Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-10-2008, 03:23 PM

24,620 posts, read 28,276,554 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by paullySC View Post
Barring being the result of rape or at risk for serious illness or death getting an abortion is an exercise in immaturity and irresponsibility. If they're not willing to have the child they shouldn't be having sex.
Obviously, you like to blame women for everything, men should be keeping their members in their pants.

You forgot to take your reality pill today. Kids don't learn about sex at home and school is a just say no kind of place.

Got any real solutions other than vilifying women?

Old 06-10-2008, 04:16 PM

2,935 posts, read 4,999,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by camping! View Post
So random clumps of cells in and on your body have a heartbeat and brainwaves? Good god woman get yourself to a freakshow --- theres money to be made
I'm not a woman I'm a group of monkeys. If you look back in the past you will notice we were talking about fertilized egg cells and mindless embryos, we meaning the group of monkeys that constitute my imaginary self whose words you are reading. jlkjj;jjkjkljlkjlkjkljughhgtdfcvk See, there their coordination got off for a second and look what happened! Fertilized egg cells don't have heartbeats and brainwaves. Monkeys do, however. We should know, but we don't because we're stupid monkeys.

Last edited by fishmonger; 06-10-2008 at 04:24 PM..

Old 06-10-2008, 04:38 PM

8,185 posts, read 12,636,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishmonger View Post
I'm not a woman I'm a group of monkeys. If you look back in the past you will notice we were talking about fertilized egg cells and mindless embryos, we meaning the group of monkeys that constitute my imaginary self whose words you are reading. jlkjj;jjkjkljlkjlkjkljughhgtdfcvk See, there their coordination got off for a second and look what happened! Fertilized egg cells don't have heartbeats and brainwaves. Monkeys do, however. We should know, but we don't because we're stupid monkeys.
hmmm, can't support an argument so turn into stupid monkeys? Novel approach

Old 06-10-2008, 04:50 PM

I have always been that, as you would know if you had read and comprehended the various arguments that I have accidentally involved myself in, such as those fought over the existence of embryonic brainwaves.

Old 06-10-2008, 04:53 PM

20,169 posts, read 24,324,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishmonger View Post
I have always been that, as you would know if you had read and comprehended the various arguments that I have accidentally involved myself in.
Speaking of accidentally....

Old 06-10-2008, 05:05 PM

That's not a monkey.

Old 06-10-2008, 05:29 PM

10,503 posts, read 15,563,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeledaf View Post
Speaking of accidentally....

This is a chimpanzee

Old 06-10-2008, 08:54 PM

335 posts, read 1,028,872 times
Pretty simple.
Interesting how you don’t respect the choices that others make for their own lives.
How does another person’s actions affect you in any way?[/quote]
Interesting point.

[quote=AaronK;4049839]Oh yeah, the inconvenience of coming up with 300 bucks must be so difficult for these pro-deathers. These pro-murderers need to come up with a new gig besides the reproductive rights argument, and the difficulty of making the decision.[/quote]
You are pro-life this much is clear and entitled to your opinion. ProChoice individuals believe that a woman has the right to make the choice of what she chooses fit for her body and herself regardless of the reasons. There are many reasons why women choose to have abortions but I will refrain from stating these since these reasons have been stated over and over on this forum.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AaronK View Post
I'm pro-life, you being pro-death. I respect women's rights as much as anyone.

I'm a Catholic, anti-death penalty, anti-war conservative republican. I don't think vegetarianism has anything to do with anything, although I don't eat red meat.

I urge you and all other pro-deathers to seek professional help on your tendency to lean towards murder of little babies. It is kind of sick in a very morbid way.
lol! We have a comedian on board! No professional help needed only decisions that are made by the individual that has the right to make them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbkaren View Post
I'm vehemently pro-compassion. If a child's brain and nerve system are developed, he or she can feel pain and fear. So that's a no-go for me.
Quote:

In my opinion, if you're too ignorant to know you're pregnant by 3 months, you need to suck it up and make a contingency plan to deal with your "mistake" and make arrangements for adoption.
Scientists tell us that the fetus has no awareness and no pain sensations until after the fifth month of pregnancy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by newtoli View Post
What about the 14/15 year old who is too scared to tell her parents, until it's obvious? Or the incest victim? Rape victim who was ashamed and in denial? Couple who finds out their fetus has no brain or hydrocephalus? There are too many blurred lines for me to agree with pushing back to first trimester only.

And you have the right to your beliefs. You don't have to apply them to yourself.
Hydrocephaly is one of the most common cases for late term abortions. The fact that your child has the half of his/her top head missing and the little to no brain activity and only roots and sucks due to primal instinct not because they recognize the action is sad. The reality that these children die within hours of being born.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbd78 View Post
I don't like abortion, I don't agree with it as a form of birth control, and I honestly don't know why women are not more careful about using a reliable form of birth control because it certainly doesn't look like a fun procedure. (I know birth control can fail, but since most methods are 99% effective, I would guess a lot more abortions are performed because birth control was skipped and not because it was used and failed.) I think if they are going to be performed, they should be performed in the first trimester in most cases. I don't like it, but I don't think it should be outlawed.

I think there are exceptions to every rule. For severe birth defects, why should a woman be forced to carry a child to term that can not live because it has a severe birth defect? Often these are not accidental pregnancies, but women who wanted the baby more than anything and find it has a horrible birth defect and can not live, and it is completely heartbreaking. Many birth defects cause the child to be much more than a little slow. I actually have a brother who was born with a chromosome disorder, he is 27 and needs constant care, can not speak or do anything for himself. My Mom is still at SAHM at 53 years old. You certainly can't put a person like this in daycare, and in my state there is a shortage of group homes. (He has been on waiting lists for years.) He needs constant 24 hours a day care. Would my Mom have aborted him if she had the option? Probably not. But my parents are in a loving marriage and handle their situation wonderfully. But I do think people should have the option to do what they see best for their family and their situation. For those of you that are against abortion in any circumstance, I wonder if you would feel differently if you were in a situation like this. Also, AaronK, I see you are in Illinois, as I am. Know that if you ever find that your fetus has a severe defect, you aren't going to get much help from the government should you choose to carry it to term:
Illinois neglects special-needs citizens -- chicagotribune.com
I am hesitant to agree with later term abortions, I feel if they are to be done they should be done within the first 3 months. I am glad to hear that your brother made it into this world however who is going to care for him when your parents are gone? As a parent that would be my biggest concern, it is too often heard that adults with cognitive delays are throwinto institutions and are abused or neglected, I hope you feeling the way you do you will take charge after your parents are gone after all a choice was made.

Quote:
Does "viability" have anything to do with whether the baby is in or out of the body?

If a baby is born at 22 weeks and is requiring "exceptional assistance" and two weeks later it's decided that he's always going to need care, and mom and dad decide it's not worth the effort, is it okay to kill him? At that point he's at 24 weeks.
You have to understand that some parents be it that they want a child more than anything in this world think more about the quality of life. Some of these parents are not equipped to care for these types of children let alone fathom the possibility that should they try for moralities sake...what happens if they cannot?
And then face the possibility of putting the child in an institution? You need to understand all the facets and factors before you condemn.

Old 06-10-2008, 09:12 PM

3,454 posts, read 7,408,842 times
Not trying to condemn, just feel out the parameters.

If it's okay to abort a child at 24 weeks in the womb, is it okay to kill him or her out of the womb? Maybe nothing gruesome, since now somehow they've become a "baby" and that'd be awful...but, I don't know, just let him or her starve or something?

Many babies are born earlier and survive just fine. How can someone say a child has no awareness or pain sensations when babies are born often at around that age, and clearly have both awareness and pain sensations?

Does fear and pain become a sensation that only exists after exiting the womb? I hardly think so.

Old 06-10-2008, 09:29 PM

8,185 posts, read 12,636,605 times
Quote:
Not trying to condemn, just feel out the parameters.

If it's okay to abort a child at 24 weeks in the womb, is it okay to kill him or her out of the womb? Maybe nothing gruesome, since now somehow they've become a "baby" and that'd be awful...but, I don't know, just let him or her starve or something?

Many babies are born earlier and survive just fine. How can someone say a child has no awareness or pain sensations when babies are born often at around that age, and clearly have both awareness and pain sensations?

Does fear and pain become a sensation that only exists after exiting the womb? I hardly think so.
I agree with you. If viability is the only impediment to abortion I wonder what will happen when the age of viability gets younger and younger. Will abortion proponents move with that line or will they stubbornly hold dear to an age determined in what was really still the dark ages of obstectrics?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies