Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-10-2008, 03:06 PM

25,100 posts, read 39,269,913 times

Advertisements

If, IF - those of you who rail against WalMart would take an objective look at the products that WalMart carries - and the products that other stores carry - to merely take your ire out on WalMart would, or should, seem silly.

Many, MANY of the products WalMart carries are the EXACT SAME PRODUCTS that Target, K-Mart, Sears, Macy's, Dillards, Kohls, Best Buy, Circuit City and many more carry.

Same products. Same Brands. Manufactuered in the same place -
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2008, 03:57 PM

8,276 posts, read 12,863,269 times
I would encourage you to check out the program on Frontline about Walmart you can view it on the web. They are a scary operation and are ruthless. They are not good for the country as a whole. I guess that will make me a left wing extremist in the eyes of some, oh well so be it. They want to run all grocery stores out of business with their neighborhood markets, They have effectively taken out many other companies in their wake. Wait until Bank of America wakes up and finds the Bank of Wal Mart has run them out too. They make more than $1Billion in sales every day. They will come for any market they think there is money to be made in.

Old 08-11-2008, 04:08 PM

6,762 posts, read 11,632,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cremebrulee View Post
yes, it costs wal mart, 18 cents to make this certain toy over there, and they charge 14.95 in their stores for the same toy...and maybe I don't have the amounts exactly right, but close?

Sorry you lost your job bryan...

Thats called profit. Businesses open to MAKE A PROFIT. Where is it that you are shopping where profits are not being made?

18 cents to make a toy. How much to get it to a freight dock in America? How much to get it from that freight dock to the WalMart distribution center? How much to get it from the distribution center to a store location? How much to get it from the back stock area out on the shelf? How much to ring it up and print a receipt? How much is lost in returned items per year?

The landed and final costs are much different than the per unit price they are paying some factory. Once its all said and done, they are doing exactly what many companies do every day. They simply face scrutiny for being the biggest outfit. Nothing more, nothing less.

Old 08-11-2008, 04:19 PM

104 posts, read 180,504 times
Don't shop there then. Knowing this information (which most people already know by now anyway, and choose to ignore) will not keep me from purchasing an item for $10.00 at Walmart, that I would find at other stores (including Target - which has just as shoddy and even pricier merchandise) for $30.00. It's a dog-eat-dog world. Those presidents (one of which is a distant cousin of mine) fought for the freedom to PURSUE happiness - not the automatic right to happiness.

Old 08-11-2008, 04:22 PM

658 posts, read 831,443 times
Yes this is old news. People who love cheap imports defend Walmart. People who love small towns attack it. It comes down to choice, low prices or your community. With Walmart, you cannot have both.

Old 08-11-2008, 04:44 PM

18,949 posts, read 43,628,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
If, IF - those of you who rail against WalMart would take an objective look at the products that WalMart carries - and the products that other stores carry - to merely take your ire out on WalMart would, or should, seem silly.

Many, MANY of the products WalMart carries are the EXACT SAME PRODUCTS that Target, K-Mart, Sears, Macy's, Dillards, Kohls, Best Buy, Circuit City and many more carry.

Same products. Same Brands. Manufactuered in the same place -
I know, but it has been explained a thousand times on here and some people still don't get it. K-Mart and TG&Y was importing cheap crap from overseas long before Wal-Mart started.

Old 08-11-2008, 06:34 PM

2,008 posts, read 3,327,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StoneOne View Post
I agree. This video is left-wing propaganda against a company that has done far more to help the economy - through job creation and lower prices - than any big-government social welfare program could ever hope to.
funny, considering that many wal mart employees are on welfare.... I thought welfare just drags us all down? Looks like we get to pick up the tab for the walton's fortune...

Old 08-11-2008, 08:25 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,796,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cleatis View Post
funny, considering that many wal mart employees are on welfare.... I thought welfare just drags us all down? Looks like we get to pick up the tab for the walton's fortune...
It has been said that some are eligible for food stamps and/or medicaid. What is the difference between them and the workers at K-Mart, Target, etc? Do these other places pay so much higher wages? Do the "Mom and Pop" places? I doubt it.

Old 08-12-2008, 01:10 PM

2,008 posts, read 3,327,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
It has been said that some are eligible for food stamps and/or medicaid. What is the difference between them and the workers at K-Mart, Target, etc? Do these other places pay so much higher wages? Do the "Mom and Pop" places? I doubt it.
Agreed, but no one made the claim that K-mart and Target were a godsend for an economy either.

Old 08-12-2008, 01:37 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,877,697 times
Many o9f teh same wo0rkers were on welfare working at local owned stores making less with no health insurance at all and no benefits at all. Local owners were often the riches people in a town because they did not compete with anyone and charged high prices for the same goods wal-mart odes. They still do but not they have to compete. Noone owes anyione else a living asnd its better for pweole to shop for the lowset prices on anyhting. Competition is good. Sears ands the local stores were the first to bring in japnaese goods and even had their own brands on them. They also charged a very high prices for this junk compared to what wal-mart does, I say buy where you like;but just liike american cars peole are not going to buy junk just because its made in the USA.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies