Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-13-2008, 10:21 AM

8,489 posts, read 20,651,257 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cremebrulee View Post
well this show, showed, how an entire community fought them. And won...preventing them from building in their area...

yanno, I forgot to say this before, but one gal was actually abducted from a wal mart parking lot and raped and killed....you wouldn't believe all the crimes committed outside in the parking lots of wal mart...it's a haven for criminals, b/c they know, wal mart is to cheap to pay for survellence, and yet, if you'd see their mansions/estates....un freakin believable! How dare they treat human beings as they do....you wouldn't treat a dog like that!
I am sure that there have been abductions and rapes from the parking lots of every major chain store in the nation. This really has nothing to do with it being a Walmart.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2008, 10:24 AM

8,489 posts, read 20,651,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by denverian View Post
I try to avoid WalMart but was short on time the other day and went into one to pick up one thing. What I noticed was how everyone working/shopping, no matter what race, appeard to be very poor. I actually saw three female employees talking to one another and NONE of the had TEETH! What, they have no dental plan at WM? Probably not.
Damn, I never knew I was very poor. I thought I was doing o.k.
Guess I better go sell one of my cars or houses and get some money.

Old 08-13-2008, 10:38 AM

40,951 posts, read 49,206,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by denverian View Post
I try to avoid WalMart but was short on time the other day and went into one to pick up one thing. What I noticed was how everyone working/shopping, no matter what race, appeard to be very poor. I actually saw three female employees talking to one another and NONE of the had TEETH! What, they have no dental plan at WM? Probably not.
Another way to look at this is that maybe Walmart was providing jobs & income to people who were not employable elsewhere. Would you want these people working at your office ?

Yet it provides them a wage & hopefully keeps them off welfare.

Old 08-13-2008, 05:00 PM

27,214 posts, read 46,761,394 times
I'm not poor and shop at Walmart....maybe because it saves me money....and I also go to Target and other stores...and Walmart creates a lot of jobs for people....
IMO Walmart and bad teeth has nothing to do with each other...it is just a choice of bad hygenic and maybe other issues.

Old 08-14-2008, 01:06 PM

4,108 posts, read 10,805,860 times
Wal-Mart is simply being targeted b/c it's the "biggest, baddest boy on the block." Consider plastics, housewares, toys, clothes, automobile parts, etc. Where are most of them made nowadays? That's right, China, paying workers wages of $1.00 per day.

Tell me if any of the following diverse array of retailers do anything considerably different: Costco? Target? Meijer? Walgreen's? CVS? Rite Aid? Macy's? Dillard's? Dollar General, Dollar Tree, Kroger, Winn-Dixie, HEB, Publix...any of these guys?

In the late 1980s, Wal-Mart enacted a policy stating that if the purchase offer of a U.S. made product is no more than 10% of that of a foreign made product, the company would automatically purchase the U.S.-made product. To my knowledge, the company has not retracted that policy.

Here's some more food for thought: there is a combination of things that are inhibiting the U.S. from producing cheaply anymore:
  • President Clinton's spike of corporate income taxes in the early 90s.
  • President Clinton's 1993 bill reducing military funding, including new technological innovation by 80% over the gradual course of ten years.
  • President G.H.W. Bush's signed NAFTA agreement w/ Mexico and Canada.
  • The IRS continues to add crafty nuances to the tax code for corporations. Granted, corporations offset their tax bills to us, the consumer, so that we pay for it. However, American corporations have $10 TRILLION (this is not a mythological figure) of assets based just offshore in places like the Bahamas and Bermuda. (Until we considerably streamline our tax code and lower the corporate income tax, then...yeah.)
All of these factors are contributing to the corporate downfall of America. These are why corporations are having their goods manufactured overseas. Corporate greed is only a small part of the picture. Why blame "evil" Wal-Mart?

By the way, I work at Wal-Mart.

Old 11-18-2008, 11:40 PM

3 posts, read 14,089 times
I do shop at WM because it is right up the street and cheaper than any other store in my area. I believe foreign workers are treated poorly and underpaid. Then again they might not have work at all if it weren't for these companies.I think we all need to do our part in making the USA a country we are proud of. Time to start taking those cloth bags to the stores. Use our yards to grow some of our own food. Buy less frivolous. Seems to me we have everything we need to sustain ourselves right here. We need to scale down and improve on that. May be a few less auto companies will reduce the competition and the companies making better products will get even better. Greed has certainly made its mark on history. I think we need to start with ourselves. We don't need ten pairs of shoes, a new phone every yr., don't need to eat out twice a week or pay $100 to get our hair done every six weeks. Don't need to spend thousands of dollars for Christmas presents. We need to start blamming ourselves for the atmosphere of this country.

Old 11-18-2008, 11:42 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,441,267 times
corporate america agenda. the 1st step is to get somebody in china to work for 18 cents an hour.
next step is us.
form unions now.

Old 11-18-2008, 11:57 PM

972 posts, read 1,331,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cremebrulee View Post
I just watched on a channel called Movieplex, the most dispicable, shocking and deplorable way, Wal Mart Does Business...

Unbelieveable and so shocking, you'll cry.

http://www.walmartmovie.com/

I will no longer walk into a Wal Mart...ever again! And this is what American Companies are doing. Greed, just plain Greed!

They farm all their manufacturing of their products out to 3rd World countries...they pay these workers 18 cents an hour (I think as I was so shocked by all the information on this documentary, I could not retain the information and plan to watch it again) ..the workers are trained to lie, actually taken into meetings and told how to lie so when the inspectors come in, about how many hours they work, about how many days a week they work...and if they don't do what they are told, those people are beaten...or fired. Is it no wonder that now and then some of our products have been sabotaged...oh, yeah, this is Good American Foreign Policy....no wonder other countries hate us? We have become barbaric and will do anything for money, and get rich quick schemes...even at the cost of human lives????

Wal Mart, has survalence cameras outside over looking their parking lots...but no one working them...they scrolled down on the screen how many crimes were committed at the parking lots of Wal Mart...unfathomable....unbelievable...that Wal Mart Cares so little for their employees and customers. Have you ever gone into a Wal Mart Store and asked for a big bag for your items...they don't have them...to expensive?????

They showed the estates of the owners and CEO's of Wal Mart....dispicable...how they could wallow in their riches at the cost of human beings....

I will never shop in another wal mart store again....I don't care how they advertise they are doing better...remember, everytime you purchase an item at Wal Mart, you are making them rich, and allowing them to treat their manufacturers deplorable wages and conditions.

And I'm certain Wal Mart isn't the only company...I think any company in America that would farm their work out to 3rd world countries, at the cost of quality customer relations to line their pockets with money are an insult to the integrity of the United States.

It is down right Greed.

I am so angry and upset...these people should be made to move to these countries where these people are actually slaves and made to live there....period, they should be driven out of the U.S. This is not what the U.S. grew on, and it is becoming an insult to those great men, like Adams, Jefferson, Washington, Franklin...for all they fought hard for so that American's could live free from this kind of behavior.

This is appauling, disgraceful...and makes me embarrassed that I have shopped there constantly...never again!

Creme
another reason we do not need the columbia trade agreement signed. Because of the way they treat their labor.

Old 11-19-2008, 12:17 AM

61,288 posts, read 87,441,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mimimomx3 View Post
You miss my point.
Many of the 'quality' manufacturers you named manufacture products specifically for WM that are cheaper and of cheaper quality. My point is that many WM shoppers - most- shop for stuff they don't need. It's slothful consumer overspending. You are a retiree, I believe, and have plenty of disposable income, fine for you, but many of the WM customer base does NOT, and really should be working on saving and not accumulating debt for a bunch on cheap junk.
i am a retiree. i buy food there. but to the marie antoinette folks i am a slothful spender.

Old 11-19-2008, 12:25 AM

714 posts, read 1,539,794 times
If your going to stop shopping at Wal Mart that's fine, but you need to quit shopping EVERYWHERE then. See..unless it is a truly local store, then your post is pointless.

It's simple econ 101. If you can make 20 shirts in one hour b/c you are fast and have been doing it forever, and I only make 5 shirts in one hour b/c I don't have the fancy machine and I am not very motivated or fast.

BUT I can make 20 jars of applebutter in an hour b/c I am a pro and you can only make 5 b/c you are not motivated and are slow.

We'll then...it makes sense. You make the 20 shirts, I'll make the 20 jars of applebutter. Then....we trade. We both get the two items we need in a shorter time and in a more efficient manner.

For those that are going to start making fun of the example refer to the original post. Sometimes it needs to be spelled out.

Furthermore, I don't doubt that some of what is said is true, but things like shaving hours and doing what is asked by your boss happen everyday. It's not right, but people want the paycheck so they do it. Get over it. I won't disclose my relationship with Wal-Mart, but here's what I know with my own two eyes....The people that work there are 1 of 4 categories that I place them.

1.) They are uneducated, no one else would even think about hiring them, no skills, have likely made the wrong choices most of their adult life and have grown up a weee bit and decided know they should be paid $50,000 b/c they grew up and are trying to do right. They gripe, they do a good job somedays and other days they rant.

2.) Young people who are hard workers and have no intention other than to move right up the chain to upper level management and more than likely have a corporate position in their list of goals. The faster up the chain the better, so they work their butts off.

3.) Older ladies and gents that have had a career, maybe even a business of their own that are just working to have interaction and feel needed and earn extra money. They are great people and do a great job. They work set schedules and demand respect from the young kids they have as managers.

4.) Female mothers of teens or early grandkids.... who have a husband that makes a decent living. These people work in positions like "claims" and "receiving".

Wal-Mart is the "American Dream" and you can't punish them for being good at what they do. Obviously they have put people out of business, but they also have created millions of jobs other than Wal-Mart employees. I would think each store alone has about 300 plus full time vendor reps. Almost all of those jobs are salary positions, paid by the company they represent.

That's fine if everyone hates Wal-Mart, but just say I don't like the place.....don't talk about "Made in America" b/c unless you devote endless resources and time, it's likely that you buy from all over the world everyday....in almost all of the places you shop. From your hair salon chemicals to tire bolts on your car. And don't think that all of those "Mom and Pop" stores that are out of business only carried American items...it just simply isn't so....

I love Wal-Mart and will continue to shop there. I do jump at the chance to support local farmers markets, and any shops I know are local.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies