Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-11-2008, 08:13 AM

3,454 posts, read 7,411,391 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilnewbie View Post
I don't need toys, I just need a home that I am happy with... unfortunately, people want to deny me that by stealing from me because I have more money than them... so they can get the toys they wanted with my money... I love Walmart and until someone sells cheaper than Walmart, I will keep shopping at Walmart...
p.s. Walmart sells toys that you can actually use to PREVENT others from stealing from you...it's a win-win!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2008, 09:10 AM

28,897 posts, read 30,279,972 times
Well folks, I gotta tell ya...I have crow to eat...(yuck)...as some of you suggested, the documentary, probably did have some over exhaggerated issues in them that were not true...although, there were some things that are true...

I spoke with a very good friend last evening who is savvy on economics and political events...he straightened me out...

But....as he said, there is true and false in all things, negative and positive in all things...so, I have decided to stay open minded and research this further...

I'm also going to watch it again...and TRY very hard to stay biased...

Thanks much to all of you...for your communications on this subject and for joining in this thread...

Hugs
Creme

Old 07-11-2008, 09:31 AM

Creme, good for you! I know it's so easy to get worked up when you see things like that, and you're a good person for feeling that way!

Old 07-11-2008, 10:27 AM

1,044 posts, read 1,954,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cremebrulee View Post
Well folks, I gotta tell ya...I have crow to eat...(yuck)...as some of you suggested, the documentary, probably did have some over exhaggerated issues in them that were not true...although, there were some things that are true...

I spoke with a very good friend last evening who is savvy on economics and political events...he straightened me out...

But....as he said, there is true and false in all things, negative and positive in all things...so, I have decided to stay open minded and research this further...

I'm also going to watch it again...and TRY very hard to stay biased...

Thanks much to all of you...for your communications on this subject and for joining in this thread...

Hugs
Creme
The truth usually lies somewhere in the middle, I am glad that you are looking at this issue from a clear minded perspective. My point in all of my issues with Walmart and any other company is that it is important to speak your mind and your conscience, and the most straightforward way to communicate these positions is by your buying habits. Your choices in where you shop and what you buy are important and you should feel comfortable with these choices. As a consumer, I express my feelings by choosing not to support Walmart, it might not count for much in the whole scheme of things, but there are so many things in this world that seem out of my control, where I make my personal purchases is something that I can control.

Old 07-11-2008, 01:37 PM

8,231 posts, read 17,322,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
I'm older - so?

I generally don't buy all that much in groceries at WM - some

If you had no insurance - and an office visit was $30 / 40 including xrays? Yes you would

WalMart is a fine company -
No offense on your age, but you have to save a lot less, statistically, than a younger person, so you can afford to buy all the junk- I mean things- that you want to at WM. Which, to me, is not such a fine company.

Old 07-11-2008, 01:39 PM

Why you poke with stick?

Old 07-11-2008, 02:40 PM

339 posts, read 1,518,551 times
I read many comments on this thread regarding the quality of working conditions at Wal*Mart and have also heard some first hand experiences from people who have worked there. Basically I've read and heard both sides of the coin. Some claim bad working conditions and others claim good working conditions. Perhaps some of this is not necessarily just about Wal*Mart per say, and about geography and local culture of the people?

Our experience living in different states (i.e., one in the deep south versus one in the northeast) is that working conditions are quite a bit different in the same type of industry but mostly because the people and the local culture themselves are very different.

Just a thought.

Old 07-11-2008, 07:57 PM

8,652 posts, read 17,243,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StoneOne View Post
Wal-Mart does not make the toys. If you don't like the wage that toy manufactures pay abroad, take your issue to the toy manufacture and boycott the product.

Your post screams ignorance of basic economics. You're implying that $14.77 is going right into Wal-Mart's profit margins. Have you ever heard of costs, transport costs, cost of running a store (wages, energy, taxes, insurance, customs duties on imported goods, etc. etc.)? Not to mention, the need to have some profit - otherwise, why be in business to begin with?
You seem to know..Why don't you do the numbers for the rest of us and let us know how much a , say, 14.77 toy cost wal-mart to put on their shelf..

Old 07-11-2008, 08:07 PM

502 posts, read 1,066,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cremebrulee View Post
used to be and still am conservative, but have since changed to an independent.

but your right, although, I don't think it's all one sided, I know plenty of convervatives who lean towards the betterment of the community....but you get both working on the same committee and it never works....liberal ideas, really sometimes offend conservatives, and they would really rather just back off, because they can't deal with senselessness.....but your right in your statement to a degree...I just don't think it's all liberals and all democrates....some are very diverse from both parties...now if your referring to the complete lefts and complete rights, those who are not diverse....well, then you have made a great big point....in my mind...and some of my friends....those who are so completely to the left or right are very dangerous people, and will absolutely defend a policy even though it doesn't work.

Am I babbling or do you understand?

Creme
babbling

Old 07-12-2008, 03:11 AM

955 posts, read 2,158,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Houston3 View Post
You seem to know..Why don't you do the numbers for the rest of us and let us know how much a , say, 14.77 toy cost wal-mart to put on their shelf..
OK. The latest 10K SEC filing shows the following:

Sales: $374.5 Billion
Cost of Goods Sold: $286.5 Billion (76%)
Net Income $ 12.7 Billion (3.4%)

Please feel free to go throught the entire SEC 10K filings for all of the financial details. But this is a decent broad interpretation.

Wal Mart made a little over three percent on sales last year. Their COGS (cost of average items before general and administrative costs which includes employee salaries) was a little over three quarters of the selling price of their goods.

This means that WalMart probably made $0.50 net income on the $14.77 item that you used as an example. It cost them about $11.10 for that toy prior to overhead expenses like employee salaries, light bill, heating bill, maintenance, marketing costs, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies