense is starting to win over at GM. The symbol of the worst of American piggery is about to die! Could not happen soon enough. Hopefully the other monster SUVs will follow.

Whoa, now. Calm down. They're vehicles, not symbols, and symbolism is in the eye of the beholder anyway. Plus, who made you the judge of America?

Old 04-17-2009, 09:15 PM

52,706 posts, read 34,534,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by delusianne View Post
Good riddance and not a moment too soon - in fact they're way late (naturally).
you may have missed the fact that the link you replied to is nearly 3 years old.

Old 04-17-2009, 10:10 PM

9,888 posts, read 10,820,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shizzles View Post
I don't feel any particular anger over people owning Hummers. I think it's less about the car and more about the types of people who drive them (Sexually fustrated, white collar, ignorant, "God Bless Muerikka", uber-macho-wannabe douchebags) which give them a bad name.
WOW!! now there is a stereotype! What is Muerikka? The H1 is actually a very heavy duty 4 wheel drive, It is a serious blue collar type rig, can haul a very heavy trailer, great for hunting, because of its weight it will pull just about anything else out of the mud or up a hill. You're stereotype leads me to believe you are talking about something else, or perhaps you watch too much tv. The H2 is basically a tahoe with a different body, no big deal and then the H3 is basically You're soccer moms suv. Probably what you are thinking of!

Old 04-17-2009, 11:19 PM

2,600 posts, read 2,323,979 times
Quote:

UhOh, what are all of those uppity soccer moms going to drive now?

Old 04-17-2009, 11:21 PM

1,030 posts, read 1,453,359 times
Quote:

what about the H2 and H3???
I guess you didn't hear that Obama's appointed saviour of GM is being investigated for shady dealings in NY's pension world?

Old 04-18-2009, 01:44 AM

7,359 posts, read 10,275,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbkaren View Post
As much as I dislike those awful looking tanks, I don't begrudge someone from owning one. Good grief, what country do you think you live in?
A country on a planet that is dying. The days of being able to buy anything you want are over, when what you want to buy contributes to dirtying the world for everybody else. "Freedom" doesn't mean a helluva lot when the air isn't fit to breathe. The next generation will not be looking too kindly on this one if we continue to act like spoiled children and ruin their future.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies