Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2008, 12:18 AM

4,426 posts, read 5,920,399 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by twojciac View Post
Which is great... the law doesn't mandate it, or encourage it... it permits it.

Oh gimme a break. With this big epidemic of teachers being stressed why don't we hear about all of the murders due to scissors, staplers, and letter openers? Or perhaps we should ban those because teachers aren't to be trusted.

And what on earth is stopping a teacher from bringing a gun into a school today to mow down students that they don't like? At least if other teachers were carrying concealed it wouldn't be a massacre like we saw at Virginia Tech where students were prohibited from protecting themselves.

And should we ban police officers at schools from carrying guns? They're in stressful situations as well... and they're obviously well armed. What if they decide to mow down some students?

most of my post was in good fun...
but seriously... I don't think fighting fire with fire is a good idea where kids are.. I'd rather see kids have to walk thru metal detectors and have policemen walk the hallways than teachers having guns.. NOTHING should be brought into the classroom that will distract from the point of being there.. disruptive behavior, bigotry, rudeness, violence, or a gun hanging from my belt are all things that would distract from the purpose of being there...if that means my life is at jeopardy more... then so be it.. I'd rather do something right and effective.. than allow a few to influence policies which hinder the learning process... I want students watching what I write on the board.. and taking notes.. not looking at a gun on my belt or trying to spot where my gun is hiding.. and day dreaming of gun battle scenarios...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2008, 12:24 AM

2,935 posts, read 6,717,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boiseguy View Post
most of my post was in good fun...
but seriously... I don't think fighting fire with fire is a good idea where kids are.. I'd rather see kids have to walk thru metal detectors and have policemen walk the hallways than teachers having guns.. NOTHING should be brought into the classroom that will distract from the point of being there.. disruptive behavior, bigotry, rudeness, violence, or a gun hanging from my belt are all things that would distract from the purpose of being there...if that means my life is at jeopardy more... then so be it.. I'd rather do something right and effective.. than allow a few to influence policies which hinder the learning process... I want students watching what I write on the board.. and taking notes.. not looking at a gun on my belt or trying to spot where my gun is hiding.. and day dreaming of gun battle scenarios...
But you aren't going to stop a motivated individual from carrying out a plan of action. As a society we have grown to misunderstand the point of the police. They're not there to stop a crime in progress, they're there to apprehend suspects. If a teacher is licensed to carry concealed, they had to go through a background check and training, and should be permitted to do so.

A gun hanging from your belt is not concealed. I bet you walk past 2-3 people carrying concealed every day and never realize it.

The beautiful part of all of this is that no teacher has to, or is rewarded in any way for, carrying a concealed weapon. But those that wish to defend their life, or the life of others, is permitted to do so. I just don't see anything wrong with that, putting irrational fears aside.

Old 08-29-2008, 12:33 AM

Quote:
But you aren't going to stop a motivated individual from carrying out a plan of action. As a society we have grown to misunderstand the point of the police. They're not there to stop a crime in progress, they're there to apprehend suspects. If a teacher is licensed to carry concealed, they had to go through a background check and training, and should be permitted to do so.

A gun hanging from your belt is not concealed. I bet you walk past 2-3 people carrying concealed every day and never realize it.

The beautiful part of all of this is that no teacher has to, or is rewarded in any way for, carrying a concealed weapon. But those that wish to defend their life, or the life of others, is permitted to do so. I just don't see anything wrong with that, putting irrational fears aside.
the problem is when the students know its now allowed.. they'll be wanting to know where my gun is.... and be full of questions and comments.. that have nothing to do with what I'm trying to do... while I can silence the discussion.. I cannot get into their heads and focus their attention back to learning about what I'm teaching...
I guess when I'm refering to police.. I should have said security guards roaming the halls...

Old 08-29-2008, 01:13 AM

2,935 posts, read 6,717,423 times
Quote:
the problem is when the students know its now allowed.. they'll be wanting to know where my gun is.... and be full of questions and comments.. that have nothing to do with what I'm trying to do... while I can silence the discussion.. I cannot get into their heads and focus their attention back to learning about what I'm teaching...
I guess when I'm refering to police.. I should have said security guards roaming the halls...
So are you willing to say that a fellow teacher who is licensed to carry concealed should not be allowed to protect his life, and possibly the lives of others, because you may have to field questions for 15 minutes?

What about other policy changes? Our district voted to have standardized school dress codes a few years back. I'm sure that created quite a few questions by the students, concerned about why they weren't allowed to wear jeans or t-shirts anymore. Would these changes not be appropriate because it may distract the students for 15 minutes?

Old 08-29-2008, 01:20 AM

Quote:
So are you willing to say that a fellow teacher who is licensed to carry concealed should not be allowed to protect his life, and possibly the lives of others, because you may have to field questions for 15 minutes?

What about other policy changes? Our district voted to have standardized school dress codes a few years back. I'm sure that created quite a few questions by the students, concerned about why they weren't allowed to wear jeans or t-shirts anymore. Would these changes not be appropriate because it may distract the students for 15 minutes?
you need to spend some time in a classroom with students before you think you know how things are going to go... theoretically your point of view makes sense.. i'll give you that.. but something like a gun is a totally different issue than a uniform.. NOT all students are raised in housholds with guns..
as for what another teacher wants to do.. I don't think it is my place to tell him/her what they can and can't do.. I'm only speaking in terms of myself and my opinion.. I'm not totally against the law either.. I'm just coming from a point of view saying we should really think about it more...
If it was allowed privately and quietly..so students do not know of it happening.. then it might be effective.. but students knowing and a big fuss about it.. its sure to raise issues that aren't related to learning.. and those issues will be a lot more lasting than just the discussion of a uniform

Old 09-01-2008, 08:11 PM

5,232 posts, read 8,417,948 times
Quote:
you need to spend some time in a classroom with students before you think you know how things are going to go... theoretically your point of view makes sense.. i'll give you that.. but something like a gun is a totally different issue than a uniform.. NOT all students are raised in housholds with guns..
as for what another teacher wants to do.. I don't think it is my place to tell him/her what they can and can't do.. I'm only speaking in terms of myself and my opinion.. I'm not totally against the law either.. I'm just coming from a point of view saying we should really think about it more...
If it was allowed privately and quietly..so students do not know of it happening.. then it might be effective.. but students knowing and a big fuss about it.. its sure to raise issues that aren't related to learning.. and those issues will be a lot more lasting than just the discussion of a uniform
The students wont have to know & if they ask tell them its simply not their concern, after all they do not set school policy. I'd assume they know that some people outside the school carry & yet they dont go asking everyone they meet, for the most part nobody questions who might be armed as they go about their buisness daily. Its a big deal because people make it one. Adult people for the most part. If grown people didn't act like the sky was falling there wouldn't be a law needing changing. Blame those who enacted the ridiculous "gun free school zones" in the first place, not those that actually care enough to try to do something. The best first step is simply respecting the rights of those who choose to carry.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies