Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2008, 12:11 PM

1,774 posts, read 2,809,974 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sukwoo View Post
Do you have a problem with Little Italies too? Your lack of knowledge of our history is evident. It's like you don't realize that immigrants have ALWAYS formed their own enclaves where they could speak their own language, read newspapers in their native language, worship in their own churches, etc. If it was okay for the Germans, the Poles, the Greeks, the Jews, the Czechs, and the Irish, why can't the Mexicans, the Haitians, and the Nigerians do the same?
Amen.....Amen....Amen.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2008, 12:14 PM

932 posts, read 1,678,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by averagejoe76 View Post
I wonder why diversity is so great for the USA and Europe but..
Noone is screaming that China,India,Etc is not diverse!
Well if you would just go live over there then maybe they can be diverse!!!!

Old 08-14-2008, 12:17 PM

2,732 posts, read 6,769,167 times
How many little Italy's still exist???3 or 4 real ones NYC,Boston,San Fran,Baltimore.
Guess what they became americans like many illegals fail to..
But why should they?Theres spanish radio,tv,billboards.
You need need English to get a job.
The Italian/Polish VS todays Immigration point fails...
Irish/Italian/Polish came in waves and stopped.
Todays Illegal immigration sees no end in sight with our government unwilling to act.

Old 08-14-2008, 12:19 PM

1,044 posts, read 1,954,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbkaren View Post
I utterly swear I have no problem with the people you mention here. That's what immigration should be about--people who want to be Americans, not people who want to take advantage and demand America's benefits in order to make a "Little [wherever they came from]" and ignore our culture.
Well, I wouldn't dream of going back for a visit to my hometown of Baltimore without taking a trip to Little Italy for dinner. Somehow the Italians and Irish found a way to embrace their new home, while still not forgetting about the culture of their birth country. I see the process down here too, great Cuban restaurants and music, but yet they are very proud of their new country and they love it here. Other groups have a little more of a challenge becoming accustomed to the American way of life, but if they choose to stay insulated in their communites, they will not succeed here and they will be the ones to suffer. I think most will choose to join so that they can really enjoy all that this country has to offer.

Old 08-14-2008, 12:37 PM

1,044 posts, read 1,954,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jnestorr View Post
Somebody please help me here....What is the American way of life?
I'll try to offer from my perspective. First I think it's based on our laws and our system of government which is unique, those who choose to come here usually are very appreciative of those laws, others are not. I also think that our equality regarding women is sometimes new to those who come from Latin American or Carribean nations, women are generally considered equal to men in most situations here in America, domestic abuse and sexism are not usually tolerated. The American way of life also usually focuses on an independence that is not usually encouraged in other countries, this can be a negative and a positive, but it does reflect an "American way of life" that is different from other cultures.
One of the most interesting things that I think signifies the American way of life which is not always embraced by new immigrants is our diversity. I think that to some who come from other countries, it is odd for them to live and work with other races, it becomes a problem if they are unwilling to accept our diverse ethnicities.

Old 08-14-2008, 12:52 PM

872 posts, read 1,714,752 times
Put demographics aside for a moment. the biggest problem the U.S. will face in the next thirty-forty years is the insane population growth. Even if the death and birth rate remain stagnant our country is flooded with legal and illegal immigrants. According to the Census bureau we'll have about 400 million people living here by 2050. More than 50 % higher than in 1990!!! And the dipspits we have in Congress want to "Just let everyone in". We cannot sustain the numbers of people moving here. Crime will and has escalated even in rural and semi-rural areas, water shortages will be the norm, public parks + highways will be choked full of traffic with people going nowhere and getting frustrated. If you think going to the DMV sucks now just wait!

Old 08-14-2008, 01:27 PM

20,349 posts, read 19,941,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by averagejoe76 View Post
I wonder why diversity is so great for the USA and Europe but..
Noone is screaming that China,India,Etc is not diverse!
Because China, India, Russia etc. don't seem to wring their hands, fret, weep and worry about other countries not liking them.

That's a distinctly American trait. We're like a teenaged girl dying to be prom queen. Hopefully we'll outgrow it and see to what's in our best interests.

Old 08-14-2008, 01:36 PM

2,732 posts, read 6,769,167 times
Yeah,I see China,Russia,India doing better in the future and America..
Falling behind.We have become too P.C. to deal with serious problems.
We let politics get in the way instead of common sense.
We are losing low-skill jobs yet letting millions of Illegals flow in..
And Illegals are fueling the population increase.

Old 08-14-2008, 01:38 PM

18,949 posts, read 43,643,059 times
Blacks will suffer the worst from this. They only think White racism has been bad, wait until they see what the Asians and Latinos can dish out.

Old 08-14-2008, 01:41 PM

220 posts, read 381,798 times
bbkaren and LLL98:

In the future America (provided that the country holds itself together) there will be no dominant ethnic, racial, linguistic, or cultural group like there was in the past. It will no longer be meaningful to talk about American culture or the American way of life. Such will not exist.

It is a futile exercise to hold on to the past in this country.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies