Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2008, 01:49 PM

8,323 posts, read 15,173,018 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmarquise View Post
men have no choice in this matter. yes, they can choose to use a condom. but once they get a girl pregnant, the time for choice ends. then it's ALL about the womans right. men should have the RIGHT to walk away from a pregnancy too with no financial obligation. because whether or not you wish to believe it, there are deceptive women out there just looking to get knocked up and lie about taking birth control. that can ruin a mans life.
Same could be said for deceptive men. They willingly conceive what will be a child, but as soon as the thought of "responsibility" hits their heads, they just walk away leaving the woman holding the bag. And without any sort of financial assistance from the dead-beat sperm donor, that can ruin both the woman and child's lives.

Sorry, but there are too many deadbeat fathers out there already for it to become legal for them to just walk away.

I guess before two people do the deed, maybe they should talk about the possibility of pregnancy. If the couple doesn't feel right talking about it, then they shouldn't be doing it.

It takes two to tango - and just because the sperm donor doesn't want the child should not remove his (even just financial) responsibility as the biological father.

But when it comes to the abortion aspect of all of this - abortion is legal. Abortion is a choice that many women have to make. The first story speaks about how her reasoning was a serious medical condition that left one of her children dead, and the other living on one kidney (it's probably not easy on that child). To me, that's a viable reason to not force a child to live with those conditions.

As for the woman who is 31 and a "survivor", that's a great thing for her.

I, personally, would be rather ticked off if I had an abortion that didn't work.

Old 06-09-2008, 01:49 PM

8,577 posts, read 7,853,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PG77 View Post
hey, jmarquise, thats cold
when you think about it. if a man gets a woman pregnant, it's 100% her decision. if she wants an abortion, it's her choice. if she wants to keep it, it's her choice. but either choice she makes, the man is responsible.

Old 06-09-2008, 01:50 PM

8,185 posts, read 12,641,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valley Native View Post
I find it odd (and rather amusing) that so called "pro lifers" rant & rave more about the unborn being killed than children who are abused, molested, or murdered after birth. As far as the unborn not being classified as real people, I'm afraid I have to agree because LEGALLY, they aren't considered human beings until birth. A good example is the Census. The unborn are not tallied as part of the official population count. So you adamant "pro lifers" are going to have to change the way the Census Bureau operates (as well as change other laws) before you can get abortion completely banned.

Oh, and you don't think abortion existed BEFORE 1973??? Terminating of pregnancies occurred without much thought long before the 1970s, only illegally, and by very unsafe, unsanitary methods! The bottom line is: make abortion illegal, and you will be turning the abortion clinics into black market operations. They will still exist, but in the back alleys where women will have a much higher chance of severe infection or even death. But many ardent "pro lifers" would rather have the mother suffer or killed just as long as the baby survives. Such compassion!
()
What a load of bs. So people who are against abortions (or in this specific case second and third trimester abortions) don't care about abused or neglected children? where do you get that? From these forums? Because I have yet to read a post from a prolifer saying "oh? baby raped and murder? Big deal, don't care"

I know that abortion is of course an emotionally loaded issue. But is there any logic in making "all prolifers.." statements? I certainly am not reading any 'all pro choicers..." diatribes. At least not yet

Abortion is here, and it will never go away. That is a fact. However, I think that pro and anti abortion proponets can agree at least that it should be a measure of last resort and done humanely to both mother and baby. In other words, second and third trimester abortions should be banned. The use of the morning after pill should be used much more. As should the availability of contraceptives.

sigh. Not every pro lifer is out to subjegate women as well as not all pro choicer is not out to put an abortion shop on all street corners.

Old 06-09-2008, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuharai View Post
Same could be said for deceptive men. They willingly conceive what will be a child, but as soon as the thought of "responsibility" hits their heads, they just walk away leaving the woman holding the bag. And without any sort of financial assistance from the dead-beat sperm donor, that can ruin both the woman and child's lives.

Sorry, but there are too many deadbeat fathers out there already for it to become legal for them to just walk away.

I guess before two people do the deed, maybe they should talk about the possibility of pregnancy. If the couple doesn't feel right talking about it, then they shouldn't be doing it.

It takes two to tango - and just because the sperm donor doesn't want the child should not remove his (even just financial) responsibility as the biological father.
there are lots of dead beat dads out there. I think it would be nice if a man would have a say in an abortion then. the mere fact that the men have NO choice one way or another is wrong.

Old 06-09-2008, 01:53 PM

3,758 posts, read 8,442,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmarquise View Post
there are lots of dead beat dads out there. I think it would be nice if a man would have a say in an abortion then. the mere fact that the men have NO choice one way or another is wrong.
I think they should have a say.

Old 06-09-2008, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PG77 View Post
I think they should have a say.
I am sure that there are lots of cases where men don't believe in abortion and the woman does.

Old 06-09-2008, 02:00 PM

1,725 posts, read 3,115,622 times
Some men actually want the baby and are horrified, sickened, and deal with the emotions from a woman who kills their child. These men offer to raise the child on their own...but have no legal rights whatsoever when the mother kills their baby.

Of course, it makes complete sense to me why men would be in favor of abortion...they can sleep with women and just say "hey babe, get an abortion"...but I'm baffled at how a woman could be OK with the tortuous death of her child because "the timing isn't right in my life" or "i made a mistake"...when there are people out there who would love that child as if it were their own.

Second and third trimester abortions are so barbaric and revolting; how any mother could do that...let alone a "doctor" is beyond me. BBKaren is right...you know if you're pregnant by 3 months. Although this still disturbs me...it's much different having an abortion when you're 6 weeks pregnant than when you're 26 weeks...

Old 06-09-2008, 02:03 PM

3,454 posts, read 7,411,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valley Native View Post
I find it odd (and rather amusing) that so called "pro lifers" rant & rave more about the unborn being killed than children who are abused, molested, or murdered after birth.
What?! That's B.S.

Old 06-09-2008, 02:05 PM

68,330 posts, read 54,411,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaBee View Post

Second and third trimester abortions are so barbaric and revolting; how any mother could do that...let alone a "doctor" is beyond me. BBKaren is right...you know if you're pregnant by 3 months. Although this still disturbs me...it's much different having an abortion when you're 6 weeks pregnant than when you're 26 weeks...

I agree with this, I think there should be a distinction made when discussing abortion. I'm pro-choice but would not support second/third trimester procedures except for medical reasons.

Old 06-09-2008, 02:11 PM

3,454 posts, read 7,411,391 times
I thought I was a weirdo...I really thought everyone thought about this in black/white.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies