Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2008, 10:00 AM

18,949 posts, read 43,628,834 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by happ View Post

Maybe if the teachers in Texas weren't allowed to hit students they wouldn't fear for their lives [primitive & dangerous reactionaries
Yeah, we can blame all violent students on paddling. In that case I should be a violent person.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2008, 10:06 AM

2,917 posts, read 4,767,728 times
Quote:
Maybe if the teachers in Texas weren't allowed to hit students they wouldn't fear for their lives [primitive & dangerous reactionaries
Maybe if the parents in Texas corrected the children's aberrant behavior at home, i.e., before they came to school, you know what I mean, a whack on the ass, time out sessions, tuff luv, maybe then the ISD at the center of all this would not have had to resort to the situation. If you read the article (which I doubt), you may have noted the parents in that ISD also approved the motions.

Maybe YOU should control your own children? Oh, you do? Well, good on you. We have no need to worry about any little Happs down in the Texas Hill Country getting nailed for being in the wrong place at the wrong time, with the wrong attitude, will we?

Last edited by Delta Planter; 08-16-2008 at 11:03 AM..

Old 08-16-2008, 01:21 PM

5,032 posts, read 12,612,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iq140 View Post
I teach in FL, and some kids do carry guns here. I have seen it for myself. I hope all schools allow teachers to pack weapons in the future. After all, we are on the front lines facing many immoral children whose parents efforts (or lack thereof) have failed them. I don't advocate shooting children. However, I do advocate self-defense. If someone points a gun at me, I will do everything in my power to kill them. That person is past counseling and coddling at that point.
That there is classroom violence is unquestioned but have you ever heard of a teacher being slain in school aside from those rare mass killings in high schools & colleges by psychos?

Rather than arming teachers, school districts need to provide at least one teacher's aid per 20 students & metal detectors at the school entrance. More involvement with the students [including pre & after school tutoring, sports, arts for students w/ working parents]. Family counseling is necessary even if it means going into the home by a counselor each week to help parents learn how to set limits & structure their children's time.

All these programs have helped immensely in very troubled school districts w/ much lower violent incidents in the classroom.

Old 08-16-2008, 01:27 PM

25,100 posts, read 39,269,913 times
Quote:
That there is classroom violence is unquestioned but have you ever heard of a teacher being slain in school aside from those rare mass killings in high schools & colleges by psychos?

Rather than arming teachers, school districts need to provide at least one teacher's aid per 20 students & metal detectors at the school entrance. More involvement with the students [including pre & after school tutoring, sports, arts for students w/ working parents]. Family counseling is necessary even if it means going into the home by a counselor each week to help parents learn how to set limits & structure their children's time.

All these programs have helped immensely in very troubled school districts w/ much lower violent incidents in the classroom.
In schools with 3/4,000 students now - and with insufficient funds to give raises to their teachers - I doubt seriously the money is their for an "aide" and the metal detectors you suggest -

Old 08-16-2008, 01:29 PM

18,949 posts, read 43,628,834 times
Quote:
Family counseling is necessary even if it means going into the home by a counselor each week to help parents learn how to set limits & structure their children's time.
So you're going to say to parents "you're not parenting correctly so we're going to send a counselor to invade your home on a weekly basis whether you want it or not"? I don't see that working. The counselor will be the one who ends up shot (by the parents).

Old 08-16-2008, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
In schools with 3/4,000 students now - and with insufficient funds to give raises to their teachers - I doubt seriously the money is their for an "aide" and the metal detectors you suggest -
Our schools either become a priority or expect more violence. It's like a car that gets no preventive maintenance that then requires major repair cost due to the owner's negligence.

Old 08-16-2008, 01:56 PM

25,100 posts, read 39,269,913 times
Quote:
Our schools either become a priority or expect more violence. It's like a car that gets no preventive maintenance that then requires major repair cost due to the owner's negligence.
The FACT remains, many districts simply do not have the money you suggest / seem to thing, they have. This is REALITY.

The Clark County School District (Las Vegas) is literally unable to hire the number of teachers they need this year. Many of the schools are in poor physical shape.

In Arizona - one High School has Mold - and there is not enough money to remediate it.

Old 08-16-2008, 02:09 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,509,263 times
Happ..all that you are proposing isn't happening. It hasn't happened and with slim budgets I don't see it happening in the future. The ISD is fine with it so why aren't you ?

Old 08-16-2008, 04:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Happ..all that you are proposing isn't happening. It hasn't happened and with slim budgets I don't see it happening in the future. The ISD is fine with it so why aren't you ?
That's why our nation is in decline academically compared to Europe\ Asia. The federal government would rather help the people of Iraq than our own citizens [and why Republicans are losing everywhere

Old 08-16-2008, 04:07 PM

8,276 posts, read 12,863,269 times
guess they can be as armed as their students now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies