Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2008, 07:26 PM

8,978 posts, read 16,562,173 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LLLL98 View Post
I don't think it's a matter of "either", "or".

It doesn't come down to a choice of whether you embrace diversity, therefore you don't embrace the "American" traditions and values. Or you embrace assimiliation, therefore you don't embrace the infusion of other ethnicities into our American culture. I embrace both diversity and assimiliation. I see no contradiction in valueing both and feeling that they can both be achieved. Our faces can change, but we can all live together and work toward a common goal.

I live in a county where I, as a white person, am a minority. I don't speak Spanish or Creole, I live in a neighborhood with many ethnicities, we are all working class people and we get along fine. Yes, there are some immigrant neighborhoods where people tend to gather, mostly those neighborhoods are inhabited by new arrivals, once people have been here long enough, they prefer to move outside of their comfort zone and enjoy all that this country has to offer. Those who don't adapt and attempt to assimilate usually wind up living in poverty, or they engage in illegal activity which lead them to jail. Either way, this is not the road that most go down, most will learn the language, go to school, enter the workplace and contribute to our society.

Assimilation is not a process of completely shedding your own ethnic identity in exchange for being an American, my family is from Ireland, there was no doubt that my Grandfather was a proud American, but anyone who knew him knew that he was born with 100% Irish blood and damn proud of that too.
In theory, your post should be an obvious 'no-brainer', and that's the way it is (or WAS) supposed to be. Lately, however (say in the last 20-25 years particularly) there is increased pressure to celebrate one's 'roots' (even if those 'roots' are from long ago) at the expense of assimilating. The "old guys" (established Americans, of ANY race or ethnicity) see this for what it is, and can take it in context. "New" people, however, (and there is an ENORMOUS rate of 'new people') do not have the perspective of seeing the 'big picture'. To them, it appears as if they've arrived into a society that tells them there's no hurry to assimilate, and no need to...that their very 'uniqueness' actually makes them more 'interesting' to the rest of us.

New arrivals, with very little history of living in America, know only what they see before them...and what they see (those who've arrived in the past 20 years or so) is a society which tells them they don't "have to" assimilate, unless it suits them....that there's no particular reason to assimilate, other than one's own desire to.....and if they DON'T, that's OK, too. That's a very bad message, IMHO, to give ANY 'new' person, in ANY new situation..whether it's a new job, a new course of study..or even a new country. If the 'locals' (us) tell them it's 'no biggie' whether they 'fit in', then some may feel the extra effort just isn't worth it.

You spoke of your Grandfather as assimilating as an immigrant. I'm assuming he arrived at least several decades ago. At THAT time, our society still 'pushed' assimilation. Today, it doesn't. Assimilation is now pretty much a matter of personal choice. If you assimilate, that's OK. If you don't, that's OK as well. POOR message to send to the 'newbies' in ANY 'organization', human nature being what it is. Even LEGALITY is now pretty much elective. If you arrive here legally, that's fine. If you arrive illegally, that's fine, too. Again, that's a VERY poor message to give to anyone just arriving here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2008, 07:59 PM

251 posts, read 880,859 times
Exactly,ever notice that asians have there own countries,jews have there own country,arabs there own country,africans there own country, yet when it comes to whites wanting our own country we are all evil racist! this will not come to happen because ill guarantee there will be a revolt before then, whites need to wake the hell up and stop whining about how many cars they have or who has the bigger tv and realize the bigger problem, we are being outbred and killed off in OUR country!

Quote:
Originally Posted by averagejoe76 View Post
I wonder why diversity is so great for the USA and Europe but..
Noone is screaming that China,India,Etc is not diverse!

Old 08-14-2008, 08:05 PM

1,044 posts, read 1,954,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macmeal View Post
In theory, your post should be an obvious 'no-brainer', and that's the way it is (or WAS) supposed to be. Lately, however (say in the last 20-25 years particularly) there is increased pressure to celebrate one's 'roots' (even if those 'roots' are from long ago) at the expense of assimilating. The "old guys" (established Americans, of ANY race or ethnicity) see this for what it is, and can take it in context. "New" people, however, (and there is an ENORMOUS rate of 'new people') do not have the perspective of seeing the 'big picture'. To them, it appears as if they've arrived into a society that tells them there's no hurry to assimilate, and no need to...that their very 'uniqueness' actually makes them more 'interesting' to the rest of us.

New arrivals, with very little history of living in America, know only what they see before them...and what they see (those who've arrived in the past 20 years or so) is a society which tells them they don't "have to" assimilate, unless it suits them....that there's no particular reason to assimilate, other than one's own desire to.....and if they DON'T, that's OK, too. That's a very bad message, IMHO, to give ANY 'new' person, in ANY new situation..whether it's a new job, a new course of study..or even a new country. If the 'locals' (us) tell them it's 'no biggie' whether they 'fit in', then some may feel the extra effort just isn't worth it.

You spoke of your Grandfather as assimilating as an immigrant. I'm assuming he arrived at least several decades ago. At THAT time, our society still 'pushed' assimilation. Today, it doesn't. Assimilation is now pretty much a matter of personal choice. If you assimilate, that's OK. If you don't, that's OK as well. POOR message to send to the 'newbies' in ANY 'organization', human nature being what it is. Even LEGALITY is now pretty much elective. If you arrive here legally, that's fine. If you arrive illegally, that's fine, too. Again, that's a VERY poor message to give to anyone just arriving here.
I see many people coming here who want to be part of America, I am 31 years old, so I am speaking about immigration as I have seen it in my lifetime. I do understand that there is a lag time, and it may seem as if people don't try to engage as quickly as we would like them. However, I often see evidence that people really do want to become fully engaged in our country. When I receive a call at work from someone who speaks poor English, but are obviously trying to communicate with me even though they could easily ask for a Spanish speaking person, I see that as a hopeful sign. I did speak of my Grandfather (actually Great-grand), his family came over in the early 1910s, being Irish, there was obviously no language barrier, which I feel is probably the biggest problem in all of this "multiculturalism" debate. I feel that sharing a common language is essential for the harmony of our country, however, I am not offended when someone speaks another language in front of me, nor do I have a problem with my children being taught Spanish in school. But language is a huge problem, I feel that there is entirely too much tension and even paranoia that comes in to play when there is not a common language being spoken.

As for illegal immigration, our laws should be enforced. Immigration should be a process in which people who value our laws and our freedoms are willing to wait and prove their desire to become a member of this country. I have very little patience for those who feel they are above the law in any situation

Old 08-14-2008, 08:08 PM

1,058 posts, read 3,489,141 times
This may sound radical, but it is possible that the country will actually be broken up into several new countries or pieces of the U.S. will be annexed to other countries.

The south-west will have more in common with Latin America and might actually be reclaimed by Mexico.

The south-east could very easily have a majority African-American population, especially if African-Americans continue the current trend of moving beack south. Who knows, maybe they will form a new African-American republic.

The pacific-northwest will be a colony of China.

Hawaii may seek independence. Is anyone ready to fight and die to keep Hawaii in the union? What about Alaska? I don't think so.

What is left of the U.S., the midwest to the north east, will still be majority white.

The U.S. will not survive after 2050.

Old 08-14-2008, 08:10 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,894,387 times
Minorities they say huh. But we have had this same situation before but just like then it depends on if you include all monorities. From all wirtings I have read the mexicans are the fastest growing.B7ut then you get into how many are actually citizens and hw many not.

Old 08-14-2008, 08:25 PM

5,525 posts, read 13,958,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedWhiteBlack View Post
Exactly,ever notice that asians have there own countries,jews have there own country,arabs there own country,africans there own country, yet when it comes to whites wanting our own country we are all evil racist! this will not come to happen because ill guarantee there will be a revolt before then, whites need to wake the hell up and stop whining about how many cars they have or who has the bigger tv and realize the bigger problem, we are being outbred and killed off in OUR country!
Hmm, I didn't realize that the US was founded as a nation only for white people. I'm not white, and I consider America MY country too.

Old 08-14-2008, 08:29 PM

220 posts, read 381,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nbres;
This may sound radical, but it is possible that the country will actually be broken up into several new countries or pieces of the U.S. will be annexed to other countries.

The south-west will have more in common with Latin America and might actually be reclaimed by Mexico.

The south-east could very easily have a majority African-American population, especially if African-Americans continue the current trend of moving beack south. Who knows, maybe they will form a new African-American republic.

The pacific-northwest will be a colony of China.

Hawaii may seek independence. Is anyone ready to fight and die to keep Hawaii in the union? What about Alaska? I don't think so.

What is left of the U.S., the midwest to the north east, will still be majority white.

The U.S. will not survive after 2050.
I've similarly concluded that a partition of the U.S. is in the offing at some point in the future. Perhaps in another thirty years or so.

Old 08-14-2008, 08:43 PM

Default Well I guess the U.S. had a good run..the party is over.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldTex View Post
I've similarly concluded that a partition of the U.S. is in the offing at some point in the future. Perhaps in another thirty years or so.
I think this sentiment is growing. People of all backgrounds realize that the U.S. is changing rapidly and where it leads nobody knows. Obviously we can not exist in the same manner a before if we add another 135 million people by the year 2050.

It seems that the U.S. had its moment in history like the Roman Republic-Empire and is now in decline. What happened to the Roman Empire? It broke up into many different pieces. The same is likely to happen to the United States.

As I posted before, are you willing to fight and die to keep this country as one or would it just be easier to let everyone take their section and form their own countries?

Old 08-14-2008, 08:54 PM

220 posts, read 381,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nbres;
I think this sentiment is growing. People of all backgrounds realize that the U.S. is changing rapidly and where it leads nobody knows. Obviously we can not exist in the same manner a before if we add another 135 million people by the year 2050.

It seems that the U.S. had its moment in history like the Roman Republic-Empire and is now in decline. What happened to the Roman Empire? It broke up into many different pieces. The same is likely to happen to the United States.

As I posted before, are you willing to fight and die to keep this country as one or would it just be easier to let everyone take their section and form their own countries?
Right.

The key problem is that the American nation is falling into illegitimacy. Traditionally nations have formed because groups of ethnically and culturally similar people made the decision to fuse the destinies of their families. As time continues to pass, Americans increasingly share less and less in common with each other.

Old 08-14-2008, 09:04 PM

Default True...

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldTex View Post
Right.

The key problem is that the American nation is falling into illegitimacy. Traditionally nations have formed because groups of ethnically and culturally similar people made the decision to fuse the destinies of their families. As time continues to pass, Americans increasingly share less and less in common with each other.
Not just that, but we are losing or have already lost our so called superpower status. Russia and China (as well as Venezuela, Zimbabwe, etc..) openly defy us because they sense we are becoming weaker. We are no longer masters of our own destiny.

As we become increasingly diverse we will become increasingly balkanized. Nothing good will come from this radical demographic change. We are now witness to the slow death of what was once the greatest nation on earth.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies