Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2008, 08:38 AM

2,732 posts, read 6,769,167 times

Advertisements

Im just curious why would one Ethnic group(Euro-Americans).. Desire/embrace the concept of becoming a smaller demographic? Theres Diversity and then theres is insanity.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2008, 09:04 AM

1,044 posts, read 1,954,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by averagejoe76 View Post
Im just curious why would one Ethnic group(Euro-Americans).. Desire/embrace the concept of becoming a smaller demographic? Theres Diversity and then theres is insanity.
Why does it matter? Being a minority in terms of my ethnicity means nothing to me personally, in fact, my children will be of mixed ethnicity and I see that as a good thing. The arguement as to whether we can all get along and work together cohesively should not be based on whether we all look the same, it should be based on whether we are all able to see and embrace our similarities that have nothing to do with race and everything to do with us being Americans.

Old 08-15-2008, 09:09 AM

8,978 posts, read 16,562,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arf Arf View Post
By 2042 I doubt "black" or "hispanic" or "asian" will be a very dominant ethnicity either. With so much cross-breeding, the color lines are truly blurring. There are millions of people who don't identify with the age old assumptions of race and ethnicity. We're going to see many who are just "multi-cultural". I'm Polish, Ukrainian and Italian. Yeah, my skin is white. But more importantly, I'm AMERICAN. Why can't people focus on that?
Honest answer? Because being 'just an American' sounds corny, sappy, and drab. Today's ethnic activists would tell you if you're 'just an American' that means you've turned your back on 'your people'.....or so I'm told.

Silly? Of course it is. Obviously, becoming an American DOES entail some 'turning of one's back' on the past. Just like becoming a college graduate involves 'turning one's back' on being a High-School student. This should be common sense, and should in no way entail any sense of disloyalty to one's ancestors. But, for some people in today's hyper-sensitive world, being 'just an American' simply doesn't sound exciting. They want something with a little more 'pizzazz'.

At least that's my opinion...

Old 08-15-2008, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by averagejoe76 View Post
No group really 'sets out' to become a minority, nor does anyone 'desire or embrace' that position. It will happen as it happens, by natural processes. The question in our society (theoretically, a society based on the willingness to submit to common societal standards, and to live voluntarily under commonly-applied law, without regard for race or ethnicity), is "CAN one have a fair chance at participation in society REGARDLESS of whether he's a minority or not?". That question is crucial...because if we're going to insist on dividing ourselves up by ethnicity, then the answer is probably "no"..that we probably CAN'T get along, unless we institute a 'police state' government to MAKE us all get along.

If, on the other hand, most of us, most of the time, see ourselves and our neighbors as our "fellow American citizens" (and if citizenship MEANS anything), then possibly the answer will be "yes"..it IS possible for all of us to share in the 'dream'...at which point, being, (or not being) a minority will be of no consequence one way or another.

Old 08-15-2008, 09:26 AM

2,290 posts, read 5,547,040 times
The first 40+ years of my American life has been as a racial minority. When I become a member of the non-white majority, I will remember how to regard the minority.

Old 08-15-2008, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by backfist View Post
The first 40+ years of my American life has been as a racial minority. When I become a member of the non-white majority, I will remember how to regard the minority.
You may find when you get there that there are many broad divisions in the group you describe as 'non-whites'. There's really no such thing as non-white culture, or a united non-white view of life. In fact, you may even find out that other people...yes, even some non-whites...are almost as bad as you've found whites to be. You MAY even find out that you're STILL a minority....just one of many.

In any case, I wish you well.

Old 08-15-2008, 03:05 PM

1,126 posts, read 2,693,758 times
this is pointless, because lots of "Hispanics" have 100% Spanish ancestry. And Spaniards are Caucasians, hence the same as Italians, Germans, English or Russians. The US Census keeps considering Hispanics as "non-whites" when most of them are.

Old 08-15-2008, 03:17 PM

1,058 posts, read 3,489,141 times
Default Hispanics are a cultural group and not a race, but..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hasdrubal View Post
this is pointless, because lots of "Hispanics" have 100% Spanish ancestry. And Spaniards are Caucasians, hence the same as Italians, Germans, English or Russians. The US Census keeps considering Hispanics as "non-whites" when most of them are.
Hispanics are a cultural group and not a race, but most people who are Hispanic are non-white. They are often mestizo (mix of Native-American, African and maybe some Spaniard). Hispanics though can be of any race, but I would bet that only 10% to 15% of Hispanics in the U.S. would be considered White in the American sense.

Old 08-15-2008, 03:44 PM

588 posts, read 947,838 times
I'm not looking forward to 2040. I'd rather not see the US turn into north Mexico or some third world country. It looks like the US will become an overcrowded mess. This is all due to the incompetent, corrupt politicians. We should be able to regulate immigration just like most other countries do.

Old 08-15-2008, 04:10 PM

5,525 posts, read 13,958,585 times
I bet all the WASPish Americans were thinking similar nativist thoughts in the mid-1800s when the nation was being overrun by all the alien Irish, Italians, and eastern Europeans. By contemporary Anglo standards, these immigrants obviously weren't "white". They spoke funny, dressed funny, and had funny religious beliefs (mainly Catholicism and Judaism). They were accused of being lazy, dirty, and criminal. The new immigrants would never integrate successfully into American society, and even worse, they were having too many kids and would soon make the native-born Americans a minority in their own country. You couldn't go into downtown NYC or Boston without being overwhelmed by the presence of all these foreigners.

Human nature really doesn't change, does it?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies