Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2008, 09:01 PM

1,955 posts, read 5,267,721 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cremebrulee View Post
well, fine, but I won't be shopping there any longer....ignorant or not...

You should watch the show...
I don't shop there either, so don't worry. I find Wal-Marts to be horribly dirty and crowded places compared to the other big chains like Target, at least in my part of the country. And I am willing to pay more money to go to a smaller mom and pop store where I can have a pleasant conversation with the proprietor.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2008, 09:05 PM

3,454 posts, read 7,410,714 times
Walmart is a business. They do what they need to to make money.

If they don't pay their employees enough, they get crappy employees.

Crappy employees give crappy service.

Crappy service forces customers to decide if the savings are worth the crappy treatment by crappy employees.

If they employ cheap foreign labor to create a crappy product, customers will decide if the savings are worth the crappy quality of the product.

The market will handle it.

Stop with the perpetual outrage, willya?

And if not for Walmart, where would all those crappy employees be working anyway? (I know, "At the mom and pop shop that Walmart put out of business". Sure they would.)

Old 07-08-2008, 09:08 PM

Quote:
yes, it costs wal mart, 18 cents to make this certain toy over there, and they charge 14.95 in their stores...
Really, are those Wal Mart brand toys? I'll have to look into those. Most of the toys I see in Walmart are brand names like Fisher Price, etc. I had no idea those companies were owned by Walmart.

Old 07-08-2008, 09:19 PM

25,100 posts, read 39,266,002 times
Frankly - this same discussion comes up once every 3 months - almost like clockwork.

I shop at WalMart - and will continue to do so.

Our store is modern, clean, well stocked, attentive employees and with decent prices.

Old 07-08-2008, 09:19 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,495,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbkaren View Post
Really, are those Wal Mart brand toys? I'll have to look into those. Most of the toys I see in Walmart are brand names like Fisher Price, etc. I had no idea those companies were owned by Walmart.
They are not. Walmart deals directly with the China factories that make Fisher Price.

Old 07-08-2008, 09:23 PM

28,897 posts, read 30,274,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbkaren View Post
Walmart is a business. They do what they need to to make money.

If they don't pay their employees enough, they get crappy employees.

Crappy employees give crappy service.

Crappy service forces customers to decide if the savings are worth the crappy treatment by crappy employees.

If they employ cheap foreign labor to create a crappy product, customers will decide if the savings are worth the crappy quality of the product.

The market will handle it.

Stop with the perpetual outrage, willya?

And if not for Walmart, where would all those crappy employees be working anyway? (I know, "At the mom and pop shop that Walmart put out of business". Sure they would.)
if you don't like the outrage, then ignore this entire thread...if you don't agree, that is your choice...but oh, yes I will be outraged that they are treating people so inhumanly...and so should you...yeah, it's business all right...at the cost of human dignity...I won't condone it...never have, never will...so don't go away angry, just please go away....

Old 07-08-2008, 09:26 PM

1,955 posts, read 5,267,721 times
Quote:
if you don't like the outrage, then ignore this entire thread...if you don't agree, that is your choice...but oh, yes I will be outraged that they are treating people so inhumanly...and so should you...yeah, it's business all right...at the cost of human dignity...I won't condone it...never have, never will...so don't go away angry, just please go away....
Do you have anything made in China, Central America, or any other countries/regions where people are treated like slaves? You better throw them out and not buy them any more, as you're part of the problem just as much as the Wal-Mart executive is.

Old 07-08-2008, 09:28 PM

16,259 posts, read 24,766,887 times
I like Wal*Mart. In fact I am a fan of Wal*Mart although I do not buy groceries there. But Wal*Mart is everywhere and always open. Example- you are driving on a long trip and somewhere in rural Kentucky on Sunday afternoon BOOM! There goes a tire! Well what can you do? Call Goober's Phillips 66 station? Of course not because Goober is not open on Sundays or past 6PM on weekdays. But you can always call Wal*Mart and they will tell you how to get there. Put on your 50 mile spare and head over and they have a new tire on in about 30 minutes- even in small town America on a Sunday afternoon. There is a reason Wal*Mart is loved by millions of people.

Old 07-08-2008, 09:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StoneOne View Post
Do you have anything made in China, Central America, or any other countries/regions where people are treated like slaves? You better throw them out and not buy them any more, as you're part of the problem just as much as the Wal-Mart executive is.
...because I'm sure Walmart is the ONLY store anywhere that sells crap made by poorly paid employees in third world countries...

Old 07-08-2008, 09:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevK View Post
I like Wal*Mart. In fact I am a fan of Wal*Mart although I do not buy groceries there. But Wal*Mart is everywhere and always open. Example- you are driving on a long trip and somewhere in rural Kentucky on Sunday afternoon BOOM! There goes a tire! Well what can you do? Call Goober's Phillips 66 station? Of course not because Goober is not open on Sundays or past 6PM on weekdays. But you can always call Wal*Mart and they will tell you how to get there. Put on your 50 mile spare and head over and they have a new tire on in about 30 minutes- even in small town America on a Sunday afternoon. There is a reason Wal*Mart is loved by millions of people.
In addition, are you aware that Walmart allows RV'ers to camp overnight in their parking lots for free?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies