Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-20-2008, 10:14 AM

23,861 posts, read 24,119,613 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sickofnyc View Post
You really do not get the point, which is really sad because it is fairly simple to comprehend. When you flock to Walmart you are supporting a corporation that is undermining our economy. Walmart is utilizing cheap labor in China which is depriving our country of jobs.
I don't know how old you are, or if you remember, but Wal*Mart used to have a "Made in USA" policy. Everything they sold was made here, and they marketed the heck out of that fact. It didn't work. Their customers went elsewhere, because they could get the same things for less money, and they didn't really care that the products weren't "Made in USA".

Wal*Mart tried, and the people spoke with their wallets. Wal*Mart is giving consumers exactly what they want. If you have a problem with that, take it up with the consumers - don't blame Wal*Mart.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2008, 10:21 AM

27,624 posts, read 21,133,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luiso View Post
Its close to impossible to find American made .
Last yr I looked high and low for good American made flat screen and closest I found was partially assembled in USA .

Who knows what partially means maybe 1% .
Some things like pots,pans,etc yes I buy American but electronics among other things like simple window shades I could not and I looked
At least you are making the effort. If people boycotted China made products and products made anywhere under unfair labor and trade pollices, the demand for American made would be such that more things would once again be manufactured here. As I said in a previous post...Americans are the enablers. As long as the customer base is continuing to buy the crappy stuff from China and other places, the more we will be in debt and the more we are weakening our manufacturing base. Most people do not give a thought to what the consequences are in order to save a few cents for junk that they don't even need. Everything thing that we do has a chain reaction and if this country does not wake up, we are going to become a banana republic.

Last edited by sickofnyc; 11-20-2008 at 10:37 AM..

Old 11-20-2008, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by swagger View Post
I don't know how old you are, or if you remember, but Wal*Mart used to have a "Made in USA" policy. Everything they sold was made here, and they marketed the heck out of that fact. It didn't work. Their customers went elsewhere, because they could get the same things for less money, and they didn't really care that the products weren't "Made in USA".

Wal*Mart tried, and the people spoke with their wallets. Wal*Mart is giving consumers exactly what they want. If you have a problem with that, take it up with the consumers - don't blame Wal*Mart.
I have said in other post on this subject..."the people here are the enablers."
With that said...Walmart is guilty of many terrible policies, so they are certainly not victims of unfair accusations.

Old 11-20-2008, 10:36 AM

3,326 posts, read 5,342,175 times
Quote:
At least you are making the effort. If people boycotted China made products and products made anywhere under unfair labor a trade pollices, the demand for American made would be such that more things would once again be manufactured here. As I said in a previous post...Americans are the enablers. As long as the customer base is continuing to buy the crappy stuff from China and other places, the more we will be in debt and the more we are weakening our manufacturing base. Most people do not give a thought to what the consequences are in order to save a few cents for junk that they don't even need. Everything thing that we do has a chain reaction and if this country does not wake up, we are going to become a banana republic.

I emailed Sears, Circut city headquarters asking if they could get an American flat screen as their stores did not carry it. Both nicely said in a round about way "No".

Sears did suggest "partially" built in USA so went with that and its fine but again partially means who knows what.
My dryer,washer are built in USA

Old 11-20-2008, 11:03 AM

1,763 posts, read 7,336,888 times
Lol. Blame Wal-Mart, but don't ever blame the consumer.

We are all tricked in to paying less for crap we don't need! And those poor workers who got paid for working? What the hell is that all about? I mean they were forced to go work there at gunpoint. I'm sure they were promised an 85K/year income and a company car, but then they got the shaft!

OMG! Alert the internet.

Old 11-20-2008, 01:47 PM

488 posts, read 1,176,991 times
Well, after reading 21 pages of this I think I will continue to shop at walmart. To each his own. It is sad that some American workers and unions have priced themselves right out of their jobs.

Old 11-20-2008, 02:04 PM

972 posts, read 1,331,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 01Snake View Post
Boohoo. I think I'll head over to Wally World and buy some of them poisonous toys.
I have told all our family, do not buy anything made in china for our kid. No more after the lead paint being found in all those major line toys.

Toys Made In America -- Extensive List of American Toy Companies
and
Etsy :: Your place to buy and sell all things handmade is a good place to find handmade USA crafty type toys, quilts.

It's very hard to find toys not made in the USA, its so frustrating. We buy this stuff why cant it be made here to our standards. And we wonder why our economy is in the trash.

Old 11-20-2008, 03:43 PM

23,861 posts, read 24,119,613 times
Quote:
I have said in other post on this subject..."the people here are the enablers."
With that said...Walmart is guilty of many terrible policies, so they are certainly not victims of unfair accusations.
Unfair accusations such as these?

Quote:
Our economy is in the sorry state affairs that is in due to a struggling middle class as corporations such as Walmart raking in the money.
Quote:
Walmart completely knocks out the competition because of it's enormous size, which in turn causes mom and pop businesses to close.
And my favorite -
Quote:
Using the Huffington Post as a source in a debate does NOT help your position...

Old 11-20-2008, 04:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by swagger View Post
Unfair accusations such as these?

And my favorite -

Using the Huffington Post as a source in a debate does NOT help your position...
You must be aware that there are numerous sites that will confrim the very dishonorable, less than fair policies of the Walmart Corp. If anyone has any sense of patriotism and social responsibiltiy, they would do the research. You come to their defense as if you are the heir to the Walmart fortune.

Old 11-20-2008, 05:19 PM

11,578 posts, read 13,952,362 times
Quote:
You come to their defense as if you are the heir to the Walmart fortune.
I'm sure the 1.8M people they employ might feel different as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies