Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-16-2008, 05:22 PM

1,437 posts, read 3,777,168 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wowbaby View Post
honest question here. bars and restaurants are less crowded due to the ban - are you telling me that SMOKING is such a huge part of life that if you can't smoke you can't go? you can't take 2 hours off to eat a nice dinner and smoke once you get to the car? i just dont understand why smokers give up going out and being social b/c they cant smoke inside. i cant imagine having something rule my life so completely that it dictates whether i go out or not.

OR are smokers not going to these places strictly on principle. "i cant smoke there, therefore i am not supporting it" type mentality.

i absolutely mean no disrespect with these questions, i am just curious (and a bit amazed) that smoking will keep people from enjoying a good meal or a fun time with friends in a bar. there is still alcohol at least (for the moment anyway LOL!)
I wondered the same exact thing. In addition, why would you smokers want to stop going to your favorite bar or restaurant in protest or to "get even" as the original poster stated, and hurt the business owners? It's not their fault the smoking law passed. Isn't it selfish of you to hurt their livelihood and punish the business owners? Go write your congressman or picket the legislative office or protest in some other way that doesn't hurt the businesses if you feel that strongly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2008, 05:59 PM

20,273 posts, read 33,026,276 times
So there is a government conspiracy to promote smoking bans, and yet somehow OSHA has escaped the conspiracy?

The truth is just that OSHA isn't tasked with assessing general health risks. Their "permissible exposure limits" aren't designed to take into account, say, children or adults with particularly high sensitivities, and generally their mandate is only to protect workers from "recognized hazards that are causing or are likely to cause death or serious physical harm," a standard that allows increased health risks as long as they fall short of the "likely to" threshhold.

But government bodies like the EPA, Department of Health and Human Services, and the Surgeon General do have a broader health mandate, and they have made clear there are various increased health risks associated with exposure to secondhand smoke. Here, by the way, is a link to the EPA's review of this subject:

Health Effects | Smoke-free Homes Program | Indoor Air | Air | US EPA

And again, the reason the EPA has taken these positions isn't because the EPA somehow got caught in a conspiracy that OSHA miraculously escaped. It just reflects OSHA's much more limited mandate in comparison to the EPA's, one which does not attempt to address the overall question of the health risks caused by secondhand smoke.

Old 09-16-2008, 06:41 PM

109 posts, read 286,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianTH View Post
So there is a government conspiracy to promote smoking bans, and yet somehow OSHA has escaped the conspiracy?

The truth is just that OSHA isn't tasked with assessing general health risks. Their "permissible exposure limits" aren't designed to take into account, say, children or adults with particularly high sensitivities, and generally their mandate is only to protect workers from "recognized hazards that are causing or are likely to cause death or serious physical harm," a standard that allows increased health risks as long as they fall short of the "likely to" threshhold.

But government bodies like the EPA, Department of Health and Human Services, and the Surgeon General do have a broader health mandate, and they have made clear there are various increased health risks associated with exposure to secondhand smoke. Here, by the way, is a link to the EPA's review of this subject:

Health Effects | Smoke-free Homes Program | Indoor Air | Air | US EPA

And again, the reason the EPA has taken these positions isn't because the EPA somehow got caught in a conspiracy that OSHA miraculously escaped. It just reflects OSHA's much more limited mandate in comparison to the EPA's, one which does not attempt to address the overall question of the health risks caused by secondhand smoke.

osha establishes limits based upon at what level humans can be harmed...........period...............dose makes the poison.if your sensitive your gonna be sensitive to anything ,pollen,car exhaust.......... your mothers perfume.........thats a job for an ent or allergist to contend with not govmnt regulations...........the fear factor these people place on shs or ets is unreal and outright lies..........epa and their psudo study from 1993,the one they try and base everything on was thrown out by a federal judge as junk science. Of 28 studies EPA chose the 5 that showed little if any effect on humans as far as shs pr ets was concerned.The rest showed no casual risk at all and said ets or shs was a nusiance and nothing else..........these people are not here for medical reasons their here to impose prohibition on us again.........a step aimed at entering our homes next,all in the name of childrens safety.........ets harms no one not even children...............its a moral sword they use to justify and and condemn anyone who smokes all so that they can push green/progresive laws..........what we dont need is less freedom,what we need is less health scares and the nazis that push it...........

Old 09-16-2008, 06:47 PM

2,193 posts, read 5,804,383 times
Speaking of all of this prohibition stuff, losing or freedoms, etc, etc. Did you know, it is illegal to drink alcohol outdoors on your own property in the wonderful Commonwealth of Virignia? However, it's hardly known about, or enforced, as most feel it's an absolutely ridiculous law Sorry Creepsinc, but I had to throw that out there.

Old 09-16-2008, 06:48 PM

487 posts, read 1,380,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harleyrider1978 View Post
osha establishes limits based upon at what level humans can be harmed...........period...............dose makes the poison.if your sensitive your gonna be sensitive to anything ,pollen,car exhaust.......... your mothers perfume.........thats a job for an ent or allergist to contend with not govmnt regulations...........the fear factor these people place on shs or ets is unreal and outright lies..........epa and their psudo study from 1993,the one they try and base everything on was thrown out by a federal judge as junk science. Of 28 studies EPA chose the 5 that showed little if any effect on humans as far as shs pr ets was concerned.The rest showed no casual risk at all and said ets or shs was a nusiance and nothing else..........these people are not here for medical reasons their here to impose prohibition on us again.........a step aimed at entering our homes next,all in the name of childrens safety.........ets harms no one not even children...............its a moral sword they use to justify and and condemn anyone who smokes all so that they can push green/progresive laws..........what we dont need is less freedom,what we need is less health scares and the nazis that push it...........
With all due respect, this doesn't make much sense.

Old 09-16-2008, 06:52 PM

109 posts, read 286,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bboy36win View Post
With all due respect, this doesn't make much sense.
with all due respect,SHS second hand smoke,ETS environmental tobacco smoke...........anything more and i will have a class to teach folks the facts behind the bans..............

Old 09-16-2008, 08:23 PM

89 posts, read 206,681 times
Tonight was the first time since the start of the smoking ban that my BF and I went our local Italian restaurant for dinner.

I cannot tell you how lovely it was to not have a huge cloud of cigarette smoke waft around us as we opened the front door.

And interestingly, the same number of people were at the bar tonight as were there before the smoking ban was implemented.

Old 09-16-2008, 08:33 PM

13,321 posts, read 22,669,821 times
We did the same. We went into a breakfast restaurant that we were unable to go into before.........and it was wonderful.
A group of four family members backed out of it about a year ago, it was so filled with smoke. So we had avoided it...........
This visit was great. Thank goodness.

Old 09-16-2008, 09:08 PM

20,273 posts, read 33,026,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harleyrider1978 View Post
osha establishes limits based upon at what level humans can be harmed...........period.
That is simply incorrect. Here is the relevant link:

Safety and Health Topics: Permissible Exposure Limits (PELs) - OSHA Standards

Again, OSHA is applying a very limited standard, the one contained in Section 5(a)(1) of the OSH Act, which is the one I quoted before. Their mandate is not, as you claimed, to establish limits where any harm to humans could occur.

Old 09-16-2008, 09:30 PM

4 posts, read 13,784 times
I am a smoker and I have to say that when they first banned it hear I hated it and some businesses did struggle a little..but now it doesnt bother me really to have to go outside. Its just natural now. I remember going to PA before they banned it and actually thinking it was gross to sit in the smoky bar. Dont worry you will get used to it!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies