Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2008, 02:21 PM

16,225 posts, read 27,444,467 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbkaren View Post
I thought I was a weirdo...I really thought everyone thought about this in black/white.
You're not a weirdo, there are many of us in the gray area. What's right for one, may not be right for some. I don't think there is a really good reason for abortion after the first trimester. Unless the pregnant woman was in a coma, I can't believe she wouldn't notice the skipped periods, nausea, swelling body parts, etc. I fear that a lot of the legal "red tape" is what drags the process out, which is why there can't really be any hard, steadfast rigidity in this area (among other variables). The mom-to-be's health condition is another aspect to consider in late-term abortions. There's just so many things that differ from case to case.

For those men who say they don't have a choice in the matter - you most certainly do - keep your pencil in your pencil box and PROBLEM SOLVED.

And to the OP - I can think of far more "disgusting" things we could hear and read about every day if the right to choose were taken away. You can watch the movie "Cider House Rules" to get a whiff of it.

Old 06-09-2008, 02:22 PM

14,044 posts, read 27,229,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
I agree with this, I think there should be a distinction made when discussing abortion. I'm pro-choice but would not support second/third trimester procedures except for medical reasons.
I'm pretty much in agreement with you and the original poster of this sentiment, Mamabee. If you can't make up your mind to abort the pregnancy within the first 100 days, time should be up.

Old 06-09-2008, 02:33 PM

15,171 posts, read 18,570,776 times
This is indeed an emotional and personal issue, and I do not stand in judgment of anyone who has had an abortion. However, I vehemently oppose late-term abortions, and consider it murder. Once you see a sonogram of a ‘fetus’ during various stages of development, and witness the body movements (thumb sucking, stretching, leg crossing, yawning, etc.) and hear the heartbeat......it is a life, plain and simple.

Old 06-09-2008, 02:37 PM

10,655 posts, read 18,670,066 times
Abortions are no longer performed after 24 weeks (unless for severe fetal defect), and the saline method has not been used in decades, so I'm not sure how those stories are quite relevant.

Old 06-09-2008, 02:45 PM

1,725 posts, read 3,116,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtoli View Post
Abortions are no longer performed after 24 weeks (unless for severe fetal defect), and the saline method has not been used in decades, so I'm not sure how those stories are quite relevant.
They're relevant because a man who holds these views is running for President and vowed that one of the first things he would do is sign the Freedom of Choice Act, which would allow this behavior again.

Although a baby may not be able to physically survive outside the womb before the 24 weeks you mention (some have as early as 22 weeks) they do have feeling and movement prior to that; not to mention brain activity.

Old 06-09-2008, 02:51 PM

Did you even research the Freedom of Choice Act? It does not change the current time imitations. Saline abortions will not be reintroduced. The Freedom of Choice act simply reinforces Roe v. Wade.

Search Results - THOMAS (Library of Congress)

From the New England Journal of Medicine:
"Functional maturity of the cerebral cortex is suggested by fetal and neonatal electroencephalographic patterns...First, intermittent electroencephalograpic bursts in both cerebral hemispheres are first seen at 20 weeks gestation; they become sustained at 22 weeks and bilaterally synchronous at 26 to 27 weeks."

The majority of late term abortions are performed due to fetal defect, and it is a very small portion of the whole.

Last edited by newtoli; 06-09-2008 at 03:05 PM.. Reason: added link to the Freedom of Choice Act

Old 06-09-2008, 03:11 PM

8,754 posts, read 10,173,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbkaren View Post
What?! That's B.S.

People that care about unborn children are much more likely to also care about children being abused or molested...it is called compassion. Also, if the unborn is not a person, why when a pregnant women is murdered, the murderer can be charged with a double homicie?

Old 06-09-2008, 03:13 PM

Are you seriously trying to say that people who support abortion rights care LESS about children being molested or abused? Are you SERIOUS? What an ignorant statement.

How about compassion for a teen who became pregnant after being molested????

The double homicide only applies after fetal viability - you cannot abort after that point.

Old 06-09-2008, 03:19 PM

1,725 posts, read 3,116,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtoli View Post
Are you seriously trying to say that people who support abortion rights care LESS about children being molested or abused? Are you SERIOUS? How about compassion for a teen who became pregnant after being molested????

The double homicide only applies after fetal viability.
I would say that the most ardent supporters of abortion really do care less...they seem to be the sort of people who only care about ones self.

Abortion Statistics

Quote:
Why women have abortions
1% of all abortions occur because of rape or incest; 6% of abortions occur because of potential health problems regarding either the mother or child, and 93% of all abortions occur for social reasons (i.e. the child is unwanted or inconvenient).

47% of all abortions are performed on women who have had at least one previous abortion.

Old 06-09-2008, 03:21 PM

1,167 posts, read 1,521,011 times
I'm very sure that pro-life advocates feel very badly for the teenager who gets pregnant from the incident, but that doesn't mean they don't feel badly for the life that is created by that incident either. The unborn child is just as much a victim of the incident as the teenager is.

On the other side, I don't think anyone said that the pro-choice people didn't think it was sad. There is compassion on both sides. It's just that some people have more compassion for the people who already screwed up their life than they have to the person who is completely blameless in the whole ordeal. (And no I am not talking about the aforementioned incident I am talking about people who willingly participate in sexual activity resulting in a child then proceed to abort said child)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies