Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2008, 02:13 PM

3,326 posts, read 5,342,700 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeledaf View Post
I was offered 15K to re-up in 1968. (11B Sgt E-5, infantry squad leader.)

It was in cash, spread over a bunk at the Repo Depo at Bien Hoa, Vietnam, by a re-enlistment officer who had bought me a bunch of beers the night before I was to rotate back to the world.

I said "Make it Fifty grand." (This was 1968, remember....)

He said no.

End of (true) story.
-------------

I believe it but its not done that way now lol . I didnt think they had reup bonus till Iraq war began.

Surprised they took that money to the field . I was at Casey in 2ND Korea before going to Afghanistan .
I ETS an E4 no big deal and hated it last 6 months . My thinking changed .

I have seen reup money ill spent in the village by Casey but didn't think it was given before time was served.

They couldnt pay me enough to be 11B as 13B sucked enough and that's a vacation compared to 11B.

I still feel bad for that soldier know you disagree.
I rather see the Chicken Hawk Limbaugh crowd rot in prison than him.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2008, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeledaf View Post
I was offered 15K to re-up in 1968. (11B Sgt E-5, infantry squad leader.)

It was in cash, spread over a bunk at the Repo Depo at Bien Hoa, Vietnam, by a re-enlistment officer who had bought me a bunch of beers the night before I was to rotate back to the world.

I said "Make it Fifty grand." (This was 1968, remember....)

He said no.

End of (true) story.

Are you surprised or expected it ? I am surprised even got that much and I like Mccain but not "new" GOP.

//www.city-data.com/forum/2008-...ccain-6-a.html

Old 08-14-2008, 02:30 PM

375 posts, read 782,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Politico View Post
Yes, but wouldn't common sense tell you that if you sign up for the military, despite what they may tell you to the contrary, the possibility of going to war is inherent? ...Especially when you sign up to serve during a time of war, like the man in question did?
Do you not realize that most recruits are kids just out of highschool? They oft make poor, spur of the moment decisions and don't realize the gravity of their actions until too late. Also there is the whole "believing what authority figures tell you" aspect of the situation, especially if it's someone in uniform...

Old 08-14-2008, 02:44 PM

3,089 posts, read 8,511,859 times
Usually recruiters do not tell you the truth. They say things like oh if you sign up for this job you will not see war at all and you get your college completely paid for.

I do not blame the guy the recruiters lie to people about what could happen to them so they can fill their quota.

Old 08-14-2008, 02:51 PM

25,100 posts, read 39,273,270 times
O-6

Old 08-14-2008, 02:55 PM

1,966 posts, read 2,704,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vagabond View Post
Do you not realize that most recruits are kids just out of highschool? They oft make poor, spur of the moment decisions and don't realize the gravity of their actions until too late.
I do realize that. But I also know that despite the fact that young adults commonly make stupid decisions without realizing the gravity of their actions, even teenagers know that a main function of the military is to fight during war times, and that joining the military in most capacities means agreeing to the inherent possibility that they'll have to be deployed. This is especially true when said teenagers are signing up in the middle of a war. I mean, duh. Even teenagers have enough common sense to know that if you sign up for the military during a time of war, there's more than a decent chance you're going to have to fight in said war. They'd have to be pretty dang idiotic to not realize that, no matter what the recruiter says.

This is all not to mention that the man in question is not a teenager now, and wasn't a teenager when he joined the Army. He was 21 when he joined. He served three years. Then he fled when he was 25. He has been in hiding for four years, and is now 29. He is married and has a child. He knew exactly what he was getting himself into when he signed up. He has now broken his (very important) contract, and will (hopefully) be punished for it. End of story.

Old 08-14-2008, 03:15 PM

20,300 posts, read 22,229,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nitokenshi View Post
Usually recruiters do not tell you the truth. They say things like oh if you sign up for this job you will not see war at all and you get your college completely paid for.

I do not blame the guy the recruiters lie to people about what could happen to them so they can fill their quota.
Not true. Recruiters can not lie to you. They may omit facts however. They may gloss over the things that suck and glorify the mundane but not lie.
These deserters joined understanding there was a war, understanding that war or no war they were now obligated to serve out the term of their enlistment. Anyone with an IQ above 75 knows that when you join up you no longer have the right to decide weather or not you feel like going to work today. You are in the army now....
I am sick of hearing well he was only 18. 18 old enough to drive a vehicle, old enough to be held accountable for making a baby, old enough to know about obligation. Why do people insist on making excuses for others. Its called personal accountability. At what age does it begin? For some never. Deserted at age 25....... Not a youth anymored joined at 21 not an 18 yr old hs grade anymore.... Unless he enlisted for 5 or 6 years he re-enlisted for a bonus. Sorry he gets no walk on this one.
When you are part of a unit you are part of a team. People depend on each other and its lives that might be lost when someone just doesn't feel like its a good day to play soldier.
This man deserves levenworth and all the labors to follow.

Old 08-14-2008, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
O-6

I' m surprised an 06 which I imagine is same as E6 gets that money . He must be impt /good at what he does .

In artillery even an E8 wouldnt get that type money to reup.

Thanks for finding out

Old 08-14-2008, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman01 View Post
Not true. Recruiters can not lie to you. They may omit facts however. They may gloss over the things that suck and glorify the mundane but not lie.
These deserters joined understanding there was a war, understanding that war or no war they were now obligated to serve out the term of their enlistment. Anyone with an IQ above 75 knows that when you join up you no longer have the right to decide weather or not you feel like going to work today. You are in the army now....
I am sick of hearing well he was only 18. 18 old enough to drive a vehicle, old enough to be held accountable for making a baby, old enough to know about obligation. Why do people insist on making excuses for others. Its called personal accountability. At what age does it begin? For some never. Deserted at age 25....... Not a youth anymored joined at 21 not an 18 yr old hs grade anymore.... Unless he enlisted for 5 or 6 years he re-enlisted for a bonus. Sorry he gets no walk on this one.
When you are part of a unit you are part of a team. People depend on each other and its lives that might be lost when someone just doesn't feel like its a good day to play soldier.
This man deserves levenworth and all the labors to follow.
-----------

Your both correct they can't in theory say 'You will never go to war"

but the can phrase it so an 18 yr old doesnt see the big picture.
Never mind 18 year old anyone who doesn't know the military won't see the big picture .

They can say " yes you will be a truck driver who makes deliveries"

And put you like they did to this poor guy in my squad in artillery "deliverying" a Howitzer lol.

It was funny . So yes they can't flagrantly lie but you know how it works.

Old 08-14-2008, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitokenshi View Post

-------
Well said they may not lie (though many do) but they "play" with words,phrases and distort facts .

In my case I wasn't lied to but met MANY who were (facts distorted) .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies