Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-10-2008, 03:34 PM

25,100 posts, read 39,269,913 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by doubbltunman View Post
I don't know what your getting at, Japanese auto makers are non union, and last time I looked, most floating around here in Annapolis, Md are not domestic.
Let's see: Ford Explorer (most popular SUV), Expedition, Chevy Suburban, Lincoln Navigator etc

Perhaps you should look outside of your little sphere and realize there is a whole big world out there - and it does not revolve around unions -
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2008, 03:38 PM

28,897 posts, read 30,279,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
Wehn you are on top everybody tries to beat you down. There incrasing sales tell waht the public thinks along with costco,sam,s and other such business models. The haters can just pay more for the same thing if they like.
Hey Texdav...how are u? I have to say, I don't agree with you on that one..some will of course be jealous and try to beat you down...but I believe truly, if your a sincere person, who is not afraid to make decissions...do what is best for the whole instead of one person...I think most people would not only respect that man..but also, be happy for his success? I dunno, maybe it's just me?

Old 07-10-2008, 03:44 PM

28,897 posts, read 30,279,972 times
well, I think you've all made some very good points, and offered some great food for thought...the show I'm talking about is on HBO ondemand, I saw it last night...so if anyone is interested in watching it and coming back with any feedback, I'd surely welcome constructive conversations...

ok, I'll admit...I'm not the sharpest point when it comes to economics...but what I don't like is what is happening to America and our society...we've not progressed, but actually regressed....people are becoming dislodged from the truth...we are becoming individulists...I fear our country is loosing the great power it once had...and I don't mean being bullies...I mean, strong economy, strong army and continued education, both moral and intellectual. If you look back in history, when did every great nation fall? When they became over taxed, immoral and corrupt, hence all the crime. We've become a nation of instant gratification and quick fixes.... We are only as good as our leaders...and if our leaders are corrupt and not held accountable, so will there follows be....do you think they care about human decency? I don't know what the answers are...and America is still the greatest nation in the world to live in...but, if we don't stop being so greedy...I fear we'll fall very soon? But if that documentary has one ounze of truth to it...is it no wonder so many other countries hate us? I hope and pray, the next president of the U.S. gets the ball rolling in the right direction...but I also think, we the people have to stop whinning and start getting involved?

I also see happening in other countries, the same thing that happened here...in America when the Unions were first formed...they're repeating history, using the desperation of people...to keep their bonus's and profits big, and to heck with the laborers...without those laborers they'd be nothing...and all the people who work for you and under you, are the ones who make you look good.

There will be a great loss of jobs in the future, great poverty, laziness more crime due to desperation, and a loss of the ability to think for oneself...this is the quickest way, to take over a country...

If you look back in history, the easiest way to gain control is when people become desperate...and of course, 3rd world countries have been so for a long time.

I don't like to see people being used...or hurt...I don't care where they're from...

Call me unintelligent, idealogic, whatever...it just doesn't feel right to me...there has to be a better way?

My goodness, what will be left here in America in the way of jobs?

Last edited by cremebrulee; 07-10-2008 at 03:52 PM..

Old 07-10-2008, 08:04 PM

8,231 posts, read 17,322,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbkaren View Post
All due respect, seriously! BUT:

1. Who is anyone to determine what is slothful overspending, or decide who spends their money on what?

2. Retirees have plenty of disposable income? I need to go hit my parents up for a loan

3. Again, WM customer base's spending habits are none of our business. This is America.

Thx for listening
Well....being that this is a discussion forum, and you need an opinion to have a discussion....that's mine.

1)I think most people spend too much money on things they don't need rather than save. My opinion. I have no power to enforce that, btw.

2)I was directing my comments to Greatday, who has all kinds of consumer 'goodies' and is obviously one of those retirees who can afford them.

3)WM's customer base is everyone's business- why not? You're right, this IS America, and the first amendment still applies...

You're welcome for listening.

Old 07-10-2008, 08:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
No, I am not retired.

And, many customers of WalMart are shopping for products, goods and services that they do need - you provide no acknowledgment of this fact. They are shopping there to save money for products, goods and services they need.

And now that WalMart is setting up Medical Clinics in many stores around the country - clinics that will help provide healthcare services at lower costs - it sounds as if you would not want consumers to avail themselves of these services -
Are you a 'seasoned citizen'? From all your posts, I kind of thought so. I know you have grandkids!

Of course there are products at WM that some people need- I alluded to the fact they sell groceries, after all. No bigger need than that.

Medical clinics? I wouldn't go there unless I was in dire need. You get what you pay for....

Old 07-10-2008, 08:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
Well - milk at our Walmart is not over $4.00. And, most of my prescriptions are generic and are $4.00

So, maybe it is something local
Our local Walgreens, CVS, Randalls and HEB (grocery stores) have a long list of prescriptions for $4.00. It's not a WM thing exclusively.

Old 07-10-2008, 08:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mimimomx3 View Post
Are you a 'seasoned citizen'? From all your posts, I kind of thought so. I know you have grandkids!

Of course there are products at WM that some people need- I alluded to the fact they sell groceries, after all. No bigger need than that.

Medical clinics? I wouldn't go there unless I was in dire need. You get what you pay for....
I'm older - so?

I generally don't buy all that much in groceries at WM - some

If you had no insurance - and an office visit was $30 / 40 including xrays? Yes you would

WalMart is a fine company -

Old 07-11-2008, 07:27 AM

2,836 posts, read 3,496,916 times
When Socrates was asked who among mortals was accounted most near the gods - he answered: "Those who want the fewest things." Diogenes Laertius., Lives, "Socrates," XI. And, surveying the fair at Athens, he is reputed to have said: "How many things there that I do not want."

Old 07-11-2008, 07:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wendell Phillips View Post
When Socrates was asked who among mortals was accounted most near the gods - he answered: "Those who want the fewest things." Diogenes Laertius., Lives, "Socrates," XI. And, surveying the fair at Athens, he is reputed to have said: "How many things there that I do not want."
Well - Greatdays motto is: He who dies with the most toys wins!

Old 07-11-2008, 07:56 AM

20,187 posts, read 23,861,848 times
I don't need toys, I just need a home that I am happy with... unfortunately, people want to deny me that by stealing from me because I have more money than them... so they can get the toys they wanted with my money... I love Walmart and until someone sells cheaper than Walmart, I will keep shopping at Walmart...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies