Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-10-2008, 06:17 AM

10,655 posts, read 18,670,066 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
Until they have the fetus sucking the life out of their body, the man is out of the equation. Why should a woman be held prisoner for 9 months for something she doesn't want?

As discussed in the numerous other threads on a woman’s right to choose, it’s a matter of definition.

I define a fetus as a parasite, it is not viable.
Once it is viable, it’s a different story (for me).

Pretty simple.
Interesting how you don’t respect the choices that others make for their own lives.
How does another person’s actions affect you in any way?
I 100% agree. The fetus cannot survive on its own without my body.

Old 06-10-2008, 06:44 AM

8,185 posts, read 12,644,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtoli View Post
I 100% agree. The fetus cannot survive on its own without my body.
OK, but what about viability? That age is changing everyday. There are now babies that are born at 20 weeks and survive (of course with difficulty and most have had cp, but not all) does that change the idea of parasite to you? Or as long as 'it' is the body it is considered fair game?

Just wondering.......

Old 06-10-2008, 06:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YoAdrian View Post
Yeah, it's called a human being, and it's very much alive. I wonder if you tell your kids if you think of them as former parasites.
Eek, I was being sarcastic!!!

Last edited by camping!; 06-10-2008 at 06:48 AM.. Reason: wd chg

Old 06-10-2008, 06:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishmonger View Post
They can reproduce on their own as long as I leave them in my body rather than scraping them off. Actually the ones I scrape off are already dead, but I have to say that scraping myself from a fall, while painful, wouldn't make me feel like much of a murderer. Most cells have a huge potential for life, otherwise I'd be dead by now since they'd have stopped reproducing. The cells don't look like I do but neither do the fertilized egg cells. I used to look like one but I was sort of a brainless, unfeeling microorganism at the time so I don't really remember what that was like, sort of like when I was a sperm and an egg that hadn't met yet. It's not clear to me what's so morally different between the two scenarios. Maybe Bush should have bombed a Trojan factory to keep them from making all those rubber WMDs.
So random clumps of cells in and on your body have a heartbeat and brainwaves? Good god woman get yourself to a freakshow --- theres money to be made

Old 06-10-2008, 06:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by camping! View Post
OK, but what about viability? That age is changing everyday. There are now babies that are born at 20 weeks and survive (of course with difficulty and most have had cp, but not all) does that change the idea of parasite to you? Or as long as 'it' is the body it is considered fair game?

Just wondering.......
When a fetus can survive outside of the womb without exceptional assistance. 24 weeks.

Like I said, parasite until it can survive without my body.

Most women having abortions are not out there aborting that late. In fact, most people aborting that late are doing it because of fetal defect. It's not an easy procedure that late in the game.

Old 06-10-2008, 06:54 AM

Quote:
When a fetus can survive outside of the womb without exceptional assistance. 24 weeks.

Most women having abortions are not out there aborting that late. In fact, most people aborting that late are doing it because of fetal defect. It's not an easy procedure that late in the game.
So as medicine advances so does your line between parasite and child? Five years ago 24 weeks was only viable with great assistance. Ten years ago it was rare. Fifteen years ago it was unheard of.

As far as fetal defect goes, that can and does include down syndrome. Do you think that a downs child cannot feel its own late term abortion? What about heart defects? Hell, I'll even put in the children who are missing their brain but only have a brain stem ---- can they feel? Is it a chance we should take? Seriously, can you honestly not see how barbaric a second or third trimester abortion is? Or much like when removing a tick you don't care if it has any suffering when you scrape it off?

Old 06-10-2008, 07:00 AM

1,242 posts, read 2,461,197 times
Quote:

So now we call it exceptional assistance? Like babies just born after 9 months, or people who are too mentally retarded to feed themselves? I call that murder. It's nice to know that some people here support murder. Hence the name, "Pro-death."

Old 06-10-2008, 07:04 AM

As it has been for a while, 24 weeks is the general MEDICALLY accepted standard of viability outside of the womb. If we went along with medically possible, that would have been bumped back by now, but the medical profession has set limits at 24 weeks.

A third trimester abortion is ONLY performed in severe, severe defect cases, when the fetus will die immediately upon birth. They are INCREDIBLY rare, and the methods described in the first post in this thread have not been used for decades.

No, these fetuses are not feeling abortions, if they can feel or not feel, the patient is fully anesthetized regardless.

The fact of the matter is, the great majority of abortions are performed in the 1st trimester. I'm not going to judge anyone (or try to take away the right) to abort later in pregnancy for fetal defects. A late 2nd trimester elective abortion can take 3 days to perform, has a much longer recovery period, and costs thousands of dollars as compared to hundreds. Women are not just laying around and deciding to abort on a whim that late.

Old 06-10-2008, 07:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AaronK View Post
So now we call it exceptional assistance? Like babies just born after 9 months, or people who are too mentally retarded to feed themselves? I call that murder. It's nice to know that some people here support murder. Hence the name, "Pro-death."
That's my personal opinion. You're free to have your own, and apply it to your body however you wish. You can personally consider it "Pro-death" if you wish. I don't.

A baby born after 9 months, or a mentally retarded person, can be put into the care of someone else rather than the "host" and be cared for. A fetus cannot. One person and one person's body alone can support that fetus.

Old 06-10-2008, 07:08 AM

3,454 posts, read 7,412,542 times
Quote:
Show the statistic.
"...In fact, most women who have abortions have had no previous abortions (52%) or only one previous abortion (26%)..."

So, 48 percent of women who have an abortion have had at least one abortion prior.

Oh, and half of those...have had two or more priors.

I'm sure you'll discount that statistic because it comes from a pro-life website:

National Abortion Federation: Women Who Have Abortions

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies